Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,147 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,318 reviews
on June 15, 2017
By comparing this one to the 7 wonders my friend got from a local store, and the 7 wonders duel I have. I really think this is a counterfeited product. Low print quality, offseted cutting, low quality material and low quality wrapping plastic. The text on the board is even half cut off ( on the last picture). I included some comparisons pictures, left side are the one we got from local store.

#### update ####

I just bought a new copy from local store. And yes, the one I got from here is a counterfeit product. Every part of it shows big difference and low quality. Off-centered box print, off-centered board cut, low quality and rough edge cards, low quality container, wrong size and low quality booklet
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2014
My wife loves this game. Perhaps because she won every time she played until just recently. And who beat her? Me! I’ll give you her tips when I tell you what to do since I employed them to secure victory, and she tried something different. Let that be a lesson to you: never branch out. Never try anything new, or you will suffer.

This is a “drafting” game. I hesitate to tell you this since you might take your reading business elsewhere, but I only call it a drafting game because I’ve heard other’s call it that and they sounded real authoritative, so I believed them, and as I explain you’ll say, of course it’s a drafting game- you dolt. Anyway, this game gets me groaning at my own choices early in the game and I keep groaning throughout the game. But don’t get me wrong, I love playing the game and am thrilled when someone accepts my invite to play.

Game Play
You get 7 small double-sided gorgeously illustrated boards that you use to track completion of your wonder. There are three decks of similarly illustrated cards (one for each age.) You’ve got to fish out the cards that aren’t needed for the number of players fewer than sever that are playing. At the beginning of each age you deal out all the cards. Each person selects a card from their hand to play then passes their hand to their neighbor. You keep selecting (I mean, drafting) one from a new hand each round until there are only two left in the hand and the last one get discarded. Do this twice again and the game is over.

There’s three things you can do with the drafted card:
Keep the card for yourself- if you can pay the cost- some are free- you play the card in front of you- these usually help you score points one way or another.
Discard it for money- an especially good idea if you are poor and it’s costing you and the card you discard is one your neighbor would like
Build a stage of your wonder- that small board in front of you has spaces for cards to slide under them that represent a stage of your wonder you’ve completed. The cost you have to pay is on the board (ignore the cost on the card- try to use one your neighbor would like.)

Speaking of neighbors, it matters who you are next to. If you don’t have a resource needed to pay the cost of a card? If you have some money, you can buy from your neighbor- and buying their doesn’t keep them from using it themselves- they want you to use there because they get your money. But you can only buy from your immediate neighbors (player on either side of you.)

Also, some of the cards give you military presence. I use that word because you never march troops anywhere, but you get points at the end of each age if your military is more intimidating than your neighbors. So the war-monger across the table that doesn’t matter so long as you have buffer states between you. While this strategy wasn’t sound for France in World War II, it is in this game… I think that’s because the maker is French.

I hate to tell you what to do but…
My wife pointed out to- and I always listen when she points things out- that resources are available in the first two ages- these are what you use to pay the cost of cards or phases of your wonder (Incidentally, I’ve never seen my wife develop any stage of her wonder.) You will kick yourself if you don’t have resources to buy things late in the second and throughout third age.

The Third age could profitably be focused on getting cards that get you the most points. It’s something you can do in your head. “Hrmmm… this one is worth 6 to me and that one is worth 9.” My downfall is I think , “Yeah but, even though this one is only worth one, if I got another it would be worth 7!” Think Kyle, two cards to get 7 points, one card to get 6, maybe that second card will also get you 6. “ Oh… yeah, good call.”

Theme
Personally, I don’t get pulled into the theme of cracking the whips that would be required to erect my wonder, despite the eye-candy artwork. I don’t even get pulled into the idea that I’m making a barracks or a laboratory, all I’m concerned about is the count of symbols at the top of the card. I’m very concerned about the symbols.

Balance
This game the score isn’t tracked through the game, though you could get a good idea about someone’s score by looking over their board long enough- and be annoying to the rest of the players because it takes some doing. All that to say that you don’t have an exact idea of who is winning throughout the game. You know your neighbor is a war-monger, but you know your scientific cards can answer the points they are racking up if only you could get one more tablet! All that to say, My wife, who nearly always wins, never felt like she was going to until everything was counted up.

