Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 329 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 825 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 16, 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
First off: Aspire really inspired me. It's been a long time since a non fiction book has taken me someplace else. But Kevin Hall's little gem managed to take me on a quest and he lead me on a path that I'm thankful for. In fact I read the book twice within a week, which hasn't happened in quit a while.

Second, I found a good deal of Steven Covey's obvious influences in Aspire and in my opinion that is a good thing.

Third, his choice of words put into their historical context. Mr. Hall presents the words and the power they have in helping us understand our potential in an etymological discussion with Arthur.

Genshai ~ Never treat anyone small. If you treat other as "less than" you become small.

Pathfinder ~ Breathing life into the always overused word "Leader". Finding your path is the key to leading others.

Namaste' ~ I salute the divine within you. I especially liked reading about Einstein's question to Gandhi.

Passion ~ Suffering for what you love most. This is another overused word in our culture today. I see it on nearly every "user profile" where they are really trying to impress. What have you sincerely dedicated yourself to? Are you willing to suffer for it? Really?

Sapere Verdere ~ Knowing how to see. My latest favorite movie is Avatar. If you've seen it then you know what it means; "I see you."

Humility ~ Being open to coaching and someone teaching you. This word has been bastardized over time and become synonymous with embarrassment and weakness, nothing could be further from the real meaning. You must be confident and strong to acknowledge and accept mentorship.

Inspire ~ Breathing life into another. Breath, encourage, add to their heart, leave others better.

Empathy ~ Walking the path of another and truly understanding what they have gone through and where they are going. This is related to the overused word of the 80s "Communication" which means to share in common.

Coach ~ Carrying another. To see potential in others and to bring them up is an art form. To carry them, to teach them is, in my opinion, the highest form of art humanity can achieve.

Ollin ~ The Aztec word for Moving forward with all your heart. Very cool word. Are you "all in?" This was a new word to me.

Integrity ~ Whole and complete. Integrity does not mean 'honesty' or 'ethically pure' as the self-help industry has pitched the word over the past 35 years. Those characteristics are part of the whole. It was refreshing to learn the original meaning and hear the story related to whole and complete living.

All in all, I thought this was a great book worthy of all of the praise I have read in these reviews. I liked the way Kevin Hall used his short personal stories to start each chapter, then he took us into his personal conversation with his mentor, Arthur Watkins PhD, retired linguistics Professor and head of the department at Stanford University, Each chapter was then capped off with Kevin's personal journal entries on the word, and the his personal pursuit of the concept.

This book is Kevin Hall's personal journey told through by his quest to develop and learn. He uses these words very effectively to take the reader along with him. I highly recommend this book.
on January 18, 2015
Kevin, This book not only inspired me but helped me to understand better one of the most revered men I have ever known about. Viktor Frankl... This was very well written and I learned so much from this book about life and the man, Viktor Frankl. A man who's message of how God meant for us to treat each other and a message that continues in the Statue of Responsibility. I can honestly say that I ASPIRE to become better and to live life the way Viktor Frankl meant for us to live it. Lastly, The way you explained meaningful words throughout the book impacted me in ways I am stilling understanding even now. Thank You so much for this epic book.

