Truck Reviews Beauty Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Asmodee 7 Wonders

on June 15, 2017
By comparing this one to the 7 wonders my friend got from a local store, and the 7 wonders duel I have. I really think this is a counterfeited product. Low print quality, offseted cutting, low quality material and low quality wrapping plastic. The text on the board is even half cut off ( on the last picture). I included some comparisons pictures, left side are the one we got from local store.

#### update ####

I just bought a new copy from local store. And yes, the one I got from here is a counterfeit product. Every part of it shows big difference and low quality. Off-centered box print, off-centered board cut, low quality and rough edge cards, low quality container, wrong size and low quality booklet. I got it from 'Atlantic Toys and More'
273 people found this helpful
|88 comments|Report abuse
on April 10, 2017
While the game itself might be fun, I found lots of quality control issues with the printed cards. I unboxed it a few days back, and right out of the box - brand new - many of the cards had printing errors, were printed off-center, were covered in a thin film of some unidentifiable gunk, or simply had frayed edges, were slightly bent, etc. I've included images of the issues, most errors are on the backs of the cards which is almost worse because it becomes easy for people to identify which card you have based on what shape the gunk/mess/error on the back is. Some of the photos just show a weird scratching pattern on the cards. It almost feels like I was given an old and heavily used set of cards. Anyway, 1 star for bad quality control issues, buyer beware.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
116 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on June 20, 2017
I can't believe my eyes. The quality of this product is atrocious. The cardboard pieces for the coins and tokens was offset with the cut line so the designs were not centered in the cut out. Then the cards are flimsy, bent and white on the edges like they were used. The manual was apart like some of the pages came off the staple. It's really sad honestly, this is a great game and fun to play, but I concur with the other bad reviews that the quality of the product is a huge problem.
review image
38 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 29, 2017
The game itself is wonderful, easy to play and hard to master, but the quality of the fake product is terrible especially it's sold and shipped by Amazon itself. Card missing, misprinting, off-size, color way off....just basically a knock-off product. Instruction book and city boards are bent, coin tokens offset, I wish I remembered to take photos before I returned it to show how bad the quality was.
I had the genuine game years ago, so I'm confident that the item I received is a fake product like the counterfeit ones sold in China.
33 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 18, 2018
Other reviews from mid 2017 indicated serious quality problems with this game, possibly because it was a counterfeited version. I bought a copy from Amazon in April 2018, and I'm happy to report that there are no quality issues with my copy. Everything looks great!
22 people found this helpful
on April 22, 2018
EXCELLENT Game!

Cons:

--Seems impossible to learn when you take it from the box. I was ready to give up, but my son wasn't. I recommend using a YouTube of it if you don't have a persistent person in the family who figures things out. The instructions *are* adequate to learn the game, as we found out (my kids wouldn't use YouTube).

Pros:

--Quick, fun, entertaining, and never the same.

--Once learned, it's a fast-paced game which requires thinking, but don't be afraid of that. I'm going on 70 and it's great for my brain.

--It's very difficult to "tell" who is going to win, and that's a great feature. Just because someone has such-and-such, or has more of "whatever," that doesn't mean he or she will win. Totaling up the points at the end is often surprising.

--Every game will be different. Even if a person were to have the same game board over and over (which wouldn't happen), the cards make it nearly impossible to play the same way each time.

We play Settlers, Ticket to Ride, and other games like that. If you are into fun, quickly moving, entertaining (and somewhat educational--my adult kids have loved seeing the pictures of the 7 Wonders), you may really enjoy this!

*****IMPORTANT*****

Apparently there are some fake games out there (see the negative reviews). The "real" version is very high quality. The small individual game boards, for example, are beautiful (incredible artwork), and all the pieces are sturdy.
6 people found this helpful
on January 20, 2017
7 Wonders is an absolute joy to play. Tasked with constructing the greatest, most prosperous city state, players try to gain scientific knowledge, conquer their neighbors militarily, conduct commerce, and so on. All the while, they are trying to build up their own wonder, modeled after the seven wonders of the ancient world. It is and incredibly beautiful game; the art is fantastic. Each game is different because you are given a random wonder each game, and each wonder board has two sides to add replayability. The gameplay is smooth, fast, and fun; it only takes about 10 to 15 minutes for brand-new players to get the hang of the game. There is not a lot of luck involved, so strategy plays a big part. This is a big plus for me, but sometimes you can be beaten by someone not as experienced as yourself. Also, this game scales extremely well. It can easily be played in under 30 minutes for 2 to 5 players. I have not played with six or seven players, so I cannot comment on that. Overall, this is a brilliantly made game that families and even more serious gamers can enjoy.

Even if you are planning on playing this game mostly with two players, I would still recommend it. The two player variant is not as bad as most people say. It adds a new level of strategy because you must control a dummy opponent. If you are not into that style of gameplay, I would recommend 7 Wonders: Duel for 2 players only.

Overall, I cannot think of a negative for this game. If you are into civilization building, strategy, or just having fun, I recommend this one strongly. At the end of the game, you will feel so accomplished that you built up this great empire, whether or not you win or lose. 5/5
4 people found this helpful
on December 8, 2016
The goal is to get the most points! Super easy to teach to anyone!

