Top positive review
$5 for One of my Old Favourites.
on December 25, 2012
I just tested this to make sure Amazon download worked okay, and it did (usually only buy games that can be redeemed on Steam). Tested it through the tutorial and such to see performance. Seemed okay.
This is probably one of those games you could only play if you have never played any of the sequels in this series, or if you thoroughly enjoyed it when you played it before.
-Good graphics. Pretty scenery.
-Interesting, although sometimes over-complicated, story (throughout the series, not just this game).
-Voice acting is good.
- Runs okay frame wise, on my pc at least.
- You can explore a fair amount from what I remember.
- Controls. On PC these are pretty sloppy it seems. However, it does apparently support the Microsoft 360 controller, so that's an option.
- Repetitive. This game is really repetitive, all of the missions are basically set up the same, inner cities have similar layouts, side missions repeat themselves, etc. It didn't bother me when I first played it, but it might now and I know many people dislike the repetition.
- Overshadowed by the sequels. As the first AC game, it was great when it first came out. However, if you have played any of the sequels, they did A LOT of things better. The grappling system in this one is very tedious and annoying. Especially during one mission in which you need to jump on wooden poles to cross a large body of water (falling in= instant death). You can't swim at all. Has less features, of course.
- Apparent crashing/lock-ups? I have not encountered any yet myself but I have read a lot of complaints regarding them.
All in all, I really liked this game when I first played it, and I know I still will. It hasn't aged as well as some other games due to dodgy controls (grappling system can be very annoying), but for $5 I'll take it.
If you're really unsure about it, watch the first few playthrough videos on youtube. If you don't want to play it, but want to know the story, skim through a playthrough.