Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,270 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,437 reviews
on January 23, 2014
So I got this game on a whim since I had a gift card and it was on sale at the time. I was skeptical about a new assassins creed since the previous three (while not bad by any means) didn't exactly win me over. I was starting to feel that the yearly release schedule wasn't helping the games in the long run.

After several hours of playing the game and several more to go, my fears where put to rest. The game not only breaths new life into the series, but it also does a lot of what the franchise has done before in a better way. The ship battles from assassins creed 3 have returned and given tons of polish. Your primary form of transportation is using your new ship to travel around a large Caribbean sea. While out at sea you can attack any other ships you want, find uncharted items, hunt large sea animals, upgrade your ship in your cabin, and find small ports to run around. While back on land the game turns back into the assassins creed we know and love (unless you hate the franchise in which case the land sections can be as few and far between as you want). You can go on missions, take assassination contracts, hunt small animals (you monster ;) ), find collectibles, and upgrade your equipment.

Speaking of the assassins creed we know and love, the story has returned in all its bizarre glory. The ending of assassins creed 3 is rarely brought up and the fight between the assassin and templars is now being looked at from interesting new angles. The main character in the past is Edward Kenway, a pirate who wears the clothes of an assassin but isn't actually a full on member of the creed. He is in a race between multiple factions to find the new macguffin and take it for his own. His story seems more personal this time around and always had me wanting to see where it went.

This is the first game where I tried the multiplayer so I don't know how it compares to the other games. It is pretty fun with some pvp modes and a "wolfpack" mode where a group of players team up against some NPCs to complete objectives. The user interface for the multiplayer didn't feel very intuitive but hopefully I can get used to it. The main point I want to bring up for the multiplayer is the level of customization. Wow does this game give you options! Almost too many if I have to admit, but it definitely kept my attention.

I gave this game a 5/5, but it really isn't perfect. At times the game feels too easy, the assassins creed running can still get clunky at times, and I could understand if anyone eventually get bored of sailing or plundering ships (thought it didnt for me). Fans of the series will want to check it out, newcomers should really check it out, and haters may want to check it out as well just to see the new spin. Overall i had tons of fun with the game and its amazing atmosphere and maybe you will too.
on May 23, 2014
I upgraded to the PS4 version using the digital download code that came with the game. Huge difference in graphics between PS3 and PS4. I know because I got to play it on both systems.

I originally got this on PS3 for my brother. He had just got Grand Theft Auto V and was busy playing that. Lucky for me, I got to play it for awhile. I payed the $10 to upgrade to PS4 and I enjoyed the game so much that I ended up purchasing my own PS3 copy after my brother took his back.

This is my favorite Assassin's Creed by far. I've played the original and a few others. I love that they focused on pirates for this game. The sailing is new to the series and hardcore fans seem to dislike it. I guess I'm not a hardcore fan because sailing was my favorite thing to do! I loved this part of the game! LOVED it! You can customize the ship as well as upgrade it and its cannons. You can pull up to other ships, board them, have an epic sword fight and then rape and pillage! Well maybe not rape but you can pretend (haha). I hope they make another game focused on being a pirate.

Besides the sailing, this game keeps to the core of the series. All the usual stuff from previous games. Still a ton of optional objects to collect, things to unlock and places to locate. I thought the story was good, never had an issue with it. Another new thing is the addition of diving underwater in order to explore shipwrecks while evading deadly sea creatures. I enjoyed this as well.

Bottom line is that there are not many games on the PS4 to choose from, good games anyway. Currently, I believe this game is definitely one of the best on the PS4. I highly recommend this one!

If you have questions, I'll answer them. Take care!
on June 17, 2014
I was a big fan of AC2, but didn't give AC3 much attention. I was skeptical a bit, on this one, but the pirate theme is one that hasn't been done enough in gaming, and the reviews are good, so I hopped on board. Now I can't put it down. Yes, it's pretty much "AC in the Caribbean", but the execution is masterful, and the variety of activities is so vast and seamlessly integrated, it's an absolute gem of a game. Treasure hunts, sea battles, exploration, pirate/assassin missions... each feature unique and yet engaging in its own right. When you get tired of killing, .. you can take to the seas .. or explore a new town... or decipher a treasure map.. or hunt for wild animals... or.. you get the idea.

However, I was never quite interested in the whole "Animus" angle, that you're actually reliving an historical character through some virtual reality headset, like in the other AC titles. It just doesn't seem necessary to the game and I've never really understood that storyline anyway. Why would I want to "turn off" the pirate game so I can walk around an office building and have meetings with middle managers? Sounds too much like my real life. So I just stay a pirate as much as possible.

All in all, a gorgeous game, well voiced, with a deep story, and an enormous, diverse world to keep you entertained for weeks.
on April 26, 2014
It's a beautiful video game in every aspect.
I'll be super short and say I am a new fan of this beautiful franchise.
The stuff that matters. 1. Story, it's well written and creative and long enough to get your money's worth.
2. The physics, the physics are superb, they're fluid without being jerky and they're realistic to the point of you'll think to yourself within a battle that, 'THIS IS WHAT WENT ON WITHIN BATTLES IN THE OLDEN DAY'S'.
3. Graphics, they're not what you hope them to be after have seen the story trailer's, however they're what you'd expect for this generation of consoles and the late period of the last generation (PS3, 360). Terrific.
4. The humor, this time around they've gone with a light vibe to the game with it's hardy but fluid and interesting story.
5. Last thought's it's worth your hard earned money, it'll last a good while.

