Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on November 13, 2012
Assassin's Creed III is set during the revolutionary era with much of the campaign being focused upon events surrounding the war with England. That being said, this opened up a lot of new possibilities for the Assassin's Creed franchise. Many new additions made it into the game, though the game itself feels as though it stays true to its roots. All in all, I'll break down the various elements of the game (briefly) and score them individually, ending with an overall score of the game.

Storyline: 10/10
Being as how I have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed games since the first one, I have liked all the previous storylines; and this is no exception. The story is great, many twists and turns that you may or may not be expecting, either way, there is rarely a dull moment. Furthermore, this story can be picked up by newcomers to the series (though I would recommend playing the other games before this one to get a COMPLETE sense of the story) and returning fans alike.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
The gameplay is somewhat different from the others in regards to the way you "free-run" as well as to countering attacks and disarming and the like. However, it is simple to pick up and play, but fun enough to keep you interested. Some new gameplay elements were added such as being able to captain the ocean vessel the "Aquila" and complete privateer missions as side-quests. Overall, amazing gameplay with one notable downside. That downside being horseback riding. The horseback riding mechanics in this game are horrendous. I find it odd that in this game, sometimes a horse will get stuck on a miniscule object such as a very small rock, but then can jump over quite a large one. Furthermore, the horse does not handle as well as I'd have liked. I constantly find myself stuck between two trees or rocks because the horse doesn't want to turn properly. On another note, the horse sometimes get stuck in areas where it appears to have plenty of room to maneuver. I am not sure as to why that is, but it is nonetheless, irritating.

Replayability: 8/10
This game is great from start to finish, though there is no real reason to play it all over again. The only reason I even gave it an 8/10 is because of the vast amount of time you can spend completing the various side-quests and main quests. Sometimes there does need to be a great sense of replayability in a game if there is enough content to keep you playing for a large amount of time in a single playthrough.

Multiplayer: 9/10
The multiplayer in this game is innovative (in comparison to other multiplayer titles currently available). It is not meant to be on the same level as other popular titles such as Gears of War, Battlefield, or Call of Duty. That being said, the multiplayer is nowhere near as immersive as the aforementioned games, though as I said, I don't think it was intended to be because the primary focus in Assassin's Creed has typically been the single player elements of the game. There are various online gametypes ranging from team versus, free for all, or even teaming up with a few other players to take out designated NPCs. Overall, the multiplayer likely will not keep you excited for long, though it is a nice change of pace.

Graphics: 10/10
The graphics of the game are simply stunning. The character models are great as are the environments in which you play. Occasionally you will run in to minor graphical issues or "glitches" if you will, though they typically fix themselves promptly.

Overall: 10/10
I feel that this is a fair rating primarily due to the great story line and vast amount of options you have before and after the campaign is complete (depending on how you play). "Everything looks good, feels good, plays good, and is good." "Except for the horses, they aren't so great!"
on December 1, 2012
It is an absolutely stunning setting that you are immediately dropped into. They really captured the look & feel of what it must of been like in the Colonies at the time. From the comments the citizenry make towards you, the attitudes of the soldiers instantly capture your imagination. The scenery is meticulously detailed. Ubisoft really went all out by looking at maps of the locations from the time period and built the world around them and brought them to life.

The enemy AI is very good, but not excellent...There will be times you wonder why they didn't see you, while others you will wonder how they saw you...overall however, it is very good and above standard compared to other games that are currently out. The combat system is very fluid & not sluggish and the controls in general are very easy to learn & use.

I was very skeptical about the steelbook case for Assassin's Creed III. Alex Ross, the artist, did a magnificent job capturing the setting of the game the patriotic nature just exudes from it instantly, while maintaining the mystery of the assassin. It is very sturdy & a lot better quality than I had thought it would have been. It does have a shortcoming, and that is that it only holds one disc and the game itself comes with 2 discs. It would have been fantastic had Ubisoft (the games developer) had taken this into consideration and released it was a case that could carry double discs. Aesthetically however, it is absolutely beautiful.

My initial thought was to give it 5 stars, but really the fact that the game comes with 2 discs, but the steelbook can only hold one holds back a star. Definitely worth having if you are a collector.

EDIT: A comment below asked whether or not it came with the game. There were 2 steelbook cases that were put out. One of them was by an independent company and the other was released with the game as a preorder bonus. The one that was put out by the independent company did not come with the game, and the one that was put out by the developer (UBISOFT) came with the game, but it was separate with the game coming in it's own original release case. I just wanted to take the time to point this out to anyone that comes across the review and it may help them.
on December 21, 2012
I had the highest expectations for this game. I remember the first images that were released for Assassin's Creed 1 and thinking that it was going to be one of my favorite games. AC1 came and went, and I was pleased. It was fun, if a little repetitive.

AC3 was a no-brainer for pre-order. I played the spin-offs and enjoyed them enough, but watching the hype machine work itself into a frenzy over this game made me ecstatic. I couldn't wait until release day.

