Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on May 4, 2011
Here is a wonderful author who is not afraid to express her views and opinions on what happened in the Asian American Diaspora. She is a skilled writer who engages the reader with ease and makes you want to continue reading. Not only was she the author of this book, but Helen Zia also participated in many of the protests engaged during the Civil Rights Movement. It wasn't just the Black Power movement that made the Civil Rights. It was the combination of coalitions created by all colored and white groups fighting for the same demands of equality, education, prosperity, liberty, and happiness. In Asian American Dreams, she puts into focus certain mind-shaping events that helped propel the Asian American movement during the late 60's and 70's. A must read for any person wishing to understand the Asian involvement in Civil Rights.
on February 12, 2012
This book was very well written and enjoyable. It was bought for a class at Northwestern University, but proved to be more than just another book to read. It showed a part of the Asian culture that is rarely understood by the rest of American culture. I would recommend it.
on March 29, 2000
Helen Zia's book is a must read for all Americans -- Asian or non-Asian. What I like most about the book is simply how wonderfully it is written. It is a pure joy to read. Her account of the Vincent Chin murder and the aftermath is particularly well done; it made me feel like I was there. "Asian American Dreams" is the foremost chronicle of the Asian American scene today, and Ms. Zia is the James Baldwin/Cornell West of Asian American writers.
on May 9, 2015
ok
on November 20, 2002
I remember as a young child, other kids would ask me, "Where are you from?" Even though I was a native U.S. citizen, I would answer "Korea" without even thinking about it. Their response would be a blank stare and a "Where?" They all knew China, and even Japan, but rarely Korea. I grew up thinking that I was from a place that no one knew existed. Now when people ask me, "Where are you from?" I answer "Los Angeles," and I receive the response, "You know what I mean. Really, where are you from?" This question has plagued me throughout my life. People assume I cannot simply be an American - I must be a foreigner.
What Helen Zia has done is taken this universal experience among Asian Americans and transformed it into a quest to learn what it means to be Asian and American. She examines pivotal points in Asian American history and acknowledges racism, but also examines what Asian Americans must do as a whole to become seen as "American" and not as a "gook" or a "chink." As a college student who's done a little bit of research on Asian Americans, it enlightened me on my responsibilites to make my voice heard and also educated me on the history of the Asian American Civil Rights Movement - something that didn't even exist 60 years ago.
55 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2010
I came across this book because I was writing a final paper for a Rhetoric class and had to write on the subject of interracial marriage. As an American-born Asian and second generation, I took the stand for pro-interratial marriage and relationships. However while reading this book, I learned a lot of key events that have occurred in the United States over the last couple decades that helped me understand more deeply about why my parents are so traditional while my aunts and uncles in South Korea are so modern, and why they are so protective all the time. Major themes in the book were youth being in limbo trying to identify with a new culture vs. holding on to an old one. What Helen Zia says we should all be doing is sharing all cultures. We don't have to lose one to gain one. We can be part of all types of cultures fully and wholesomely. : )
on October 9, 2013
I love the stories of Asian Americans, it has extraordinary details, and it express dreams. I recommend this good book.
on September 21, 2013
I've read two chapters so far and there is so much food for thought about justice issues. I think it's helpful in thinking about national solidarity with migrant workers and taxi cab drivers.
on April 20, 2000
A strong contribution to the current scholarship on APIs and issues of civil rights and identity. Through the use of personal anecdotes and civil rights case studies, sends a clear message for a call to action. It encapsulates all of the previous knowledge that I have acquired about our historical pattern of discrimination and how we are viewed by mainstream American into one comprehensive work.
on January 23, 2015