Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

• Dixit
  • Customer Reviews

Dixit

on February 23, 2014
I purchased this game after seeing Will Wheaton's show TableTop on the Internet.

Last night I brought it to a gathering of adults who had never seen a game like it, and were initially put off. After some cajoling, they stepped up and tried it. I won the first game, but everyone else wanted to play it again, and the second time a gentleman won who had been the toughest to convince to play.

The comments I received were like, "This is the most unusual game I've ever played," and, "I'm engaging parts of my brain that I never use!" It was a hit and a half, so if you're reading this you need to get this game.

Best with four, five, or six players. The more players, the greater the experience. Also keep one person in charge of dealing the cards, shuffling and revealing the selections, basically running the game. I filled this role last night since I owned the game. Also, find something to use for an active player token. It will cut down on some confusion.
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 27, 2017
This is one of the BEST board games for kids and grownups, everyone can play. We're often surprised by the things our kids (7and 10) think up.
About the game board that people don't like: it may look nice, but it's irrelevant for the game. The board is used solely for scoring purposes. I've only seen the flat (European) version, so I'm used to it. We often go away on weekends and the flat board is perfect for packing. The board in the photo looks too bulky. I recommend Dixit, and this edition, 150%.
on June 9, 2017
This is a very fun & short game. Though the game says 3-6 players, it's fun if 4-6 play it. With 3 players 3 only, it gets boring.

The art on the cards is mesmerizing and well done. The game has very simple rules, and the box has 2 empty areas for 2 expansion decks in the same box.

Game Play
The idea is to get the most points to win.
The active player (whoever turn it is) chooses one of his cards and gives a hint of what the card has. It can be a word, a color, a song, a movie name, a character description, ...etc. The goal is for *some* (not all) people guess which card is yours. When you get partial correct answers, you, the card owner, and all those who guessed correctly advance 3 points. If nobody guessed your card, everybody advanced 2 points except you. If everybody guessed your card, they advance 2 points except you.

The game is simple, but the art on the cards is complex so you have to think of very tricky hints according to the people you're playing with, i.e., you have to know the people you're playing with to play mind games on them in order to get points.

Example: If some of the players know a specific movie and the others don't, give a hint from that movie so you can guarantee a partial guess and win 3 points.

With 4 players, the game takes about 30-40 minutes to complete.
on February 2, 2016
Meet Dixit. It's like apples to apples, only with surrealist illustrations instead of word/phrase cards. The game mechanics are very simple to A2A: one player chooses a hint, all players play a card that they think matches that hint, and then players vote on which card the active player laid down. Extremely simple, loads of fun.

My wife has an unfair advantage because she's played with the base set for years and knows every single card. Despite this, I manage to beat her now and again. Best with five or six players -- I'd be interested in the Odyssey expansion that adds more players and more cards.

Overall, Dixit is fun, entertaining, and a twist on a classic board game. Hopefully the expansions will mix it up and keep things new and fresh for many plays to come! I'd recommend it for both adults and kids, though younger kids may have difficult giving good hints. There really is a little bit of a learning curve to giving a hint that's broad enough that people can play cards related to it, but obscure enough that your card won't be guessed right off the bat.
on January 7, 2018
The cards have really cool designs and we love looking through them. It has started some interesting conversations about poetry and stories that the cards reminded us about. I wish they would update the main picture since that seems to make a lot of people upset that the actual score board does not match the picture. We don't really use the score board or even the scoring system. We just really enjoy playing the game. I do worry that over time, we'll keep using the same clues but we try not to make the clues super easy to guess without being completely obscure.
on February 27, 2017
This is a great game. It is interesting when playing it with company you may not know well, which makes it more challenging. I usually play this with my family, which involves children (youngest is 8) and it is relatively easy guessing which card is the kids' cards. But its alot of fun and forces you to use your creativity to convey your card without being too obvious.

The artwork is beautiful and this is definitely not a game I would play with super young children (under age 5) or around drinks or food that could mess up the cards.

Highly recommended!
on January 15, 2018
We loved this game, and have been able to enjoy it as an entire family many times in the month we've had it. The game itself is a lovely exercise in creativity and strategy, and has been a hit with all who've played: kids (5, 8, 11), mom and dad, and grandma & grandpa. The beautiful artwork has sparked interesting conversations and there have been many full on belly laughs!
The initial instructions are clearly written but kind of beefy. It's definitely a game that once you start playing, it makes better sense. Scoring is a little tricky also but an adult is usually able to work it out.
There are only two slight downsides to me:
1- the "winning" score of 30 can sometimes take a LONG time to reach (we sometimes alter the game to 20 to help with attention spans in the littler ones).
2- I wish it came with more story cards, because after playing 5 times or so, you've got a good idea as to which card might go to what clue... I believe there are expansion packs, but we haven't purchased one yet.
I first heard of this game from a blog about games that engage the entire family and are fun for kids and adults to play and this one does it!
on January 5, 2015
Got this for Xmas and it is, so far, the most re-played of our current library of games. Great for adults and/or kids. We will be buying the expansion sets for sure. If you play with multiple generations in the same game, making clues that everyone at the table will understand can be a challenge, but it is totally playable for all ages 8 to 80 at the same time. Re-playability is infinite, but you will probably get tired of the base set of cards after 4 or 5 times, especially if you play multiple times back-to-back or in the same day. Plays best with 5 or 6 players.

We have considered adding challenges like having the other players choose the card from the active player's hand for him/her to use for the clue. Could also draw a random card from the deck, just to create more of a challenge. Can imagine other ways to easily mix up the play a bit.

If I have a complaint (other than the need for more cards), it is with the playing pieces/board. The little wooden bunnies are hard to keep standing upright on the board and it is hard to move pieces without knocking over others, especially if you get a full 6 player game going. A shaky hand can scatter the pieces around, too. A home-made "cribbage" style board is probably in the future for our personal copy.
on January 7, 2018
The game concept and card art is excellent. Other reviewers have said they prefer art from other Dixit variants better, but as a newbie to the game I thought these were great! Only criticism is with game board and pieces: (1) Game board is awkwardly long, making it difficult to everyone playing to have a good "seat" with respect to the board. Also, it is misrepresented in the current image on the product page show a square game board, but the board that gets shipped is actually a very long skinny rectangle (someone should probably correct this). (2) The bunny pieces are very unstable and fall all the time. Because both the pieces and game board are quite smooth, the pieces very easily shift around, making it difficult to keep proper score as the bunnies advance. All this said, the game play is very fun, and I didn't find myself really caring too much about the score even thoguh pieces kept falling and sliding around. The game was a hit with my family over Christmas vacation, and everyone commented that they liked how even people who are usually "good at games" could still do well.
on October 11, 2017
I bought this because we played it at a friend's house and I loved it! Great game. Used a lot of imagination and some strategy.
Good for entire family in whatever age range is on the box. Little children would, probably, not understand it, but I went and bought an expansion pack just to have even more pictures to use. There are several of these.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.