Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on May 24, 2014
If you want a very wide education on astronomy, buy this calendar. You will then find yourself buying the next and following year's copies annually as I have been for over twenty years.
This is the most valuable and enjoyably written product purchase on the market .
The most well assembled and written collection of astronomical information available.
Superb, large format graphics of monthly and perpetual astronomical illustrations of everything you might
want to know about the universe.
This is a must have for anyone with interest in astronomy.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I have gotten one of these every year for about a decade and every year that I think I can go without, by March I have bought one. Almost a too much information publication, after a bit of reading it is easy to figure the sections that are relevant and those I will not use. The format is large, quite a bit larger that a regular magazine so I don't use it at the telescope-- it's not about star charts as much as it is about times and dates of events. The quality and comprehensiveness astounds me sometimes.
One person found this helpful
on December 28, 2013
I've been getting Guy's calendar since 1998, and this year's model introduces some new formatting that's worth noting, and celebrating. The big change is that rather than having 2 pages for each month of the year, we now have 4 (with 6 in January). Among the excellent added monthly features are skydome charts for several latitudes (50N, Equator, 35S); AND three views from the typical 40N: evening, midnight, and pre-dawn. All this not only adds usability for folks living outside the Northern hemisphere temperate band covered by the typical default image in sky maps, but also offers a more expansive planetary perspective for those of us cultivating a more 3D sense of our cosmic neighborhood (which is likely many or most of Guy's readers....his Astronomical Companion is the bible for such inquiry). New monthly features include a short "wide sky" narrative about the yearly parade of views away from the Sun, and a scatter-map of telescopic targets for the month. And, more room to stretch out his "the planets this month" narrative a bit, and add a couple more images of evening or morning planets.

All this comes with a cost, of course; the 26 extra pages devoted to monthly highlights means less room for some of the annual overview information that has long filled the bulk the calendar. Gone are the centerfold sky dome maps; and coverage of planets, meteors, comets, eclipses may be slightly shorter, but is still substantial. The primary sacrifices are the long-time Fred Schaff essay on some aspect of the deep sky, and the recent inclusion of 2 or 3 special features (those with a library of annual calendars now have a good collection of timeless material from these features; Fred may well have pretty much covered what he wished to by now anyway). One more fun new feature is a colorful 4-page spread near the back (Fred's old spot), featuring Zodiac strips for each month, on which we can track the planets and the sun's twilight/predawn glow through the course of the year.

If perchance you've lagged on getting these each year (an omission I'll admit to being guilty of at times), suffice to say this is a good year to give it another look!!
6 people found this helpful
on July 14, 2010
As a science teacher I find this publication to be an excellent reference for the many aspects of visual astronomy and in general for the history of the space research programs. Each month has an illustration of the evening stars/constellations with the positions and monthly motions of the visible planets and moon. In addition to the sky chart, there is the daily description of the various astronomical events or histories relevant for that month. The latter section of the Astronomical Calendar is filled with in depth topics on: the individual planets, the moon and its attendant eclipses, comets, asteroids, and finally a summary discussion of the various national and international space programs. Perhaps the one noted limitation of the calendar is its focus of the constellations of the northern hemisphere.
on January 17, 2015
Excellent astronomy info with amazing illustrations. Not really a calendar, you cannot hang it on the wall, and it would be useless as an event planner.
However, if you want to learn astronomy or plan your year as an amateur astronomer, this is for you.
on December 12, 2009
I have purchased the last two annual Astronomical Calendar's written by Guy Ottewell, and will continue to purchase this wonderful work complete with the monthly sky charts and a wealth of information for anyone interested in viewing the night skies. It is extremely well written with graphic illustrations showing relative sizes of all of the planets, a calendar for all of the annual meteor showers, comets, asteroids and many other bits and pieces of technical information about our universe. I look forward to receiving my 2010 calendar.

John
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 18, 2015
I first purchased Guy Ottewell's Astronomical Calendar about 10 years ago or so. Loved it. However I only bought a couple of them over the years and kind of lost interest in amateur astronomy about 5 or 6 years ago. Now that I'm retired, I have more time to get the telescope out. In the "older" calendars I really liked the the "what's out this month" listings of galaxies, nebula, planets, major stars and constellations, NGC and Messier objects, sunrise/sunset times, etc. I was expecting this year's edition to be similar only to find out that the "what's out this month" listing of galaxies, nebula, NGC and Messier listings, etc. are not included. However planet locations, sunrise/sunset times and all the other features are. So, not quite what I expected. But on the other hand, the listings of "what's out this month" are the same now as 10 years ago. Using the 10 year old Calendar in conjunction with the 2015 calendar (which has updated planet locations, and the like) is not too much of a big deal other than I need to use two calendars. But of course every amateur astronomer has oodles and oodles of sky atlases which all have just about the same information (and some at a hefty price). But my favorite was Guy Ottewell's. So this wasn't quite what I expected. However this is a great read, contains a lot of information, teaches me a lot, and just a good reference to have. Guy's explanations are exceptional as always.
on February 21, 2014
Very nice publication with lots of useful information for star-gazing through the year. The book is large, but I haven't had a problem using it at star-parties etc
on February 15, 2012
My greand daughter received a new telescope for Christmas so I bought this book. Very nice, informative about coming events, and layed out in a very easy to understand format. If you have a telescope get this book.
on March 10, 2016
Fantastic resource, have been purchasing for 20 years. But it is the last to be published. I'm very sad. Get it and enjoy it this year!