RJ Stratton, USN (1976-2000), President of The Team Veteran Foundation
on April 4, 2010
My name is Jason Coombs and I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict. Last week a dear friend of mine gave me a book. On the cover it says "Aspire! Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words". Needless to say I was very skeptical and it sat in the back of my car for a few days. I typically don't read anything that is not recovery related because I am still very new to sobriety. I have just under 13 months clean and sober, which is a MIRACLE for a guy like me! I picked the book up from my back seat last Tuesday night while working a grave shift at a treatment center for troubled youth. I wondered how I could possibly get something out of reading this book when my purpose is to just stay clean and sober today. I read the forward by Stephen R. Covey and realized that maybe, just maybe, there are some things in Aspire that could help me in some way. I figured that since I am preparing to go back to school this fall to get my Master's in Professional Communications, I could use some help with "words". What could it hurt by reading it? I found out in the first chapter that it had something to do with words, and everything to do with personal discovery! All I can say is that everything I have been learning in my recovery from alcoholism is supported and enhanced in Aspire. I gained personal insights and a deeper desire to reach out and help others. I discovered that my dreams can and will become reality; all I have to do is create it. I have discovered my true purpose is not only to stay clean and sober, but it is to recognize and develop my spiritual gifts so that I may help others find the solution to this fatal disease. I could not put the book down the entire night! I feel my recovery, my spirituality, my purpose, and my efforts in working the 12 Steps took on a whole new meaning. I am able to better recognize the truth about myself and my potential as a recovering Alcoholic. I feel like I am reborn!!!! If anyone reading this review can relate to addiction, or has a loved one who is addicted and is dying from this disease of alcoholism/drug addiction, then I recommend you read Aspire and experiment with it for yourselves. I actually recommend it to anyone looking to improve their current state of being. I read the book in two sittings (both at work) and the benefits are incredible! I have increased hope and vision that I have never experienced before. I can't say enough positive results that Kevin Hall's work has produced in my life in such a short period of time. I encourage anyone who reads this book to reach out to him and share your experience as I have. His contact information is at the end of the "forward" section! How cool and personal is that? There is a solution for addiction and this book has added to my recovery in ways I never thought were possible. Truly inspiring! I bought one for my Substance Abuse Councilor, it's that beautiful!
on September 6, 2015
The author Kevin Hall breaks down words into parts and reveals their true meaning. Of course one word leads to another and another. Yet Kevin is able to connect all the singular words up and relate to the reader meaning for our everyday lives. Worth the time and money. Have a paper and pencil ready if you are interested in learning word origins and meanings.
on January 10, 2012
I work with Lisa Nichols the world renowned transformational coach, best selling author, and teacher in the secret. I have read a lot of books through the years. What I KNOW for sure is the book Aspire by Kevin Hall is an amazing experience. I've tabbed my pages, highlighted things I want to stand out, and have written words at the top of the page so I can go back and find them easily. Next to the Bible this is truly my personal all time favorite. It's packed with knowledge, healing, empowerment, keys to unlock the doors to areas that most men dare not tred. This life giving book will empower you to go to the next level of playing big in your own life, your family, friends, business, community, and world!! Trust me this book will have you laughing, crying, cheering as you meet these wonderful lessons that are so eloquently shared. Once you start reading be ready because you won't want to put it down! I recommend this book to everyone as it is truly the gift that keeps on giving, a great map of experiences as you create this amazing thing we call our life. Thank you Kevin Hall for taking the time to pour so much love into this book and sharing it with the world!!!
on January 10, 2012
Aspire by Kevin Hall is a significant book of timeless truths reflective of the writings and teachings of the greatest thought leaders. I have referred to it time and time again and each time my thoughts are enlightened, my heart is stirred and my soul is nourished.

Kevin Hall is a masterful word crafter and gifted storyteller when revealing the true essence and power of words. The deeper meanings of eleven words, both old and new are defined, explored and resonate with the wisdom of the ages and when acted upon expand without limitation the possibilities of what we can achieve and who we can become with clarity and purpose.

My life has renewed direction, focus and meaning since reading this book. The words Genshai, Namasté, Passion, Empathy, Inspire and Ollin have enriched my life and all play an important role in the realization of the contribution each of us are capable of offering as we lift, love and support each other. With implementation, these words have the power and ability to unite and heal our interconnected world of global humanity.

Aspire will help you discover your greatest work, ignite the passion in your journey, encourage and nurture a wounded soul and reveal the light of hope within your darkest hour...a treasure sure to hold a familiar place in your heart and earn a perennial home in your library.
on January 29, 2011
I picked up Aspire at the recommendation of a friend of mine. When I started reading it I quickly realized why he loved it so. Aspire digs deeper into the meanings of specific words and forces you to reflect on the word's use and the importance of its meaning. Then Aspire challenges you to find someone in your life with whom you can relate that word. Some of my favorite parts in the book are where Kevin speaks with his friend Arthur to discuss words and their applications. Aspire is a great work where you can actually feel Kevin's passion for his creation. Having recently met Kevin and he wonderful wife Sherry I can see his true gift of sharing is more than between the pages.
on February 14, 2011
I want to say THANK YOU to Kevin from me to you for making this vibrational positive movement "Aspire". This book came to me in the right time of my life. I saw Jada Pinkett's comment about "Aspire" Facebook and I looked it up on Amazon, read a couple pages and it stayed in my head, in my soul, in my light. I had to find it and start reading it. I went to 4 different book stores and found the only copy in this little Borders that was closing down. Every page is like a Lay's potatoe chip, you can't just eat one, you have to devour the whole book, high light, bookmark it with mini post it's and go back and eat up the words again and again until it's ingrained in your cellular memory, until what you think, say and do are in full alignment. It is such a reflection of my pure joy, my purpose.

