Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 22, 2013
I don't get it.

How is Desmond able to change his race every game?

From Arab to Italian to Red Indian and finally to Jack Sparrow clone? But Desmond is Jewish. (in my view).

How does the Animus machine (the one featured in all Asassin's Creed games) splice his genes throughout the generations?

And how is he able to live for hundreds of years?

This really doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know what kind of logic other people have, giving such games 5 stars, when they make absolutely no sense.
5150+ comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon October 29, 2013
Assassins Creed has been a series near and dear to my heart, so I'm somewhat unsettled by the number of flaws that the latest installment has.

The story is the mainstay still. You start off as a down on his luck sailor who accidentally kills an Assassin after escaping from a sinking ship. What follows is a rather pleasant exploration of more of the Templar backstory. The best part is Edward though, who flies by the seat of his pants with a panache thats almost Bond like and a real treat to watch. No training, no prep, you're dropped in the ocean and have to swim immediately. In the modern day, you are a Abstergo employee, silent and with your eyes locked into FP view with a tablet screen never out of sight, it feels like you've woken up in Google Stepford Wives.

Graphics are off. I don't know if is my TV, but everything had too much color, like you were running through a Salvidor Dali painting rather than a Caribbean beach. While this worked great with the jungle environments, in the cities, it always felt like you were slightly stoned with how bright and vibrant everything looked. Similarly, the modern day setting has everything so clean and neat, without any realistic grit to it, that it creates a sense of detachment thats hard to ignore.

Audio continues to be near flawless. Voices match well to characters, the dialogue is set to the time period but still understandable, and even foreign languages all add to the sense of involvement. It'd be more interesting if they messed up a voice badly enoguh to be noticeable with Ubi's track record in that area.

Gameplay is basically all the same. While a handful of minor polishes has been added, theres almost all the core gameplay of AC3. The naval warfare has been greatly expanded, and you have a lot more options with targeting with ship to ship combat, and the boarding actions are well put together, and don't feel railroaded like they were with Connor. Another major improvement is the buildup of your stronghold and ship. It used to feel like you would put in five minutes of effort and have the remainder handed to you on a platter, albeit slowly. With ship upgrades and even cash, you're working every minute. Not hard, but you definitely will debate at points whether to up your guns or your ship armor, or should you get a mortar to attack the higher level fort. You'll also not roll over every sea battle either, and you'll want to pass by several fat prizes and jump on the man o' war way off in the distance because its the one that has the last 100 or so metal you've been scrounging around for, and every battle hurts, even if its just a little bit.

Multiplayer continues to get its slow steady polishing. Aside from general gameplay balance upgrades that are apparent, theres not a terrible amount of difference between this and AC3. The best improvement is that you can now do solo wolfpack, meaning there's the option of doing multiplayer without having to wait for friends or rely on strangers if you just want to make level 35 to get a specific upgrade. The only downside is the story for multiplayer has been cut down to the marrow, and its basically vestigial.

A whole bunch of nits abounded, which is what, graphical anomalies aside, kept this from being 5 stars. You're shotgunned in the face with collectibles immediately, which is annoying. You are also given the option to do Assassin missions immediately, despite not even knowing who the Assassins are at that point(this happens within 5 minutes of starting, so no real spoilers) I want a reason to collect the journal pag-i mean sea shanties, even if its just a token one. The Abstergo overlay is a tad offputting, as it feels like it gives away the game to easily. I really didn't want to know in the first 5 minutes of play that Havana has 7 secrets. Isn't that why they're... secret? I'd have liked to have an option to create a modern day character to not feel like a floating pair of eyeballs. The guards blend in to well with the populace, so its too easy to bump into them.