Initially the games seems really complex with all the various cards and various ways to get points. I brought the game to play with a group of seven for one of the first times playing (Okay I had played once before a few days earlier). The group of seven wasn't "gamers", and no one had ever heard of the game.

At first the game seems overwhelming and a bit confusing. My suggestion when teaching new people is to just tel them the basics and get them playing. After the first round everyone around the table knew how to play and were totally enjoying the game!

My wife tells me I have too many games. She's probably right, but that doesn't stop me from buying new games and trying them out! She picked this game up after a few turns and thinks it super easy to play and teach now too!

If you like mild strategy games that don't take hours, that you can pick up, quickly setup and quickly teach someone in literally minutes then 7 Wonders should be in your stack of games!

The plastic insert for the game is actually pretty good considering there's a place for everything. However if you plan to sleeve the cards and buy any of the expansions you'll begin to run out of space. After falling for this game I ended up picking up a custom game organizer that fits perfectly in the box and cuts setup and tear down time. Wondrous game organizer made by Broken Token.
4 people found this helpful
on March 23, 2017
Players pick a seven wonders board, but the wonder pictured really doesn't anything in terms of the game. Rather players pick the board/side of the board for it's attributes. As you read the rules and play, you'll learn which resources are more crucial, and how to leverage your board's attributes to best advantage. Game plays in three rounds, and involves passing around hands of cards (naturally numbered 1, 2, or 3 depending on the round). Each time, players try to select the best/most useful card in each hand before passing the remaining cards to the next player. Try to get a balance of resources early on, as they're scarce later and crucial for acquiring other game components to earn points. This is the base game and is needed in order to play the related expansion sets.

I love this game, but don't actually own it yet. Tried to buy it from a marketplace seller who turned out to be a scam. So while I still really like playing this family-favorite, the game is back on my wish list to await another buying opportunity--this time from a legitimate seller. My advice is to be very wary about buying from new marketplace sellers, especially when they're offering popular items at prices just a fraction of what a legitimate seller is posting. Take to heart the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." This isn't the only game I've seen listed for sale at super-cheap prices, though I didn't try buying any of them.
2 people found this helpful
on January 2, 2012
7 Wonders is a game of trying to maximize synergistic effects without knowing for sure what opportunities you'll have up front. You need to strike a balance between securing resources to build more valuable structures later vs. putting more directly useful structures into play sooner. It has a variety of methods to score victory points that you'll have to mix to some extent in order to win. Some examples:

- The straightforward "government" path, where you simply build structures that are worth a fixed point value
- The "military" path, where you try to outrace your immediate neighbors in arms investment (by as slim a margin as possible to avoid waste)
- The "science" path, which, fittingly, involves some light math based on how many of each of three types of learning facilities you build
- The "builder" path, where you gain VPs from constructing your wonder (different wonders grant different VPs and other benefits)
- The "miser" path, where you earn VPs for accumulated coin
- ...and various other cards that give you victory points based on your (or your neighbors') other cards in play.

As you can see, there is a lot of potential variety in strategies, and it's difficult to impossible to win by simply "maxing out" a single category and punting on the rest. It's also risky to go in with a rigid set strategy, since the "drafting" mechanic (each player plays a card, then passes their hand along) introduces some uncertainty about what building opportunities you'll have. For instance, you can't necessarily count on being able to one-up your neighbors in military construction on the last turn of a round ("age"), because you may not be passed any military cards. You may not be able to go heavy on science because your neighbor is doing the same thing and vacuuming up most of those structures before they get to you.

The cards include some intimidating iconography at first, but it doesn't take very long to pick up the mechanics of the game. It moves quickly, since every player takes their turn simultaneously, though it relies somewhat on the honor system to make sure everyone has the appropriate resources and pays the appropriate amounts to build their structures-- nobody is going to spend the time to audit their neighbors.

There are two primary drawbacks I've seen in the few games I've been able to play so far:

1. The game takes up a lot of space per player. While many cards can largely overlap, you'll likely have separate piles for resources, government cards, science cards (possibly a pile for each of three types), guilds, and more, depending on your organizational inclinations. You'll also have a "wonder" board that takes up a fair amount of space. The cards themselves are quite large, much bigger than standard playing cards. Plan on a big table if you're going to have a lot of players-- we felt cramped with six players on a roughly 4'x6' table, and I had to deal each round onto the game box in my lap, since there wasn't any table space to toss the cards.

2. You have to extract cards from the decks before each game (or session). First, you need to remove all the cards for group sizes larger than the one you're playing with, since each of the three decks needs to have 7x[# players] cards in it. The cards are labeled with the minimum group size on it, so our group of six had to go through the decks and remove all the "7+" cards. You also need to find all the purple "Guild" cards from the Age III deck and select a certain number of them for use in each game, and the selection should be randomized every game. This is admittedly a minor inconvenience, though an annoyance nonetheless.

These issues aside, this game was a hit with our gaming group. Everyone liked it to one degree or another, and several openly considered buying their own copy. Once everyone has picked up the rules (and everyone was quite comfortable after one game), it moves quickly, and rarely does the outcome of a game appear to be a foregone conclusion.
95 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.