Also curious about the game is resource management as it relates to balance. While it would sure be nice to have enough resources to build some of the buildings in the last age, most are tremendously costly and you can make up for your national economies grand deficiencies not only by buying from your neighbor, but there are free upgrade paths as well. Say you get a altar in the first age, you can get the temple in the second age for free! Each card tells you what cards shortcut the cost of it, and what costs it will shortcut for you in the future.

Interaction
Interaction is medium. I say that because I don’t think the “Everyone chosen a card?” counts, but maybe I need to think of introverts taking baby steps. Towards the end of each age- leading up to the military comparison- accusations of war mongering escalate. But I do more talking to myself and occasional barb to the person next to me taking the cards I wanted. Sometimes I tell someone to use a science card my wife wants before they pass her the hand, but I face swift retribution.

Learning Curve
Medium. I say that because of the multiple ways of scoring points. Until you finish and score a game it could be difficult to conceptualize how your choices will affect the score at the end. These leads to me lamenting, “Ooooh, I see that I could have won the game. How could I have been so careless?” To which my wife compassionately responds, “Hindsight is always twenty/twenty.”

Downtime
Downtime is nominal because everyone takes turns at the same time. The downtime happens when the person you’d never take to Baskin Robins can’t choose between the 8 to 2 cards in his/her hand. I guess you deserve a little down time if you invite them to play this game with you. Speaking of baby steps, the indecisive will never get better if they don’t practice, so if you invite them, my hats off to you, but in the long run, the clerk as Baskin Robbins may thank you. Otherwise, it’s a very fast moving game. I have watched it be very difficult for someone with a 6 year old try to “help” them play. That was brutal. And don’t be passing a partial hand even though you know you don’t want to choose those cards. Talk about a mess to try to straighten out.

What’s not to Like?
I’m a prude. I confess. And I took a permanent marker to a couple of the cards. There was some of that going on in the Expansion too. But otherwise, I really like this game.

Collateral Endorsement
I have not tried to break this out for my kids. I want to keep the cards nice. I have been training them with other card games though. My little two year old now waits for the dealer to be done before she picks up her hand, but I digress. I did take this on vacation with me and was playing in the hotel lobby and a complete stranger asked if they could play. Something about the game caught their eye, and who can blame them?

One other thought
It’s taken me some time to decide why I’m so bad at this game. No, it can’t be because so many of my opponents are superior to me, it just can’t! I think it has to do with not being able to see the whole picture. That is to say, I do very well playing Puerto Rico because I can see all the available options for each player and can guess what I would do if I were in their shoes and can make plans accordingly. In this game, I see only one hand at a time. I can’t see one of my neighbor’s hand and know, oh, they are going to get that military card. Or, maybe this game I’ll let the science cards go since so many are going to ge gobbled up before I ever see them. This is not a complaint, just an observation of how the mechanics work.
on April 10, 2017
While the game itself might be fun, I found lots of quality control issues with the printed cards. I unboxed it a few days back, and right out of the box - brand new - many of the cards had printing errors, were printed off-center, were covered in a thin film of some unidentifiable gunk, or simply had frayed edges, were slightly bent, etc. I've included images of the issues, most errors are on the backs of the cards which is almost worse because it becomes easy for people to identify which card you have based on what shape the gunk/mess/error on the back is. Some of the photos just show a weird scratching pattern on the cards. It almost feels like I was given an old and heavily used set of cards. Anyway, 1 star for bad quality control issues, buyer beware.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 2, 2012
7 Wonders is a game of trying to maximize synergistic effects without knowing for sure what opportunities you'll have up front. You need to strike a balance between securing resources to build more valuable structures later vs. putting more directly useful structures into play sooner. It has a variety of methods to score victory points that you'll have to mix to some extent in order to win. Some examples:

- The straightforward "government" path, where you simply build structures that are worth a fixed point value
- The "military" path, where you try to outrace your immediate neighbors in arms investment (by as slim a margin as possible to avoid waste)
- The "science" path, which, fittingly, involves some light math based on how many of each of three types of learning facilities you build
- The "builder" path, where you gain VPs from constructing your wonder (different wonders grant different VPs and other benefits)
- The "miser" path, where you earn VPs for accumulated coin
- ...and various other cards that give you victory points based on your (or your neighbors') other cards in play.