Overall, this is still a great game. Entertaining story, good main character thats easy to slide in behind, and tried and true gameplay. Just some graphical issues and really jarring nits keep this from another deserved 5 stars.
1010 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 30, 2013
So I sat down after getting my chores done, excited, because this game is the first I have ever bought on day of release. Loaded it into the ps3. Had to load it 4 times before it would even detect the game. Once detected it started an update. (no surprise here) the update took most of an hour and froze at about 97%. It stayed that way for another hour. Frozen. (I am a computer tech and have 30 meg internet connections) Removed the disk. Now I'm back to fighting for it to be recognized by the PS3. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME FOR THE PS3. IT'S A HUGE WASTE OF MONEY.
99 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 3, 2013
So I won't lie, and I know that there are hundreds of thousands who would flog me for this revelation, but I have never loved the AC series. Now what I'm not saying is that I couldn't appreciate what was there, it was a technical triumph with a lot of hard work put into its historical mythos. The game had "unique" game play (there's nothing new under the sun but this series adds layers of polish), and truly captivating locals. I think this is why I spent hard earned money on multiple games in the series, on release none the less, only to call the game store within a week and ask the trade in value. Why was such an awesome series not grabbing me and not letting go till the finish line? I don't know, maybe I just suck at games, or possess the attention span of a tsetse fly. Either way I found myself, yet again buying, AC3 when it came out after being sucked in by the trailers and Conner's tree hopping, tomahawk throwing, animal hunting debut. Like clock work the game went back in a week.

This is the part where you get to call me an idiot, I bought Assassin's Creed Black Flag day 1, and here's the part where I get the last laugh; the game is AWESOME!

All joking aside, what ever the element it was that existed in the previous titles, at least for me, is all but gone. I got bored before, and now I find myself playing way to late into the night and happily struggling through my work day to do it again the next evening. The game has strong ties to Farcry 3 (another awesome title by Ubisoft) which may sound weird but it's true. See Farcry 3 was the pinnacle of FPS for me due to the open world, limitless possibilities for accomplishment, and the awesome hunting/crafting aspect. In Black Flag the hunting/crafting system exists, there are more options for accomplishing given tasks, and the freedom to explore and revel in the open world has been greatly enhanced over the games predecessor. This game will hand you a task, and 2 hours later you realize you have been ignoring your task and pirating the living daylights out of the game world instead. When you do get back to the missions you find yourself increasingly endeared to the main protagonist as well as his hearty band of miscreants.

I think this brings me to the part where I have to say "Buy the game". Which for me is a real surprise given my sordid past with this series. The pirating elements of this game are not just a gimmick, but the backbone of the experience with an Assassin's Creed tale woven in. Maybe that's what has bothered me so much in the past, that the game has been a total reversal of this concept, putting a sometimes overly convoluted story as the center piece with all the trimmings around it. This gives a forced experience that feels liner overall. While Black Flag invites you to board a pirate ship offering you the world as your oyster, while spinning a fabulous AC tale throughout. I have fallen in love with this game and Ubisoft finally planned it that way.

There are tons of great review out there better detailing all the in game activities that may be indulged upon. This was not the point of my diatribe (sorry long time fans of the series, I mean no ill will), nor the motivation for said piece. I really am just doing a slow clap for Ubisoft's lates work so all the other pensive purveyors out there can join in. If you want further details on the game you won't have to dig very deep as a plethora of information is being dumped on the web daily. I will say that slowdown exists in the larger cities, and it does suck! However, it is far from a game breaker, and I hope some patches may help in the near future. I also still hate the trailing a target missions, but even these feel more refined and streamlined. The stealth is better, and I love the guns as they are not overpowered and just feel awesome chained into a sword combo. The game is not perfect, oh goodness no, but it is light years in the right direction. Oh, and no more Desmond filled scenes of Shia Labeouf esque drama and angst (thank the maker).

In conclusion, if you weren't sure whether or not to set sail on this new adventure in the AC series, I say with confidence, pack your trunk and make for the high seas. Because this time you shan't find yourself walking the proverbial plank in less than a week. The winds of adventure and tales of intrigue are strong, with the world open before you for the taking. I hope you enjoy the game and I look forward to seeing your flag run high on the distant horizon.
99 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 4, 2013
I have to admit that I got caught up in the pre-release hype for this title; I enjoyed AC III so much that I was really ready for the next installment. AC 4 is in reality AC3 just set on the sea. I liked AC 3 because of its historical setting and many of its factual revolutionary war themes like Benedict Arnold and Benjamin Franklin (though he is an ancillary character) as well as bringing life to George Washington and others. AC 4 does not do any of those things. This is a game that is really just that so that took a little away from the experience for me.

