Top critical review
One person found this helpful
on December 7, 2014
Assassin's Creed 3 continues the downward spiral began by Revelations. Why don't I like it? Here's the list:
- Boring plot (unless you're into the revolutionary history but even then I doubt you will find it exciting),
- boring and meaningless characters and events (particularly if you're not American and don't realise that you're bumping into famous people every two steps).
- The game is extremely restrictive - you have to do exactly what it tells you or you fail instantly.
- It has excessive amount of cutscenes on top of cutscenes, with short, pointless walks between them.
- Bland, almost identical cities without memorable landmarks do not help at all.
- Dull main character with anger issues,
- Bland other characters with unclear motives.
- Uninteresting main villain.
- Only slightly more interesting almost-main-villain popping every now and then.
- Unskippable prologue that is interesting yet WAY TOO LONG (around 3 hours of gameplay!!!) and even a nice plot twist cannot save it.
- Then you are forced to play through a mandatory tutorial where you are a younger version of the protagonist and learn to use useless stuff that you will probably do your best toavoid later in the game because there is absolutely no point in doing it.
- The only thing that is remotely interesting is the sailing part, but even there the novelty wears off fast.
- The technical side is also quite bad - the game is badly optimised for PC. Playable, but sometimes just barely.
I really wanted to finish this game because I enjoyed the first few AC games (although Revelations was a struggle at times). Yet this one... Ugh.
To be completely honest, somewhere close to the third act of the game I gave up. I was still mildly interested in how it ends so I watched the cinematics on YouTube (and yeah, they were disappointing and anticlimactic, glad I didn't waste more time on the actual game!).
The plot doesn't really move the Assassin's vs Templar plot that much and there are no memorable moments whatsoever, with the exception of the above mentioned plot twist (once you get there - this is the pinnacle of the plot, it all goes downhill from there, so watch the rest on YT).
AVOID this game. SKIP this game. Move on to AC4 if you really want an AC game (playing it now - still not as good as AC2 or Brotherhood, but WAY better than this pile of steaming poo.