Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on August 24, 2017
very good series not just for teens like rated..
on March 23, 2013
Isobelle Carmody started writing this series when she was only fourteen and it just blows my mind away how creative it is. The story line throughout the books is so complex and mysterious that it will leave you breathless. Make sure to read the whole series, Obernewtyn, The Farseekers, Ashling, The Keeping Place, (Wavesong U.S. only) The Stone Key, The Sending (not currently available in the U.S. and the last book in the series which will be released next year, The Red Queen. This books are truly inspirational and teach young girls to be strong. Thank you Isobelle for writing and inspiring me through hard times in my life.
on August 27, 2017
Fabulous
on June 26, 2015
My longtime favourite of the series! Re-reading in advance of the final book release in November!!! I cried so much the first time I read it!!!
on March 7, 2013
Great 3rd book in the series. Very addictive! I would definite recommend this book to anyone, regardless of age, who enjoys fantasy books.
on November 22, 2012
Can't wait till this series is finished so I know what happens. I love the main character and the story is really interesting.
on May 5, 2015
There was a lot that I liked about this book. I loved the level of detail regarding the gypsies and the Sadorians. I also love the character Brydda (who may have been introduced in the previous book, but I've read the first four books all together, so they're kind of a blur). Brydda adds a lot of character to the books, and he seems like someone I would like to know in real life. I am still very happy at the number of strong female characters in the book and that they did well with, rather than in spite of, the male characters.

There are a few things that disappoint me, rub me the wrong way. First, for the amount of importance Rushton is given from the very start, we see next to nothing of him. Of all the characters, his character is the least developed. I am in the middle of the fourth book now, and even there Rushton has been absent for the entire book. On the one hand, one of the things that makes the female characters strong is that they exist outside of their relationships with males, but Rushton ONLY exists inside his relationship with Elspeth, and three (now four, in my reading) books into the series, his presence is only minimal.

Second, while I love the world that Carmody has created, I find the themes of environmentalism, vegetarianism, etc. to be a little overbearing and heavy-handed. I think they are worthwhile themes, but rather than being a subtle backdrop, they carry the entire plot, and we are guided to the PC perspective with the cold bit rather than the gentle hands in the mane or the non-condescending finger signals. It reminds me of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series that started off so great, was such a rush, but ended so bluntly, so thickly environmentalist that the well-told story was all but forgotten. Again worthwhile themes, but they overshadowed the rest of the story. Was that the goal?

Lastly, and maybe this has something to do with reading the novels on a Kindle instead of paperback, but all of the books, and 3 and 4 especially need a good edit, and even a quick run-through with a simple spell-check. Carmody introduces nicknames she has never used previously with no lead-ins or explanation. She uses one-off words that are very near to the word she should be using, but aren't. She misspells simple words and character names. And maybe it's because of the formatting, but there are numerous instances of hyphens being placed in words where they shouldn't be, words being run together, and paragraphs being broken up in random places. Additionally, there are multiple instances of missing end punctuation. Even when the story is engaging, and this one is, errors like these are distracting.