I have much to give to this world and I just want to THANK YOU from my soul for everything you wrote. I ordered 20 copies of Aspire when you had the special during the holiday. I was brought to tears when I opened the box and saw you had signed everyone of them and personally signed one to me. The fact that you took the time to do that and think about every person receiving the book and the very person placing the order moved my soul. THANK YOU!!!! I feel connected to your light through your words, listening to your weekly talks and rereading Aspire again. You have been a catalyst for me deepening my self growth and development so I may be able to better serve in this world at my highest potential and be right on path and on purpose. You refired me!! Your PASSION and JOY is infectious. My word for this year is COMMITMENT. I want to be COMMITTED with every BREATH and every STEP I take towards my daily goals, weekly goals and my big 5 goals for this year. I am OPEN and I am READY to zone in on my calling and live my best life COMMITTED to everything I am doing.

Thank you for adding so much value to my life and all the loved ones around me. Namaste :)
on May 17, 2012
When I met Kevin in Colorado near the end of January this year (2012) and heard him speak, I had no idea how my view of the world was about to change. Kevin is a powerful speaker and a person that not only tells a story, but he lives his message.

I purchased Aspire and began to read the text and my thoughts and views of the world began to change. A new, very positive view of life began to form and a new level of understanding began to take shape inside me. I continue to pick up my copy of Aspire nearly every night to read again the words and stories that Kevin has written and this book continues to re-shape my view of life. I never put Aspire down without learning something new. This is a rare and beautiful gift and I can not be thankful enough to have had Kevin enter onto my path.

After reading Aspire for the first time I decided to pass along Kevin's gift to me, by offering one of the words in the book to each of my 3 children as a gift, on their birthday's this year. My children are 24, 22, and 19 and at each occasion, this gift of a word has moved them and brought my family even closer. My hope is that they too will use this power of words to move others on their paths.

Namaste Kevin
on March 30, 2010
I'm a divorced mother of three grown children and a seventeen yr old...two grandchildren. I thought I was just fine after my divorce. It wasn't until 9 years later, struggling to launch a new business, I was able to see the devastating affects the divorce had on my confidence and the way I really saw myself. Once capable in most any endeavor, I found myself frozen with inexplicable fears and seemingly unable to move forward with confidence. I got honest with the last several years and saw that I had been in a downward spiral since the time I signed those papers. This book touched my heart in a way that no other self-help book ever has. I felt like Kevin was sitting fireside with me. I've bought several copies and enjoyed giving them to friends, family and my pastor. Aspire has given me some powerful tools toward positively influencing my thoughts and words and refurbishing my life at 54!
My greatest desire in life has been that I would be able to inspire my children to create happy, productive, loving lives. I've harbored guilt over believing that I have failed in many ways. This book has done three very powerful things for me. First, I refuse to have negative thoughts about myself over what might have been done better. I did my very best with the tools I had at the time and, being my favorite new word, I practice Genshai with myself and others every day. Second, it is NOT too late for me to learn new and powerful ways to be and communicate and KNOW that I can inspire my children, grandchildren, business partners and others and create more for myself. The relationship with my youngest child has greatly improved and her grades have gone way up! Not to please me; she's doing it for herself. Third, words and how I use them has been amplified. I don't just talk, I feel the words. I pay attention to them. It starts when I look at people at think "Namasté" and I when I'm talking, I don't just think about inspiring, I envision breathing life into. When I do, it breathes life into me. There is so much more! Don't just buy and read this book...let it in.