Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 154 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 162 reviews
on November 11, 2013
The book opens with how the Norse believed in multiple gods because they had not yet found "the one loving God, who is the Father of all, who made them and the world, and rules it by his wise laws." So they attributed the movements of the world to various gods.

If you bought this book to discredit the ancient Nordics, then this is the book for you. If you bought this book to learn about their beliefs unbiasedly, go elsewhere. The agenda of this book is literally written in the first paragraph: Nordic people were stupid because they didn't believe in the Christian god.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone; even as a joke.
77 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2015
When the first paragraph says that the Gods in these stories don't exist, you know the book is going to have problems. I downloaded this to read to my daughter at night to teach her about our Gods. As a Heathen and believer in the old Gods, I find it degrading to discount the entire basis for many religions (Asatrú, Odinism, Lokism, etc.)

I overlooked the beginning and read a bit farther just to give this book a fair shake. Not only do the authors say that Ragnarok has already occurred, but they mislabeled the Aesir. For instance, Sol (Sunna) is referred to as male when she is female. Furthermore, this so dumbed down and child-like it is nowhere near correct. Saying Freyja stayed with dwarves or Loki ran over hills is fine for children, but is takes away from some of the other mythology (the birth of Slepnir, how Freyja obtained Brisigamin, etc.)

If you want a dumbed down clean version of the myths for kids, I guess this okay, but otherwise this book is degrading and just plain wrong.
on May 21, 2012
Before I begin, let me make myself clear: this is a review of this book, not of the stories. I like these Norse myths. They are worthy to be counted among classical mythology. This book, though, is just now what I expected. I was expecting the real thing. Instead, I got a retelling of the stories with a rather irritating, juvenile style. Don't get this! Buy The Prose Edda, The Saga of the Völsungs, or even Tolkien's retelling, The Legend of Sigurd and Gúdrun. This book is a disappointment.
on September 6, 2014
Garbage. Written by a religious BIGOT. Super biased and oversimplified. Whoever the hell this guy is, he's an arrogant ass, and it comes across in his writing. I want to read about Norse Mythology, not what he believes is the proper or right religion. This guy introduced his book pretty much by saying: 'Before i tell you guys about this silly 'religion,' first, let me tell you that there is only one god and everyone who doesn't practice my religion is a fool.'
Even IF you try to get past the fact that he started the book out this way, the writing is terrible, simple, and biased, and inaccurate. I tried to keep reading after that first paragraph and could not because of how simple the writing is. I almost feel like I'm being talked to like an idiot. Glad I got this for free on Kindle because I would have been so much more irritated if I had paid for it.

Bottom line is that if you want an accurate, opinion free depiction of Norse Mythology, you wont find it here.
on January 13, 2014
It would be great if this were an honest representation of the Norse myth but within the first paragraph the author specifies that this was before people knew about the one true god who created everything. You may be Christian but these tales shouldn't be altered to say that these people were wrong from the beginning. This was a peoples religion and many people in scandinavian countries still follow this in one way or another.
The other thing I have to say about this book which rubbed me the wrong way is that it is extremely simplified. The author states in the introduction/preface that they wrote this for children and that most tales of norse myth are over-layden with detail. I understand the authors intention but do believe that the lose of some details do hinder the stories.
Over-all I would not recommend this to anyone in search of true Norse Myths.
on September 15, 2014
To be honest, I picked this book (Kindle edition) because it was free. Reading some of the negative reviews and seeing some of the low ratings I believe is a bit unfair. While I can't say it is a must read great book, it tells the stories in an easy to read manner. There are several other works available of Norse mythology, most notably Prose Edda if you want a more academic reading.

What this version does very well is tell the stories. For those of us who are not already familiar with these stories I feel the author(s) do a credible job of retelling them. They kept my interest and brought the characters to life. While I've known the names for years I learned some of their personalities. If you are a fan of the recent marvel movies, Thor and Avengers, you can pick up a little better some of the small things that at least to me didn't make a lot of sense. Even with that aside they are just great stories.

Don't let the negativity turn you off, this is a good book. If you want a more academic and thorough treatment maybe this isn't for you. But if you just want something to read for pleasure this book certainly fits the bill. One of the better free offerings for the Kindle.
on March 1, 2015
The style of writing in this book was truly enjoyable: easy to understand and therefore quick to conjure up images of heroes and villains, battles and love, loathing and elation. The whole time I was reading it I felt as though a wise, old sage were telling the tales to a group of children, of which I could have been one, around a blazing fire in a faraway village.

If you're an adult with a fascination for this topic then the liberties taken with political "incorrectness" should, rather than put you off, take you back to a time when the world seemed simpler some how, when people weren't so quickly offended by simply saying something someone didn't agree with. If you ARE a child, none of that will matter anyway as the stories sweep you away to a bygone age of magic and wonderment.

I don't write a lot of reviews, but this one's worth the comment, and the download.
on November 3, 2014
A wonderful introduction into Norse mythology. I'm a bit shocked at the outrage of some reviews who seem unable to understand the first few paragraphs of this book- written in 1901 obviously to a Christian audience otherwise unaware of their own mythological heritage.

The stories are presented for the enjoyment of both students and teachers alike. If there is an agenda to this book, it is to present the stories in such a way that will resonate interest among those who lack prior exposure. To attribute a Christian agenda that is somehow biased and insulting is absurd at best and Christiophobic at the very least lacking historical context when this book was written and other basic critical thinking skills.

It's a free download and a quick read, so have at it. If you're looking for more substantive readings on the topic, this might not be for you. If you're looking for basic exposure or bed time stories for the kids, this is a good option.
on April 3, 2014
The opening of this book said that the Vikings were wrong for believing in the God's an that they did because they hadn't found the "one real God" I'm a pagan but I'm very open minded and don't think this author should been so rude in his opening of the book
on February 9, 2017
Read this to my little one for bed time stories. She is still too young to understand the violence and it was pretty light anyway. It is great to understand the stories behind the culture!