Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 93 reviews
on December 5, 2016
This is an incredible book! I have Aspergers and I have never read anywhere an explanation like this one. It's super easy to read and understand for me. I recommend this book for anyone on spectrum, or who is in contact with anyone on Spectrum. It's awesome!
on February 29, 2016
As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, I have struggled with anxiety and panic attacks. This book is very helpful in understanding the connection between Asperger's and anxiety. I can relate to the author in many ways. The author talks about his struggles with anxiety and how to cope with it.
on December 18, 2013
THis book is a little different than what I had hoped for but I still enjoy it. It's basically about anxiety, more so than a thorough examination of Asperger's. But this is very helpful for those of us who struggle with AS. I am trying to find out as much as I can sinc I am recently diagnosed well into my mature years. Not a whole lot can change for me except how I feel about things. It's has been very gratifying to learn many of my mistakes in life was due to my brain programming and not through my choices. I do suffer from anxiety about many things and this book will help me see what's important and what I can discard.
on May 10, 2013
After reading this book I can now better understand and identify sources of anxiety for my partner who has Asperger Syndrome. In particular, I found the section on cognitive-behavioral therapy very helpful. For example, cognitive distortions (all or nothing thinking-I'm a perfect chef or a lousy chef, but no middle ground) were useful examples. I also liked the way he addressed misinterpreting reality and showed examples of a better way to look at facts. The book is well organized and easy to understand. The author has a first person view of the challenges of AS and it makes the book more insightful as a result.
on April 14, 2015
I found this very helpful in understanding how a person with a spectrum disorder, who often fights with learning, or trying to figure out, what is and isn't socially acceptable to say and who are left confounded, scolded or abjured into silence. Constantly asking: should I say this, and if I do, what will happen? Unfortunately, it seems that kind of constant questioning breeds anxiety.Suddenly it's easier to simply back out. The dark side of that is it blocks us from meeting our human social needs. The book has helpful ideas. However those ideas are frequently best addressed to younger people. For older people it might be more a confirmation of: 'yep this is what happened,' but who are no longer within systems that support 'getting over it' which isn't to say it wasn't helpful. It did have the effect of heartening and trying again.
on June 17, 2014
This is an awesome book, my favorite by far. I read it in less than 2 days. It really helped to see that other people both successful in their careers and people still finding their niche. Seeing this from another person's perspective has helped me to see things in a different way for which I am eternally grateful.
on January 31, 2014
This book helped me so much with my anxiety and stress. I recommend this to any Aspie who takes things to heart, and has difficulty with depression, fear, anxiety and stress management. It validated my feelings and made me feel better about myself and my difficulties. Thank you so much. I am handling things much better now.
on June 18, 2015
Great insight into Asperger's as well as a valuable resource for anyone (neurotypical or otherwise) who is trying to deal with anxiety. Best book I've read on the subject; very helpful.
on June 17, 2015
Well written with a format that seems to draw you in and give you confidence in his words. I finally learned that CBT can work for me. I plan to re-read it at least one more time. Thank you, Nick Dubin for this book and for thinking of all the Aspies out there
on August 12, 2009
Nick Dubin has expertise in this subject at both a personal and a professional level. Dr. Dubin has recently completed a doctoral degree in Psychology and he has Asperger syndrome. This combination gives credibility to the book's generally optomistic tone. It also allows him to seamlessly weave together personal experience and professional training in a way that helps the reader to apply the strategies in his or her own life.

The book is intended primarily for adults with Asperger syndrome, but I believe that it would be of use to anyone that would like to be able to deal more effectively with anxiety. I also think that educators that work with children on the autism spectrum would do well to read this book, as it provides important insights into anxiety from the point of view of someone with Asperger syndrome. This can be of great benefit because young children on the autism spectrum often have difficulty communicating their feelings to teachers and therapists, which often leads to unfortunate misunderstandings.

Many of the suggestions are based on a Cognitive Behavioral Approach, which is generally well suited to the talents of many high functioning persons on the autism spectrum. The book provides a wide variety of strategies which ensures that the reader will find something of use here. Important information is conveniently summarized at the end of each chapter.

Overall, this is a very important book and I give it my highest recommendation.