Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,510 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,706 reviews
on October 30, 2013
As a Skyrim fan, I'm surprised to find out that AC IV has a more appealing and vast world. With its fascinating ocean, colorful tropical islands and exotic cities, AC IV is such a visual feast. The world is really huge for you to explore, you can chase sea shanties, seek buried treasures, rob cargos to upgrade your ship, get materials for cool costumes, raid tombs for some Mayan mysteries, leap in a tropical jungle to hunt panthers or just abuse your mighty powers and gadgets over some poor guys, etc, roaming the AC IV world freely is pure fun.

Anybody disappointed by AC III should give it a try. The core mechanics of the game stays largely the same, however, improvements and modifications bring it a totally new feel. I, whom AC III's clumsy gameplay system gave a constant headache, could hardly believe that AC IV's gameplay gives me a satisfying experience. Combat is faster, so timing of counter/attack is more challenging. Enemies can do much more harm and can shoot you down if you're climbing up the wall trying to escape, making the combat much more intense. And you have all these new upgradeable gadgets to use, switching between different tools is much more convenient than in AC III. Besides, since the world is much more sandbox-y than ACIII with a much more diversified and open environment, the game really encourages different approaches. I love stealth approach a lot, which you can really do in nearly every task, and the it's incredibly fun and fulfilling.

The system is totally revamped, easy to understand and handy to use, which helps me recover from suffering of AC III's confusing system. I haven't gotten into the story too much yet but I think an average Hollywood plot will be enough for such a fun game. There are some bugs, but it's already pretty good for such a vast open world in which you can do a lot of difficult interactive movements.

And the naval world? Couldn't be better. This game has totally lived up to the hype around the pirate theme. The ocean itself is breathtaking. Dense fog with deadly ships rising from legend, monstrous waves and tornados coming at you in a scary storm, rosy sunset over the horizon with white sea gulls flying by, or just a tranquil ocean under a starry sky, Ubisoft has done a legendary job bringing all the beauty on high seas to your TV screen. The naval combat couldn't be more fun and has become my new hobby. Don't get it wrong because the original formula from old AC games has been polished to such a new height that the land part is already much better than older installments, it's just that Ubisoft has built a parallel naval world that is as appealing, if not more. Two worlds are integrated seamlessly together, making AC IV the best pirate game ever.

Overall, this is an amazing game with a fantastic world. For me, it's like playing a much more nimble, no-magic dragonborn(a Nord I guess) in a world similar to Skyrim, but much more colorful, light and diversified.

The only big problem might be that AC IV would keep you occupied and unwilling to quit for a long time. I'm writing this comment after a long night's exploration of Havana and some islands. Anybody who want a highly-disciplined life should NOT get this game because it can suck you many hours without you noticing it.

BTW, I really love the soundtrack. It has a really sweet Caribbean flavor and really fits in with the environment. This game is an auditory feast as well.

So what else to say? AC IV comes at a special time when the whole industry is ready to move onto next gen. This is a symbolic end of current gen and I'm not sure if I'll keep gaming like before. But AC IV comes along and for me it puts an glorious end of current gen. So...everything aside, just grab your pistols and sword, hop onto your ship and sail under the black flag to this wonderful world!
99 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2013
I'm one of those gamers who has played all of the Assassin's Creed games more than once and hated, just HATED, Assassin's Creed 3. I was really hesitant to pay another $60 for AC4, but am very glad I gave the franchise another go. AC4 is exactly what I've come to expect from Ubisoft. They have definitely redeemed themselves in my eyes. The action picks up immediately, the cut-scenes are crisp and seamless without the looonnngg dead spaces between them as in AC3. And they stopped dragging you around by the nose, which I really appreciate. I can go where I please and explore the gorgeous cities, picking and choosing whether I hunt treasure or rescue pirates or follow the story line. I can do all the sneaking and shooting and assassinating in whatever sequence pleases me and the story, so far, is really fun! I haven't run into any real bugs yet. Edward is occasionally a little slow climbing or hiding, but you can get used to that. The naval scenes are great. So, Ubisoft, all is almost forgiven. AC4 Rocks!!
1515 comments| 207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2014
I played the first AC and it was kind of repetitive for me so I stopped playing. Never really picked up another AC until Black Flag, and OMG is this one a blast! Once you do about 6 missions you get your own ship and crew, and that's when the game becomes a whole other animal. You will need to continue the story line to unlock certain upgrades and things, but you can just take off in your ship and do whatever you want at your own pace. Go check out island, plunder ships, defeat and take over enemy ports, etc. etc. The basic AC staples are still there, you can still sneak around and climb anything and perform assassinations, but you can also just run around and do whatever you like. The world is HUGE. If you haven't played an AC game in a while, try this one. If you wanna live out your pirate fantasies, go right ahead. If you wanna just sail around and explore, well, you can do that too.
on September 6, 2015
Ok so I haven't played any other AC games. This game is hard but so much fun! Sea shanties, Pirate ships, sea battles, cannons, treasure maps, it has it all! You get to battle other ships for loot, follow maps to buried treasure, fight the enemies and of course captain a ship! The controls are a bit difficult to learn and I'm still getting the hang of stuff, but overall this is a cool game. I really like it.
on March 9, 2017
Favorite of the series, many unique environments and characters. An entertaining story with very smooth gameplay and massive world with so much to do.
on January 8, 2014
Its all about the sailing missions. More fun than landing a plane on the pch. The only way this game could be more awesome is if trevor was the main player. Trevor riding a yoshi....ah but i digress.......good game and no arrows to the knee.
on March 14, 2017
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag gave a great description of land battles and sea battles with ships.
on March 24, 2017
Game CD's look like new and work great, thanks.
on December 8, 2013
My Son is going to be really Super Excited to receive this on Christmas Morning. This arrived right on time and the protective wrapping kept anything from damaging it!
on July 29, 2014
I just started this game, and I absolutely love it! It's a fun, open-world game like the other AC games, except it involves treading water as a pirate. It's a different idea from the other games withing the series, but I have enjoyed it so far.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.