Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $4.64 shipping
Spot It! Basic English
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Fast Paced action game
- Symbol Recognition
- Brain - eye association
- Boost reading skills with Spot it! Matches can be picture-word, picture-picture, and word-word
- Reinforces sight word recognition, reading comprehension, and builds English vocabulary
- Boost reading skills with Spot it! Matches can be picture-word, picture-picture, and word-word.
- Reinforces sight word recognition, reading comprehension, and builds English vocabulary.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Spot it! Basic English boosts emergent reading skills while having fun! Players race to be the first to spot matches between a word and its corresponding picture, between two pictures, or between two words. This educational edition of the best selling Spot it! game includes sight words, the most common words in English. Automatic recognition of words builds confidence and speeds literacy development. Parents can play Spot it! Basic English to reinforce learning at home while bonding with their child. (Also available in Spanish & French!)
From the Manufacturer
After many requests from teachers over the years, Spot it! has been adapted as an educational tool. Spot it! Basic English boosts learning and reading while having fun. The 55 cards in this game feature universal images and words for emergent readers, including sight words. Like the original, the Basic English edition is truly amazing. There is always one, and only one, matching symbol between any two cards. Spot it to win! The match may be between a word and its corresponding picture, between two pictures, or between two words. While the repetition solidifies word recognition, the pictures support reading comprehension. There are three ways to play with different challenge levels. The rule booklet also includes tips for advanced play. In a tiny durable tin, this game is easy to toss in a backpack and take to school, back home, and on trips. Spot it! Basic English is an ideal classroom activity and kids can play at home to practice reading skills with family members.
Top customer reviews
When we first started it, I would tell her this is the word can you find the pic that goes with it. She would sound it out and be very happy when she would get it. After she got better on that I would tell her which card had the word and which card had the pic. Now she is getting to the point where she can play it without needing to always be told which card has the word on it, some she recognizes, some she identifies based on pattern and other times sounding them all out.
If you have never played any of the spot it games, do not buy this first. Get the original version first, have your child love that one before starting on this one.
The Spot It instructions come with 3 mini party games with very easy-to-understand instructions. (If you grab the Spot It game with the hand, those instructions give you 2 more games.) Of course you, or better yet the kids, can come up with more games to play.
Basic game-play involves matching the item on both cards. The Basic English version is the most difficult because it involves matching not just the same visual shape, but sometimes you must match a word with a picture.
Why I absolutely love this for ESL:
1. It's a fun game and the kids all like it.
2. If I find a match first, I can use phrases such as 'same picture/word' or 'this one is a picture, this one is the word'.
3. It forces kids who don't know how to read or who have trouble reading to actually learn to recognize words (and I make them ask me 'what's this' if they want me to read the word for them).
4. For kids who really really can't read, often the word is the same color as the object, so if they're clever enough to figure that out, the kids who can't read can beat the kids who can, which is funny. (Because matching colors is faster than reading words, but the kids who can read will try to read the word first.)
5. The vocabulary is pretty basic but great. e.g. moon, sun, rain, fish, doll, girl, boy, kite, cow, horse, house (they always mix those two words up).
While there are several versions of Spot It and I own almost all of them, the Basic English version is the best for ESL. I would very much like more versions of the game like this -- and I would buy them all. Really.
The tin makes for easy storage and something the kids can roll across the table, and the cards have proven resilient to frequent play. I thought for sure the kids would bend them, but thanks to the way the game is played, I've had no problems.
If you are teaching ESL to kids (~4-13 years old), I highly recommend Spot It! Basic English.
These cards contain a variety of easy words like fish, kite, coat, banana, toy, plane, etc. Most of the pictures are very clear, although the picture of the coat looks like a sub sandwich if you catch it at the wrong angle.
I bought this to use as a relatively easy game to explain and use in a beginning adult ESL class. Of course, my five year old got to it first, so we had to try it out. I didn't really play by the rules with my child. I just asked her to find the pictures and/or words that matched. She really enjoyed it.
When I played it with my students, they were hesitant at first. However, once they grasped the concept, it became quite the enthusiastic game. Even students who were generally reserved in class got very competitive.