Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 16, 2014
The information in here is excellent and well-researched but I could not believe how little attention is paid to one of the areas that deal with patients in pain constantly, namely the ED! We get little mention, which is unfortunate, because studies show we do not do a good job managing patients in pain overall. The other thing I really do not like is the spiral binding. This book is to heavy and cumbersome for that type of binding. You need a large flat surface to lay it on if you are going to do any serious perusing.
What I did like was that it addresses controversies in pain management, and dispells the many myths surrounding the use of narcotics for acute pain and for chronic non-cancer pain. It also provides excellent material on dealing with the very difficult patient that never has a doctor that is available, always needs narcotics in specific amounts, then runs out way too early.
This book really is the gold standard for nurses when it comes to assessing and managing pain, but it needs to get rid of the spiral binding and give us some info on the ED setting.
One person found this helpful
on September 30, 2011
This book was edited and partially written by two nurses. It is much better than standard medical textbooks--especially as it provides a lot of information in a logical fashion. It is also usable by patients, who are willing to spend the time reading it. Wall and Melznak (SP?) textbook is good, but not user friendly and is difficult to understand for most doctors, not to mention patients who might be interested in the topic. One of the contributors is Russell Portenoy, perhaps the leading pain expert in America today. This is a good advertisement for the quality of this book.
3 people found this helpful
on January 24, 2015
My problem may not be so much with the content of the book since I have enjoyed and found educational what I have read so far but the problem with the Kindle edition. I do not like at all how the boxed in sections are difficult to read. I will never again purchase a Kindle version of a textbook. I only did it this time because I forgot to buy my book and I needed it the day I purchased it.
on September 15, 2017
Great textbook for review prior to certification.
on April 6, 2011
These two experts on pain managemnt have produced another classic. The art and science of pain management fills the pages. Guidelines are evidenced based. The discussion of drug addiction explored the myths and facts that all nurses face daily. It made me explore my own biases !
7 people found this helpful
on March 28, 2011
This manual is an excellent resource for anyone working in healthcare or has an interest in the management of pain. As a nurse, the authors' previous manual has been my go-to reference for years, and this new one will now join it. It's spiral-bound format allows for easy reading and for copying the patient medication information sheets provided. A very thoroughly researched resource.
4 people found this helpful
on October 31, 2014
A great reference for any medical/nursing providers
on October 31, 2010
Very useful. Well written and physically well constructed. The spiral binding takes up less room on my desk, too.
3 people found this helpful
on January 13, 2014
This is an important reference book for any healthcare person involved in caring for those who have pain.
Pain is underrated by to many of us and this book will help change your mind
on October 29, 2016
Very good book. I found this book extremely helpful for my class. I wish I had done this sooner it would help me so much.