Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 55 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on September 9, 2013
I guess I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could but it's definitely worth the $2.99 streaming rental. I don't understand the negative reviews this movie got from almost every movie critic. I didn't find the characters of Arturo and Camilla to be one dimensional and I thought Hayek and Farrell were very good in their performances and I'm a big Donald Sutherland fan so thought his casting as Arturo's neighbor was a solid choice. I'm not only a big Fante fan but I'm an Italian American who relocated to LA 16 years ago so not only is Ask the Dust one of my top 10 favorite novels ever but I also connected with it on a personal level. So why just 3.5 stars? I thought some of the very big departures from the novel hurt this movie's overall storyline and I also thought the directing was not topnotch and was reflected by the at times plodding pace of the movie. I won't spoil anything in case you want to see it but the movie makes some significant changes to Arturo and Camilla's relationship which I thought unwise. So solid 4 star acting hurt by a 2 star directing effort but Colin and Selma's performances alone make this film enjoyable and she looked beautiful. Makes me want to hop in the car and head to downtown LA and meet my own Camilla Lopez....hopefully things will turnout better if that happens.
on June 5, 2017
It's OK. It tries to smooth out the novel's crazy rough edges and winds up with a much softer kind of sentimentality (although the novel is sentimental enough). It's lovely to watch, but not particularly convincing as 1930s Los Angeles (I think it was shot in South Africa?) Donald Sutherland is a lot of fun, as he was thirty years earlier in a somewhat better L.A. film, The Day of the Locust.
on June 15, 2016
I got to watch Colin Farrell in a totally different light than I'm use to.
I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but if you like Colin Farrell, an awesome smart ass, a beautiful gutsy Mexican female, I really think you'll like this movie. It also has some great comedy in it.
on June 23, 2015
That's what this movie is like. If you loved the book Ask The Dust by John Fante, you'll despise this movie. However, if you love the book and don't despise this movie then I wonder if you really appreciate Fante and truly understand him.

As for me, I decided to buy this movie right after reading the book for the umpteenth time and thought that Robert Towne's(Chinatown) direction plus Fante's prose would make this movie AMAZING. I was WRONG.

If you fancy a sappy and psudo-poignant love story, this may fit your bill. However, if you're a person who's read the book, you'll find yourself confused and frustrated at how the studio blatantly butchers Fante's story. At the very least, the people putting the movie together could have at least cut out a lot of the dialogue that the so called screenplay script writers concocted and instead used more of Fante's beautiful prose as voice over.

Anyway, I went back to the end of the book and found an appropriate passage that sums up the hopelessness I felt about this movie interpretation.

"It was no use. How could I search for her? Why should I search for her? What could I bring her but a return to the brutal wilderness that had broken her? I walked back in the dawn, sadly in the dawn. The hills had her now. Let these hills hide her! Let her go back to the loneliness of the intimate hills. Let her live with stones and sky, with the wind blowing her hair to the end. Let her go that way."

Resignation. I'm not even going to watch the movie with Towne's commentary because I don't want to even know why he thought it was okay to pass this movie off as even remotely being inspired by Fante. Someone needs to do another screenplay treatment of this book and redeem it. I paid $.99 for a brand new copy + $4 shipping. I see copies that are in 'Very Good' condition going for $.01. I paid $.98 too much.
on October 17, 2016
totally not like the book, which had so much depth.
on July 2, 2015
A great performance by Salma Hayek and Colin Farrel in this movie. Its a pretty calm and sweet story that's told. Plenty of chemistry amongst the actors.
on February 13, 2016
I loved this movie the acting was great . I found myself not wanting the movie to be over.
on July 30, 2016
Selma Hayek at her best (looking)! A real fox!
on December 18, 2016
Nhvmjvmjmuv
on February 26, 2012
I loved this film! Colin Farrell is outstanding and Salma Hayek is shouldering. Kudos to Robert Towne as director. I found it to be stylized; the dialogue was cute and worked well and was complemented with beautiful cinematography. Kudos for the director of photography and all those who were involved with the production of this film.