Navigating the world is easy, basically the same controls and commands as AC 3. This is a nice feature as it makes life easier for the player. There is some modification to the naval battles and the guns that are used but it takes little time to gain an understanding of them. Upgrading your ship is cool because you can do it right on board the ship or on land at the Harbor Master, the fact that you can do all of the modifications as well as basically run the whole game from the captains state room on your ship makes the game a lot more fun. I still take issue with weapon selection, just like in AC 3 you have to be in a store or elsewhere if you want to change pistols and swords. The double pistol and sword use in attacking and fighting makes the game more enjoyable. This new feature allows you to move in battle in a more straight forward flow and be more leathal. The Edward Kenway character is a confused character because he's neither an assassin nor a templar. The story starts off with Kenway killing an assassin by accident and the rest pretty much you have to figure out as you go. If you are new to the AC franchise then this will be confusing to you.

The graphics are ok, they're not great, and I really think they could have done much better with them. There are a lot of little glitches in the software. I have found myself several times having to shut down the system and restart a mission because of software errors. Also, when you are using the map feature and set a target to go after or a destination to go to it is really, really hard to see the mileage/kilometer reading because the background in most cases is to bright. This can make it difficult to navigate to your destinations. I have tried modifying the video settings but it takes even more out of the games graphics. I found it helpful sometimes to wear sunglass when I play, (I know it sounds crazy) but it works. The creators worked very hard to catch the bright colors of the Caribbean and have, but in doing so it makes it hard on the player's eyes.

As you get deeper into the game you will find an island, Cat Island I think I can't remember, which is nothing more than Davenport Homestead from AC 3. You can set up everything there that you did in AC 3, (no churches though) bars, whore houses, bond fires and your own mansion as well as other pirate amenities remember its pirates not patriots, definitely not for children under 17.

The world is very, very, large. You can fast travel like you could in AC 3 and you have view points and instead of chasing almanac pages you chase around Shanty's which are pirate songs to teach to your men. The ship attacks are cool and you can take over just about any ship you come in contact with. You can make your ship stronger with money to take on bigger and bigger enemies. You get choices as the game progress that allows you when you capture a ship to fix your ship sell it off or add the captured ship to your fleet. This is a nice new feature and adds more fun to the game play. There are still a lot of bugs in the software so I expect that Ubisoft will be releasing more and more patches and fixes in the coming weeks and months.

All in all, it's a fun game, fast paced and relatively easy to navigate. It has a few brain teasers along the way and funny surprises. I purchased the collectors edition book which is helpful if you get stumped while on a mission which happened to me a few times. I think the price is a little high for the game. However the game is hands down better than GTA 5 which I purchased and solved in less than two weeks. I actually got bored with GTA 5 and played it again and solved it in two days.

I think for those who like the idea of a pirate life and enjoyed the naval battles in AC 3 you won't be disappointed. As far as Desmond and his fate it's addressed in the game and you do go back and forth in the animus, however it doesn't have the excitement that Desmond had in AC 3 and he is dead you are a whole new person. My only question for Ubisoft is where do you go from here? The AC franchise has been on moving forward in time and solving histories mysteries this game doesn't do that. Ubisoft is going to have to really think about where they are going with AC as a whole. It has to move forward in time but where? The war of 1812, WW I, WW II, further? This is a story line about assassins and their battle with the templar's. While the story lines have been compelling I doubt that most people know that the assassin comes from the Islamic religion and that the templar's from Christianity. So in the end the Muslims are trying to wipe out the Christians, I'm a secular humanist I don't believe in religion so I could care less. However for the general public what is being played is in reality a Jihad by the Muslims against the infidel Christians, an interesting concept, however if their audience gets educated to these facts it could have a negative impact on the whole Ubisoft company as well as its prize franchise. I put the historical fact about the game at the end of the review because the average person won't read this far.

Enjoy the game just don't take it too seriously, the information I provide about the history of the assassins and the templar's is TRUE you can do a Google search and read the history of the religions. I hold PhD's in Divinity and Biblical studies, (one of the reasons I no longer believe in religion just God) so if the subject interests you and you have read this far into my review enjoy understanding the history of the characters your playing in this game.
77 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 2, 2013
This game sucks big time. The original story is that Desmond's dad was taking over playing Nathan kenways dad. Not so much. This is 10 years in the future and absturgo is is a multi billion dollar gaming company. You can't even see who your character is. All you know is your a new recruit. As for the animus it's a desktop computer not a chair. You can see the enemy walk through buildings. All you do Is shoot Dutch ships and liberate islands you can't even explore except when they have ports. All in all it's a letdown compaired to 3. I was hoping to explore. Swim with sharks and not be on a ship the whole game. Yes in 3 the ship was a big part but atleast you had access to the whole environment even if it wasn't necessary
77 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2016
TLDR: You can tell this is meant to be a pirating sandbox game, but the added "Assassin's Creed" in the title means all the extra baggage that entails had to be included in the game as well. Sailing = okay. Everything else = upsetting. The following is a long list of complaints.

