Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 638 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 699 reviews
on February 23, 2014
I purchased this game after seeing Will Wheaton's show TableTop on the Internet.

Last night I brought it to a gathering of adults who had never seen a game like it, and were initially put off. After some cajoling, they stepped up and tried it. I won the first game, but everyone else wanted to play it again, and the second time a gentleman won who had been the toughest to convince to play.

The comments I received were like, "This is the most unusual game I've ever played," and, "I'm engaging parts of my brain that I never use!" It was a hit and a half, so if you're reading this you need to get this game.

Best with four, five, or six players. The more players, the greater the experience. Also keep one person in charge of dealing the cards, shuffling and revealing the selections, basically running the game. I filled this role last night since I owned the game. Also, find something to use for an active player token. It will cut down on some confusion.
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2017
First, the box I received didn't come with the old score track as pictured in the photo. Instead of the built-in scoring, it came with the actual playing board with score track on it. This new option is better, and not a mismatch I will complain about.

The game itself is simple enough to teach to anyone and full of light-hearted fun. If you have people in your family or gaming group that enjoy art and abstract thinking, they'll enjoy this game. It's game that can easily be enjoyed with kids while still remaining fun for the adults - always a good thing! Some say the cards in the base game will get boring, which is probably true if you play a lot. This can easily be remedied by adding an expansion or two. This box comes with enough space to store 3 expansions in it, which is yet another bonus in the updated version.

We've come up with 2 player variant as well since the only reason we avoided buying this for so long is that we often only have 2 players. If you do have 2 players, it's still worth having for times when you can play with more, but the 2 player variant will ensure you get more use out if it. Our variant is simple: the active player (giving the clue) will still contribute 1 card and the other player will contribute 2 cards as listed in the 3p variation in the rulebook. In addition, you will draw 2 cards off the top of the deck, without looking at them, and mix them in. BOTH players will then try to guess which card belonged to the player. If the original player's card (the one who gave the clue) is guessed, both players gain 2 points. In addition, if the clue-giver guesses the other player's card, the secondary player gains 1 point. The winner is still the person who gets to 30 points first.
on December 24, 2015
We are a game playing family and we love this game. My only complaint, is that the scoring board is not built into the game as shown on the picture here; instead, it is a long board that folds in half to fit in the box. I was hoping for the one shown, as the image of that and the cute bunny markers were one of the reasons I purchased this game to begin with. As it turns out, the bunnies tend to tip over easily so we don't usually even bother with them and just use pen and paper instead. (The grandkids love playing with the bunnies separately) Lucky for us even though the bunnies were a flop, the game itself wasn't. It is kind of like a picture variation of Apples to Apples with pinch of strategy. Apples to Apples, you can figure out how some people will interpret stuff and more or less play to them if you have the right cards, Dixit is much trickier since everyone is voting, not just one person, and you have to convince some but not all of the other players to vote for your card. We have already purchased 2 more expansion packs and they are all equally as unique and intriguing as the original set.
on December 4, 2015
First off, I did not get what is pictured above or on "TableTop" with Wil Wheaton -I really wish I had, it looks nicer. Instead of a nice three dimensional board to move the pieces around, I received a small flat one-sided piece of cardboard with some wide spaces. It gets the job done, but it doesn't look NEARLY as nice. It's disappointing when the product picture looks so nice and what you get feels so flimsy. In place of that 3D board, the manufacturer has included a plastic black tray with tons of extra room... Perfect for all the extra expansion cards they'd like you to spend more money on. It's enough that it feels like you're missing pieces, but in reality it's a built-in upsell.

The game itself is pretty fun, but I assure you with a group of 4-5 players, you will run out of image cards and have to reshuffle the deck to re-use them. When you start seeing the same pictures on the table more than once, a lot of the whimsy really fades fast. If you're willing to invest in the expansions, which provide an additional 84 cards each, you'll get much more mileage out of the game before that happens. As is, it felt very short on content from the very first playthrough.

I would still suggest this game for families, and for adults as well. But know that you may be getting something a lot more plain looking than what is pictured, and you may need to invest another $20-40 bucks in expansions before it feels like you have everything it was supposed to come with.

If this were a more complicated game, with different card types, or lots of pieces, I would be more understanding. But they got cheap on the product, there's really only one type of content, and they're clearly more interested in selling you more of it, rather than giving you a complete product. $40-50 isn't unheard of for a complete, high quality game, and if that's what the manufacturer wanted from consumers, they should have included a lot more cards, and the nicer board pictured in the product listing -instead, they chose to sell you half a product at what only seems like a good deal until you notice how little there is.
on November 23, 2016
Do you always seem to have the second best card when you play Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity? Well then, you're in luck. Because when you play Dixit that makes you the winner!

