Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on June 8, 2013
Seems a little underhanded. THere was no clear indication that this required you join an online gaming community when the purchase was made. then I wanted to refund the purchase and there is no option for that in the my account. Very underhanded. Then some years late I loose my PW to Steam and there is NO way to get it back. I have reset the password 20 times and I cannot get back in. Steam is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 3, 2011
I downloaded this game on my brand new MBP. But was never able to get the game to launch without freezing. When I contacted ASPYR customer support I received the generic canned answer.

"A recent Apple Software update has caused freezing issues to occur on 10.7.2 with HD 3000 MBP models for Civilization V. We are working with Apple to resolve this issue. We appreciate your patience in this matter."

that was 3 months ago and the game still doesn't work. NO NEW updates and NO REFUND. It's like ASPYR doesn't care.
17 helpful votes
18 helpful votes
on April 15, 2011
I have been an avid Civ player for years, and eagerly looked forward to playing this game. I agree with the other reviewers who point out that this game is more of a strategy game and less of an empire builder. That in itself is a disappointment because empire building has been a key component of Civ's uniqueness and staying power. That said, I would have been satisfied if the game succeeded on the terms of a strategy game. It doesn't. The central challenge in the game is keeping your people happy. On the standard difficulty setting I found myself devoting all of my money and all of my advancements on the Policy tree toward maximizing happiness. It completely cripples your ability to expand.

There are some positives, and if there are future installments in the franchise, I would hope they will be included. The use of culture was innovative and well done. I liked that culture could expand your borders, but that entire cities would not defect to other, more well-cultured Civs. I also liked the Policy tree. I found myself more invested in pursuing cultural growth knowing that there was a tangible reward for it.

The music is beautiful, the graphics are very good, and the animated battles are more satisfying than the cartoonish violence in the previous iterations of Civ. As for warfare, I liked the hexagons. I also appreciate the attempt to give battles a tactical dimension by disallowing stacking. However, the resulting gameplay is often idiotic. A city on a small enough continent is essentially unassailable because there is no room to maneuver your units. The result is that a giant empire with all its resources cannot conquer an equally advanced civ simply because it cannot get enough weaponry in striking position without being bombarded to death by nearby cities.

The diplomacy is beyond idiotic. Allies will ask you to make war on common enemies, then denounce you for being a bloodthirsty warmonger. The more powerful you get, the higher the price becomes for everything. It quickly becomes impossible to trade for resources, because even friendly Civs will demand you pay everything in your stores for a single luxury resource.

I can see that a lot of thought went into this game. It contains many innovations that might have worked had anybody at the studio bothered to play it before sending it to market. The final verdict from this reviewer is that the game is just not fun.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on June 24, 2011
Sure, you need a Steam account in order to launch it.

Sure, if the guys who design the Steam interface were smacked upside the head with a tack hammer, it wouldn't adversely effect the performance of it (try having an update queued in offline mode and then go ahead and find the registry.vdf file in your User > [you] > Library > Application Support > Steam folder and set 'offline' from '1' to '0' by opening it as text file in TextEdit.)

Sure, there have been reports of being unable to open the game after the first time. For me, it works all the time, so I can't speak to that.

Sure, the max graphics on a large (not max size) map make my brand new quad core 3.1ghz 2gbVram iMac sneeze when i scroll in.

If you can run it, the game harkens back to what made Civilization special; one combat unit (plus one noncombat unit) per world tile changes about as much as the change from square isometric to hex does, but that really just adds to the strategy of the game, and removes the confusion of stacks of dozens or hundreds of units. You can no longer hide a gigantic army in a tiny port town on an enemy border, but that works both ways: now you can actually see when an enemy is about to mount an assault on you. Chess only has one unit per square, after all, so this thing isn't unheard of.

(The thing about the registry.vdf file is for real though. This is the other side of the coin of having PC games on Mac, doing things the PC way. On the bright side, doing it this way can give you a bit more power over the options, like how doing the same would change vapor effects in KotOR Mac.)

The game has a simple, 2D, top-down hex grid mode very similar to the game hexciv, and you can swap between that and the full graphics mode at any time. If the graphics are a serious issue, that might work.

If you love Civ and are capable of playing Portal 2, buy this game immediately or sooner. Otherwise, if you can meet the minimum system requirements, grab it.

When I started writing this, there were no reviews for the Mac download of this game. If you're still reading this, hear my plea: buy this game. It will encourage more developers to port more games to Mac so we don't have to risk installing Win 7 in boot camp or whatever and thus falling prey to spyware and viruses.
17 helpful votes
18 helpful votes
on October 21, 2013
I can't actually review the game since I cannot play it. Several months ago a bought a game from Steam and it was the wrong platform (I have a Mac and the product was for windows). I wrote Steam and they never replied, so I protested the sale with PayPal. Fast forward a few months, and I decided to buy this game from Amazon. Well, it turns out that it was a download from Steam. I tried to activate the download, and Steam would not due to my previously disputed purchase. I cannot say how disappointed I am. Steam is a company to STAY AWAY FROM if at all possible.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on April 22, 2013
Would have gotten five stars if I hadn't ordered it on DVD so I didn't have to download it, and still ended up downloading it anyway.

Also forces you to install steam in order to download/play the game, and there is currently a known issue with Steam on Mac computers (basically Steam's store page has a big fat memory leak and to keep it from crashing out you need to set Steams default window on open to be something other than the Store page, and each time you visit the store page you need to quit and then relaunch steam to avoid the memory leak issue, hopefully steam will issue out a fix for this soon as it's a pretty bad issue on their part)

So once I went to install it, and got steam installed (and updated) and then was forced to download over 2GB of data (i'm guessing the whole game, which is no small hassle where I am at currently deployed in Afghanistan with tight bandwidth limits and terrible connection speeds which is why I specifically ordered it on DVD.) it runs and plays great, love the newest version of the game. Been a fan of Civilization since Civ I and Civ II back when I was in Junior High. Thankfully they finally removed that annoying city flopping through religion thing... boy was that annoying.
on September 26, 2014
Great game, even to someone who has never played a game before! My daughter convinced me to download it and it is very addicting. I found myself playing at the lowest level, but sometimes stayed up until 5 am because it was so much fun to see what would happen. There are so many choices it seems overwhelming to decide at first, but the game makes it easy to learn. My kids play together and have the Brave new world module. I am not sure I'll upgrade until I get this down a little more. The first time I played I was a peaceful player, and the second I have taken over half the world! This is not a game for you if you don't enjoy military strategies and going to war. I didn't think I was, but it's actually quite fun. And, it explains to me the randomness of conflict across the world.
on October 2, 2016
This is nothing like the other civilisation games. You can't have more than one army at the same place. It also makes you download steam that slowed/ took over my computer. This is a non-refundable item or I would send it back. Don't buy it. This game sucks.
2 helpful votes
on May 22, 2017
Just buy an older version... everything is much worse in this version...
on May 6, 2013
Have been a long-time fan of both Civilization and Amazon. Civilization V is awesome. If you are a Mac owner and looking for an instant download, go through the app store and spend the extra cash. It's worth it. What Amazon doesn't tell you anywhere in the description is that you not only have to download the 2.xGB file from them, but in order to use it you wind up downloading a second copy of the 2.xGB file through a 3rd party supplier called "Steam". Not exactly what I signed up for. If you dig through Amazon's fine print, which I did after I was disappointed, Amazon covers themselves by not offering refunds for ANY software download.

It would have been faster for me to purchase the CD with my Prime Account and had it shipped.