I began the game, and waited for it to start. For five hours I played it, waiting for the game to start. You don't play the main character for about that long. Little did I know that would be the best part of the game, story and mechanics considered.

Once Connor comes onto the scene, I was put through another tutorial. I'm almost double digits of hours into this game and I'm still treated to tutorials. But I soldier through because of the promise that was made. The story missions I try to pay attention to, but I begin to notice that they don't make a cohesive narrative. In order to hit all the main points of the American Revolution, we're treated to a highlight reel of events. This game barrels through Connor's life at breakneck speed. I would have spent more time doing side missions, but they're often served one at a time instead of all at once, This might have been to keep me from feeling overwhelmed, but instead I feel like I'm being led on and don't have any idea of when I'll be finished with the sidequests.

The gameplay is actually fun. If you do a block move and use your item you're treated to some pretty cool death animations. The guards in the city are more number and more obnoxious than I remember. Sometimes I can't tell between the people that I need to be running from and my allies, because it changes over the game.

The spot I pinpoint in the game is a story mission, the Concord/Lexington mission, where you're siding with the colonists, and at one point you are standing side by side with the militia. The militia all have the exact same face, which wouldn't be so bad if their faces were bare and somewhat nondescript, but instead they all have the same goatee and facial hair. It pulled me out of the moment and made me laugh.

Unfortunately, that's the level of quality control that I saw over the entire game. I can't truly say that I would recommend this game to anyone.
on November 2, 2012
I don't pre-order many games and it's been over 2 years since my last "full-price" purchase. So far I have really enjoyed this installment to the Assassins Creed series. I won't give away any spoilers, besides I am very early in the campaign mode of the game. I must say the developers have done a fantastic job with the graphics, story line, and the amount of content in this game. You will get a real sense that the game is playing out just like a movie, plus there are numerous side "mini-games" to play and I have barely scratched the surface. This game did get a lot of hype when it was announced and I have had experience with the previous AC entries but ...... I will add that I was a bit letdown by Revelations and felt it was rushed and could have been much better. I did haved my reservations, but in AC3 you will be refreshed w/a new character, storyline, and time period to explore here.

I pre-ordered this thru Amazon and like always, they managed to deliver the game to my doorstep in less than 2 days !! I can't say enough about Amazon's service and Ubisoft for their efforts for bringing a fantastic game to my living room. I'm very satisfied overall. All I can say is if you're a fan of this series it's worth the full price and this is coming from a guy who bought the prior installments at discount prices. AC3 also packs in many interesting facts about some of the landmarks you see as you progress through the story. The Game Designers clearly did their research here ...... Highly Recommended !!
on December 6, 2012
This is a great refresher for this game franchise.

The graphics are significantly improved and have the appearance of a well illustrated story book.

Gameplay is improved over previous AC titles as well. The new combat system adds some additional challenge, without being over bearing.

The historical references are a great part of Assassins Creed.

The multiplayer, is as of yet still lacking and needs improvment. It is clear that extensive effort went into improving this aspect of the game but it is still lacking the type of engagement that can is prevalent in other multiplayer games. Don't buy this game for it's multiplayer features. The most glaring ommission is any kind of Co-Op mode.

Do buy this game to enjoy a free form game in the GTA type style without the grit of GTA (or the cars). I have spent hundreds of hours just exploring the world of Assassin's Creed. While I almost never worry about completing achievements and find it a drag, I find myself wanting to spend the time to get the achievements in this game just because the experience in the AC world is so enjoyable.
on November 10, 2012
I was very excited to hear that AC3 was coming out in November and I am very pleased with what was produced. The fighting, simpler yet smoother, is just fantastic and the kill moves they put in are very entertaining to watch. The details of the colonies and just everything in the game is breath taking and the graphics have been updated and look great. As always, Assassins Creed delivers on an interesting story line, this one with some twists and turns that I certainly did not expect. The game is worth the price!
on May 2, 2013
It would have been very easy to make this a much better game. The issue I had with it was how easy the combat was, It's almost impossible to die and very easy to simple slaughter all enemies in head on combat. The game is beautifully made and the story seemed interesting but I really couldn't get over the fact that it didn't pose any challenge. Why sneak around and use all the parkour moves they put so much time into when I can just run in with a sword and kill everyone? It kind of ruins the suspense of assaulting a fort when I know if I mess up the entire fort fighting me at once won't be able to kill me.
on January 3, 2013
I've been a big fan of the Assassin's Creed series and AC3 is by far the best they have made yet. It is a long game if you do all the quests (~50hrs) so warn the significant others and/or kids that you may be occupied for a while.

The only thing I didn't care for in the game is in the Epilogue where you are to find pivot points. This seemed rather annoying and unnecessary - but everything else was great. I can't wait for the next one!
on January 15, 2013
I got this game for my 14 year old grandson. He was thrilled and very appreciative. It's fun making one's grandchild that happy.
on January 28, 2013
If you want to run through trees, and then jump down a kill a deer with your hidden blade YOU CAN. Also you can kill people this way but the heart of the series is hunting animals to provide you with loot that you can sell or use for quests to help earn 100% synch

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question