CONS, Bugs, the game has a few bugs. Say you win a battle against a enemies ship and you park your's to board the ship. Well after it's parked you climb your way up a 'sails pole' and try to jump off of the pole while holding onto a rope hoping you'll swing onto the enemies ship. You MIGHT, find yourself in a grey glitch y world with the camera turning ever which way while your character disperse. That's the worst of the bugs (glitches).
The last glitch (bug), is in a middle of a fight your character starts twitching because your stuck between a group of attackers or the camera some how starts glitching.

SO, there you go my fellow people and gamer's have a great day, morning afternoon night whatever.
on May 7, 2014
As the father of a 4-year-old daughter, I don't have as much time to game as I used to. I hadn't played any Assassin's Creed games before, but I had heard good things about this title so I decided to give it a try. Am I ever glad I did!

The voice acting is superb and the main story is engaging enough that my wife enjoys watching as I play. There is also a large and extremely detailed open world to explore. Where this game shines, though, is in the sea battles, which are completely unlike anything I've ever experienced. Spotting ships in the distance, giving chase, and engaging them is an absolute blast! Also, the ocean has dynamic weather that can plays big part in how the battles unfold. I've been playing (when I can) for months and I'm still only about half-way through the main story - by choice, as I'm the type who likes to explore on my own. I've read that there's about 20 hours of main-story play time.

Long story short, this game is unlike anything I've played before and the wide variety of gameplay elements combined with the seafaring aspect quickly made it one of my favorites - I plan to pick up the previous AC games based on the strength of this title!
on April 10, 2014
I can not say enough good things about this game. Amazing open world, beautiful graphics, interesting and engaging storyline, smooth stealth systems, outstanding combat system, naval combat is amazing and revolutionary.

For true sandbox gamers, you must get this game. I found I was having to constantly remind myself to pursue the main storyline. There are so many other fun aspects of the game that will distract you. After playing for 4 hours straight (and ensuring that I would need an extra cup of coffee at work the next day) I was amazed that I had barely made a dent in the content. It takes quite a bit for me to actually write a review on a game. Skyrim and Fallout 3 are the only games that have ever driven me to comment. Please get this game. You will not be disappointed.
on February 22, 2014
Yes, I said it. This is the best AC game out of ALL the others. Not that the others aren't good. In fact they're pretty awesome but this game broke all boundaries and went all out. You can sail the open seas, steal and plunder as you see fit, and still be a bomb-ass assassin. The storyline is good, the fight sequences are fluid, glitches are little-to-none. One fairly new feature on the AC series (and I say "fairly new" because this was already on ac3) is the use of your ship, The Jackdaw. You can control the boat pretty much the same as you would on AC3. You will come across, tornados, storms, high winds, rogue wave, you name it while traveling. Which makes the game much more fun. You can customize your ship to make it stronger and add more firepower. You can customize your character, Edward by purchasing different weapons, different outfits, and you can even hunt animals in this game (sort of like far cry 3) and craft pouches, craft better armor, even outfits that are only available through crafting. Did I mention you can hunt great whites?
on June 6, 2014
I reluctantly bought this game because I had heard things like, "they should never focus a game on the sailing part of the 3rd one". But I figured I would try it out. To my surprise it was actually really entertaining and addictive. I will make a list to make reading easier.

Pros:
- PIRATES! Who doesn't love pirates? And to be honest this game has created something super fun that hasn't really been done before.
- Open world to sail and plunder! You can go around and explore islands and settlements, as well as open ocean
- Many activities to part-take in. From Whaling and gambling, to attacking and boarding enemy ships, you can spend hours just sailing around not even continuing the story.
- Nice graphics and visuals. As always Ubisoft has made their next AC with great landscapes and towns, fully immersing you into 1715 villages and islands, untouched and beautiful.

Cons:
- As of late the stories of AC have dwindled. This story seems a little short when it comes to involving the player in a deeper story such as AC1 or AC2. It was an OK story, but they could have done much better.
- The fighting system is still lacking. Once again, since AC1, the fighting system is far too easy and mundane. You can simply wait for your opponent to attack then counter him and kill him with one button, even though the kills looks cool, you don't feel like you are really trying. (For the ground fighting, not naval battles).
- Sometimes the free running doesn't work the way you want. As you're running through towns or forests sometimes Edward (your character) decides to do a 90 degree turn and run up a wall or tree, if you get too close. This makes for some frustrating sequences if you are trying to escape some guards. You will be running towards a hay stack, then he will jump onto the ledge next to it and over it instead of in it.

Over all this is a really fun game and deserves a play through. If you want to save money I would say buy a used copy, but maybe not rent it because you will want more time to just go around and plunder the seas ;)
on October 18, 2016
Cool stuff, but it's more fighting and less "assassinating." And there are still those annoying eavesdropping missions... and the boring music (which seems to be a glitch since it fights more with a menu and not the atmosphere) is too loud during these to hear what they're saying.

And I know most people like open-world, but I always get annoyed by the distractions... but that's kind of my own personal problem.
on February 14, 2014
This game was ridiculously fun, and one of only a handful of games that I've loved enough to complete to 100%. I don't much like running around outside of the "animus", I'd rather stay a pirate. I'm a HUGE fan of the old Sid Meier's Pirates game, and this is very similar as far as building wealth and plundering ships. I REALLY hope they continue the series at sea. My favorite part of the game was the sea battles and plundering other ships.

As in all the other Assassin's Creed games, sometimes your character jumps around and does things you don't want to do while simply pressing forward, but the battles at sea, the atmosphere, and the pirate theme will always be a favorite since reading Tom Sawyer and digging for buried treasure as a kid.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.