I know I'm in the minority by giving this game a negative review, but it is good to have differing opinions, so here I go...

Black Flag portrays several years in the life of Edward Kenway, a nobody with dreams of grandeur. Kenway is a man who loves the idea of his wife more than his wife herself and thus decides to abandon her for a decade or more in order to raise enough money to take care of her, yet meanwhile leaves her with nothing and no support...

Poor backstory develops into poor main story as we follow Kenway in his pirating adventures. The story starts off slow, completely disappears for 4 sequences as you hunt for medicine, and eventually concludes with a "that's it?" feeling of disappointment. As a gamer who finds story to be as--if not more--important than how the game is played, this is entirely unacceptable. By sequence 9 I was literally running through every mission just to finish this pointless chore called a game.

AC4:Black Flag has every appearance of another 10-month rushed Ubisoft AC game, much the same as AC:Revelations. (I realize development was longer than that, but I can picture the project lead saying, "Drop everything! We've got an entirely new direction for AC4!") Players loved captaining a ship in AC3, so Ubisoft threw a game together around that singular aspect. All other aspects of the game seem to be in place simply so they could slap the title "Assassin's Creed" onto this game. In fact, you can see distinct differences in quality between sailing and everything else in terms of how the game is rendered, ease of control, mission scripts, and the like. The mechanics for captaining a ship work remarkably well; everything else simply doesn't.

This game should have been a mere sandbox pirating game instead of the 6th console installment of the AC series. As it stands, however, Black Flag has the feeling of an incomplete game with severe technical flaws that introduce numerous glitches. The two aspects that grieve me most of all are the huge dive backwards in control mechanics and the hastily thrown-together graphics that are barely on par with the PSN version of AC:Liberation. I couldn't even count the number of times Edward did exactly opposite of what I wanted or the number of times I died because Edward failed to block several attacks. Shadow rendering and other textures are a glob of black dots and lines, destroying the aesthetics of everything that moves. This graphical flaw appears to be limited only to animated objects, but that still means pretty much anything with motion is simply ugly to look at.

In-game tutorials are completely backward. The game gives players more instructions for finding trinkets than it does for naval combat, which is the actual meat of the game. Captaining the ship and effectively attacking other vessels is not at all intuitive at first. Sailing controls become familiar over the course of a few game sequences, but Ubisoft could have saved me several hours of adapting by giving me a 10-minute training mission. I admit I am no hardcore gamer, so perhaps others will not find this as lacking as I did. The timing of what few tutorials are included in the game are all wrong as well. For example, you are "taught" how to complete assassin contracts and to discover Mayan artifacts in Sequence 4, but contracts have already been available the entire game and by is point you should have already found three Mayan artifacts from earlier main story missions.

Of course, all of this is per the usual of AC games--after all, you can capture forts in AC3 before Connor even teams up with Americans, and it takes 3 sequences for Ezio and 5 sequences for Connor to become assassins--but AC4 just seems to blunder worse an any of the previous titles (except for perhaps AC:Revelations, which is just awful). Even so, sailing the open seas is rather enjoyable, at least for a time. The game certainly does suffer from rapidly diminishing returns if you sail for the sake of sailing. Don't forget to actually progress the story in your travels!

What is unusual within this title compared to earlier AC releases is the annoying upgrade system and the terrible respawn locations. All previous AC titles required the use of gold to upgrade the protagonist's gear and then offered various methods by which to collect income. Black Flag's upgrade system throws money overboard and literally forces you to perform menial hunting tasks in order to gather the ridiculously over-varied quantity of supplies necessary to upgrade Edward's gear. Fortunately, weapons can still be paid for with money, merely your ability to carry additional ammunition is hindered. Upgrading the Jackdaw (Kenway's ship) is not as difficult, but it does force you into countless naval battles as you scrounge for raw materials. At one point is spent 4 hours just pursuing naval combat and was still only able to afford a handful of upgrades. What is most upsetting is that Ubisoft did this intentionally so that they could offer in-game purchases called "Time Saver packs" that give you whatever resources you need, for a price. Paying for DLC is one thing, but deliberately punishing players who refuse to buy your in-game purchases is a low blow.