As you can see, there is a lot of potential variety in strategies, and it's difficult to impossible to win by simply "maxing out" a single category and punting on the rest. It's also risky to go in with a rigid set strategy, since the "drafting" mechanic (each player plays a card, then passes their hand along) introduces some uncertainty about what building opportunities you'll have. For instance, you can't necessarily count on being able to one-up your neighbors in military construction on the last turn of a round ("age"), because you may not be passed any military cards. You may not be able to go heavy on science because your neighbor is doing the same thing and vacuuming up most of those structures before they get to you.

The cards include some intimidating iconography at first, but it doesn't take very long to pick up the mechanics of the game. It moves quickly, since every player takes their turn simultaneously, though it relies somewhat on the honor system to make sure everyone has the appropriate resources and pays the appropriate amounts to build their structures-- nobody is going to spend the time to audit their neighbors.

There are two primary drawbacks I've seen in the few games I've been able to play so far:

1. The game takes up a lot of space per player. While many cards can largely overlap, you'll likely have separate piles for resources, government cards, science cards (possibly a pile for each of three types), guilds, and more, depending on your organizational inclinations. You'll also have a "wonder" board that takes up a fair amount of space. The cards themselves are quite large, much bigger than standard playing cards. Plan on a big table if you're going to have a lot of players-- we felt cramped with six players on a roughly 4'x6' table, and I had to deal each round onto the game box in my lap, since there wasn't any table space to toss the cards.

2. You have to extract cards from the decks before each game (or session). First, you need to remove all the cards for group sizes larger than the one you're playing with, since each of the three decks needs to have 7x[# players] cards in it. The cards are labeled with the minimum group size on it, so our group of six had to go through the decks and remove all the "7+" cards. You also need to find all the purple "Guild" cards from the Age III deck and select a certain number of them for use in each game, and the selection should be randomized every game. This is admittedly a minor inconvenience, though an annoyance nonetheless.

These issues aside, this game was a hit with our gaming group. Everyone liked it to one degree or another, and several openly considered buying their own copy. Once everyone has picked up the rules (and everyone was quite comfortable after one game), it moves quickly, and rarely does the outcome of a game appear to be a foregone conclusion.
22 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2017
I can't believe my eyes. The quality of this product is atrocious. The cardboard pieces for the coins and tokens was offset with the cut line so the designs were not centered in the cut out. Then the cards are flimsy, bent and white on the edges like they were used. The manual was apart like some of the pages came off the staple. It's really sad honestly, this is a great game and fun to play, but I concur with the other bad reviews that the quality of the product is a huge problem.
review image
on August 27, 2011
Confession of a board game addict: I can't put 7 Wonders down.

The time estimate of 30 minutes for this game is fairly accurate for a 3 player game, I can easily imagine a 7 player game stretching out to 45 minutes. Either way, that makes it a much easier choice than most of its peers, which average 2 hours and beyond. 7 Wonders has an excellent depth of strategy that should satisfy all ages, yet it can be played (once familiar with the rules) at a fairly brisk pace, which creates a good mix of fast paced excitement and deep thought.

With that, let's get into the Pros and Cons:

Pros:

Time Requirement - As above, probably the aspect that contributes the most to this game's widespread appeal.

Depth - Striking the right balance between military, commerce, science, cultural and resource development is extremely complex - and the "right" balance changes constantly as you react to your opponents' plans.

Materials - I think the comments about the durability of the cards are overstated. I don't believe they are any more or less durable than a standard deck of playing cards. The wonder boards are very sturdy, and the built in card storage decks are a nice touch as well. Also appreciate the thick stack of scoring pads included.

Innovation - the free building rule adds an interesting twist to the strategy that rewards players for focusing on a particular type of development (military, commerce, science, cultural) - an option that adds a certain "race to the finish" aspect and prevents the balanced approach from being the only successful one.