In this game, everyone is given a handful of picture cards. Players take turns selecting a word to describe a picture in their hand. Everyone plays a cards that fits that word including the word selector. The cards are laid out, and then everyone but the word selector votes on which card best fits the word for the round. (Obviously you can't vote for your own card.) Then the points are tallied. If everyone voted for the word selector's card, then everyone else gets points and the word selector gets nothing. So if you have a picture of a teddy bear, don't say "bear" for your clue. There are common themes in each of the art decks, but specific elements aren't necessarily in your competitors' hands. For the word selector to get points, at least one person has to vote for their card. That keeps you from randomly throwing out a card that has nothing to do with your word. The other players get points for each vote their card gets, so they're trying to match the word as best they can. Like I said, here it pays to be second best. You want a lot of people to vote for you (to keep your competitors from scoring points), but not everyone (to still get at least some points for your round).

This game is a lot of fun and accessible for non-native English speakers (unlike other games with voting mechanics like Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity, etc, which have heavy elements of American pop culture and slang). The track and scoring system keep the game moving quickly, so games don't take forever to finish. The art is fantastic. It's whimsical and imaginative, and sometimes I have trouble not exclaiming "that's so cute!" when I see new cards pop up for judging. Also, there are expansion packs for when the picture cards start to get stale.
on February 27, 2017
This is a great game. It is interesting when playing it with company you may not know well, which makes it more challenging. I usually play this with my family, which involves children (youngest is 8) and it is relatively easy guessing which card is the kids' cards. But its alot of fun and forces you to use your creativity to convey your card without being too obvious.

The artwork is beautiful and this is definitely not a game I would play with super young children (under age 5) or around drinks or food that could mess up the cards.

Highly recommended!
on February 25, 2016
Never played it. :) Seriously. HOWEVER, my daughters of 5 and 3 love to "play" this game with mom and dad. We sit around and make up stories based on the art on the cards. Someday I will comment on the scoring system, but based on the art and the premise alone, this is a great game.

[Update]: Over a year later and I still haven't played this thing as designed! Ha! Still recommend it wholeheartedly, however. We bring this out every few weeks, lighten the rules, and play a few rounds with the girls. It is great for a cold night where you want them to use their imagination! Not disappointed in the slightest.
on March 1, 2014
I love this game. It's so much fun and so unusual. This is a very social game. You make up stories that go with the cards. Your goal is to trick people- but get at least one person to guess correctly. So for example, if you have a card with a bottle of wine on it- you want to make up a story that won't let EVERYONE guess that card is yours, but you want at least one person to guess it is, or you won't get any points (and everyone else will get points). So you might say- remember what we did in Berkeley last August? And if one person was with you- they'd "get" it, and you'd get points. You also get points for putting down cards that match the "story" of the person whose turn it is, and thus trick people in to choosing the wrong card. I hope I made this understandable- because it's a blast. We had so much fun playing this with friends I went right out and ordered 3 editions from Amazon so I could play with my family. We love it!!!
on August 1, 2016
While I'd seen Dixit in the game stores and on Tabletop with Wil Wheaton, it was lower on my priority list and there always seemed to be something new and shiny coming out to keep it there.

However, after purchasing MysteriumMysterium and watching a "How to play" video, the video creator suggested that Dixit's art cards could be used to expand the available "Vision" cards for that game. I saw it as a great excuse to get both a game and an expansion to a new favorite.

We've only played once, so far, but it was amazingly fast to learn/teach to friends and it went very quickly and we all had a lot of fun. Our game ended when my wife got 30 points AND we ran out of cards, which to me signals a pretty balanced game.

One important point I wanted to make was that we played with four adults, and my son (17) and he's a big part of why I got this game and Mysterium. While not diagnosed autistic, he has trouble with making logical connections, reading body language, and executive functions (consequence planning). In Mysterium, he got a little frustrated in the vagueness of the visions he'd received, but for the most part could make valid connections. With Dixit, he had less frustration issues, despite being in last place most of the game. He could often make good connections on other player's clues and cards and guessed right as often as I did. However, as the "active" player, he usually gave a clue that was so on the nose, we couldn't help but finding his card. I wanted to add this note to my review to give a heads up to families with other kids like my son. He's really smart, even if his logic train often goes on a roundabout way of getting there, so these games can be frustrating, but at the same time they challenge him to expand the skills he'll need to work with others on projects and teaches him to see things another way.
on January 30, 2015
This up to 6 player game has won so many awards around the world it doesn't need me to sing of it's merits. It is truly an international phenomena. Beautifully pictorial card game with a fun, non-violent theme and only slightly competitive. I do have a criticism... it's the bunny pawns. Too childish for adult players. Substitute your own. As far as deployability. You quickly learn the card pictures and it can become redundant. But of course there are a host of expansion sets (I own Dixit Quest as well which by the way allows up to 12 players). Picked this up before Xmas for a super discount price and even came with two extra "promo" cards. Overall an excellent high quality game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.