As for the respawns, should you die or otherwise fail a mission or quest that involved getting somewhere by boat, the game respawns you leagues away from your destination. I assume this has something to do with not dropping you into the middle of conflict, but being placed just out of range of an enemy would have sufficed. I hated having to waste 5 to 10 minutes in travel every time I failed a mission.

In terms of the assassin aspects of AC games, Black Flag really isn't all that good. The game simply doesn't fit well within the Assassins-versus-Templars world. If, however, you rate the game based on the actions you perform and content available, this game is okay. Examining shipwrecks and engaging in naval combat is vastly superior to crawling through haystacks and slashing guards, though you'll still be doing much of the latter. Hunting for treasure and harpooning whales is another added plus to the monotony of looting chests and chasing pieces of paper in the wind. I only wish Ubisoft would get rid of eavesdropping missions. I find these tedious and obnoxious, yet are were so many of them that it feels every third mission requires eavesdropping.

I'd easily rank Black Flag among the worse games within the AC series. AC fans, be warned, this isn't your typical AC game. Your enjoyment of this game will be immensely improved if you don't dive in expecting a continuation of what you've been doing for the past several games. That being said, if you expect anything more than a sandbox sailing game, you'll probably be vastly disappointed.
on December 1, 2013
Oh boy, where to begin with this... (Minor spoiler alert if you haven't beaten III yet) Desmond died at the end of the game, so this shouldn't even exist. This is the same game, just re-skinned (much like the Call of Duty series). They took the boat sequences from Assassin's Creed 3 and made them a central part of the game. How do you think they keep making these every year? It's because it's apparently easier to just take the same game (engine and all) and just add a new coat of paint. Oh, and Edward.... Edward is probably an even bigger canoe than Altair, since Edward doesn't have any morals (being that he is a pirate, I guess this seems like a nitpick). The really bogus explanation over how they're still continuing Desmond's lineage just falls flat, although it felt most of the characters were made of cardboard in this series anyway. If you want a good assassin game with actual stealth and a game that actually requires you to think, go pick up Hitman: Absolution.
66 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 8, 2013
This is my first Assassin's Creed game, I've just never picked-up any of the other games, I was always playing something else, so I can't relate this to any of the previous games in the series. I've always loved pirate lore and that time in history and have always wished for a game that would allow you to channel your inter pirate, and Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is that game.

This game is awesomely fun! I love sandbox games (GTA, Red Dead, and so on) I just finished up with GTA V prior to AC 4 being released. I found that good, but I would get bored with it. But when I play Black Flag I lose myself in it, I've played the last three days and haven't touched the main story, I've just been trying to upgrade my ship and character. I play and before I know it, it's 3 hours later, GTA 5 I could only play for about a hour.

The side activities are more enjoyable then I thought, I thought harpooning sea creatures would be ok, but it turns out to be a lot of fun, and rewarding once you get a white whale. Even the underwater game play was better then I imagined, usually swimming in games suck, this wasn't so bad, you'll still get suck on dumb stuff while being attacked by sharks but for the most part it is easy. The sea shanties that you collect from the world are a hidden gem, I find them stuck in my head hours after playing, but in a good way, not in the way that you want to bang your head into something to make it stop. They really are a small detail which adds to the fun of the game.

I give this 4 stars and not the full 5 because the the game will frustrate you for no reason, case in point, you can climb to the top of a church steeple no problem, but then you can't walk up a hill. You can also be climbing and just stop and hang there....there is all kinds of stuff for you to climb and grab onto but no, you stop and hang, it's really frustrating when this happens when you're trying to get away or chasing someone. Not to mention the random wall climb when you don't want to. I don't know if these are an issue for the franchise on a whole or just this game, and I will admit there maybe some user error on my part, but not all of it. I would also like to see an endless supply of assassination contracts, you only get I think 30 or so, and once you complete them all you get pistol swords, which are awesome, so I can see having a set number to do to achieve that but like in Red Dead Redemption bounties never ran out, when you finished one a new one would replace it. The assassination contracts are fun to do and I missing doing them now.

Assassin's Creed IV is a beautiful game, the graphics are amazing, you get some weirdness going on, but on the whole it's awesome. The characters and story keep you excited. There are many places to explore and sailing the ship is fun in itself.