Cons:

THE RULE BOOK - is very poorly written, as attested to by the ample amount of "oops, we have been playing it wrong" threads that a quick Google search of reveals. Some will no doubt appreciate the very succint rule book, and handy reference sheets - but the fact remains that it is very easy to miss key rules of the game because they are hidden in a footnote on an illustration, or not included in the main rules at all, but only on the card description sheet. I had to re-read the rule book (and additional sheets) multiple times before I (think) corrected all the errors we were making. I for one would have appreciated a longer, but more thorough rule book that explains the rules in detail, though I'm sure this was done intentionally as there is a significant market share that finds larger rule books daunting.

Add-ons - the Leaders expansion (a separate product) doesn't really add much to the game other than unnecessary complexity in my opinion. On the other hand, the game didn't need an expansion to begin with.

Pick 7 Wonders up without reservation - it's a blast. Add on Leaders if you feel like it, but it's hardly necessary to enjoy the game.
66 comments| 295 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2017
7 Wonders is an absolute joy to play. Tasked with constructing the greatest, most prosperous city state, players try to gain scientific knowledge, conquer their neighbors militarily, conduct commerce, and so on. All the while, they are trying to build up their own wonder, modeled after the seven wonders of the ancient world. It is and incredibly beautiful game; the art is fantastic. Each game is different because you are given a random wonder each game, and each wonder board has two sides to add replayability. The gameplay is smooth, fast, and fun; it only takes about 10 to 15 minutes for brand-new players to get the hang of the game. There is not a lot of luck involved, so strategy plays a big part. This is a big plus for me, but sometimes you can be beaten by someone not as experienced as yourself. Also, this game scales extremely well. It can easily be played in under 30 minutes for 2 to 5 players. I have not played with six or seven players, so I cannot comment on that. Overall, this is a brilliantly made game that families and even more serious gamers can enjoy.

Even if you are planning on playing this game mostly with two players, I would still recommend it. The two player variant is not as bad as most people say. It adds a new level of strategy because you must control a dummy opponent. If you are not into that style of gameplay, I would recommend 7 Wonders: Duel for 2 players only.

Overall, I cannot think of a negative for this game. If you are into civilization building, strategy, or just having fun, I recommend this one strongly. At the end of the game, you will feel so accomplished that you built up this great empire, whether or not you win or lose. 5/5
on March 23, 2017
Players pick a seven wonders board, but the wonder pictured really doesn't anything in terms of the game. Rather players pick the board/side of the board for it's attributes. As you read the rules and play, you'll learn which resources are more crucial, and how to leverage your board's attributes to best advantage. Game plays in three rounds, and involves passing around hands of cards (naturally numbered 1, 2, or 3 depending on the round). Each time, players try to select the best/most useful card in each hand before passing the remaining cards to the next player. Try to get a balance of resources early on, as they're scarce later and crucial for acquiring other game components to earn points. This is the base game and is needed in order to play the related expansion sets.

I love this game, but don't actually own it yet. Tried to buy it from a marketplace seller who turned out to be a scam. So while I still really like playing this family-favorite, the game is back on my wish list to await another buying opportunity--this time from a legitimate seller. My advice is to be very wary about buying from new marketplace sellers, especially when they're offering popular items at prices just a fraction of what a legitimate seller is posting. Take to heart the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." This isn't the only game I've seen listed for sale at super-cheap prices, though I didn't try buying any of them.
on April 10, 2017
I'm giving two stars.
The game itself is SOOOOO much fun!!! My fiancé, friends and I LOVE the game.
I'm giving two stars because of the customer service I received from the selling company or, I should say, from the zero customer service I've received.
There was a card missing from the game (our friend has the same game and we compared his to ours) and we found we were missing a pretty big resource card. I e-mailed the company and only requested a card replacement...which should have been easy enough to get and send. No problem!
They have yet to respond to my multiple e-mails and we have seriously just given up. We had to replicate the missing card and now, when we play, it's a pretty obvious card to pick out from the rest.

So, in conclusion, GREAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not so great customer service
on March 16, 2016
This game won multiple game of the year awards for a reason. It's a solid game and I honestly wish I could get it to the table more often. It's a little dry for teens/pre-teens. This is definitely a gamer's game. If you haven't played it I suggest playing with someone else before you make the investment. This is not everyone's cup of tea. Game play is very fast once everyone learns what they are doing. This will, however take at least one game. Ususally after everyone plays a full game - then you see the light-bulbs click and you will want to play again. I do not recomend buying the expansions until after you've played a few games without it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.