So if you're looking for a fun game, get this game.
If your looking for a pirate game, get this game.
If your looking for a sandbox game that you can just do whatever you want in, get this game.
Bottom line, get this game!
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 1, 2013
Black Flag does what Sid Meier's Pirates (henceforth simply "Pirates") was unable to do, though likely so due to technical capabilities and the scope of the game. It has been such fun playing through this game, to the extent that I feel like fresh breath was brought into the franchise. I felt that Assassin's Creed III was good and had a lot of good qualities to it, but it just felt like a place holder. I read somewhere that someone higher up in ubisoft said that if people liked Connor (the main character from AC III) then there would be an extension of the story, like there was for Ezio (of AC II fame). Obviously, such was not the case as we now have AC IV with Edward Kenway. He shares the same last name as Connor's Templar father, but 24% into the game I have yet to find out if there is a connection, or probably more likely, what the connection is.

I will say that there may be an issue of patience for some people in this game. Kenway's ship turns slowly (compared to "GTA V type speeds") and the ocean is vast with many ports that are distances apart and even simply traveling from one destination can take seemingly forever. Sometimes, also, there are missions on nearly opposite ends (so far) of the available areas of the ocean. FORTUNATELY the creators of this game are not idiots and recognize the impatience of some people and have included many opportunities to unlock "Fast Travel" sites (similar to those that have been found since circa AC: Brotherhood) that instantly, after a short load screen, travel the player to desired locations. More importantly, if you get bored or impatient traveling across the ocean, then you're doing it wrong and here's why:

Much like in Pirates, as you sail the seas there are ships that are also out sailing - this is not a vacuum. They are all carrying some kind of cargo, be it fire barrels (used in battle), metal (used to upgrade the ship), or sugar (used for trading) among others. So you pull out your handy monocular (the thing you see pirates looking at distant ships through in movies), size up the difficulty and payload of the ship approaching (or that you may want to chase down), and engage it in a sea battle. You can also attack forts and set up your own base in place of it there. Not to mention the fact that after damaging the ship without sinking it, you can use grapple hooks to pull your ship in so you can actually board the enemy ship and then have a battle on the deck of the enemy ship. These battles can get a little hectic and at times mildly frustrating ("Nooooo they just killed me and that would have given me the 108 extra metal I need to upgrade my Hull!!")

So while you are en route to your next destination, there's plenty of booty to be had (snicker snicker). I cannot stress enough how satisfying the naval battles are, but I can say that often I am distracted from the story missions because I'm out at sea, plundering and pillaging the seas until I say to myself, "Fiiiine. I'll go to the exclamation mark..."

Back again is the upgradeable "hometown" or "homebase". In this case it is Nassau, apparently in the Bahamas. So far, it hasn't been as complicated or in depth as with Ezio, but it is nice being able to invest in building up one's "home" town again. Also returning is hunting, though it has deeper meaning than it did in AC III. Each animal, typically, gives you a bone and a species specific item like a skin or a unique bone. These items are used to craft better pouches. Also, crafting includes health upgrades - so you craft your own armor. Additionally, you can sell the skins and bones you acquire for profit or buy some if you don't feel like looking for a black leopard.

So far the story is engaging and the characters are interesting. I'm still trying to figure out whether or not one character, James Kidd, is a man or a woman... Everything seems to flow and there don't seem to be any missions that stick out as a point in the story that was forced so-something-later-could-happen. The voice acting is on point and the graphics are loverly (the ocean is a perfect example of the graphics).

A negative side, though, is that this is Assassin's Creed so there are glitches and there are things that you should be able to do but can't for some reason (like climb up a wall if you walked rather than ran up to it and got too close. What?) Also, there have been a few times where I can see an enemy on the minimap, but as I sneak up to that area there is no one there until magically an angry, alerted guard materializes out of thin air. These are mistakes typical of the AC franchise (I hate to say) but they are not obnoxious unless you take your gaming super seriously. No one likes to die, but getting overly upset is another thing altogether.

This game is a gem and I have been playing it every second I get. Admittedly....that didn't happen with GTA V. I bought that and played it off and on until this came out not expecting much (not after AC III) and now I am hooked. Hands down the best game I have played in a long time and CERTAINLY the best in the AC franchise.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.