Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on July 13, 2013
This is more of an overview than an actual review. I needed a dedicated HTPC after my Dell Inspiron 580s recently died on me. It was noisy with the fan really going whenever an HD video was playing. I researched various mini pc's and narrow it down to 3 units, Intel Atom D2500 Dual LAN which lacked 64 bit driver support, the ZOTAC ZBOX which looked too cheap and cheesy for my taste and this unit. Had this unit for a month and it handles all 1080p content (files, streaming & Blu-Ray) with no problems. At first I thought that the dual core 1.86 GHZ Atom (Cedarview) processor wouldn't be powerful enough but it passed with flying colors. The Atom processor runs at low power and low heat (feels the same has my Gen 1 Roku and Netgear router) with a fan that runs very quiet. The 4 front USB 2.0 ports are very convenient and the 2 rear USB 3.0 ports comes in handy when I finally get around to buying a compatible devise. The wi-fi really has not been tested good so I don't have a definite opinion about it. I'm running Windows 7 HP X64 on a 32 GB SSD with 4 gigs of RAM along with XBMC Frodo & PowerDVD Ultra 11 with media files on a 1 TB WD My Book External HDD plus a generic external notebook BD-ROM drive. The one main con I have about this unit is the headphone jack that doubles as a S/PDIF output and requires an adapter for use with an optical cable. The adapter looks cheap and only one adapter is included. Haven't used it yet so I can't form an opinion about it. For digital 5.1 audio my advice is to get a USB sound card instead. I'm using an old Creative SB 24 Bit Live External with no problems. Another one is a lack of documentation on how install the RAM and HDD/SSD which can be remedied with a visit to YouTube. Will do an update on the long term quality of this unit but so far so good.
on May 29, 2014
I put in a 120 GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM (Both Corsair) and hooked up a Logitech k400r keyboard/touchpad combo. I had an Asus EEE-BOX B202 with a single core Atom with an integrated Intel GMA 945 and it could never handle video. This box can and it boots in a snap with an SSD: using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Hooked up to my Vizio TV with the HDMI. It all works with aplomb especially when after installing the NVIDIA display drivers (if you install Ubuntu, google "ubuntu NVIDIA GeForce 610M"). Why pay for an OS when there is so intuitive as Ubuntu, and free. I merely pulled the SSD drive from my other box and put it in this machine and Ubuntu usually tolerates this well as long as new machine does not have odd hardware.
Positives: Pretty much everything. I am seriously glad Asus went with NVIDIA rather than intel with the video card. Intel has not been very supportive of their video cards, especially the GMA 500/600 and the GMA 3600/3650. NVIDIA seems to embrace the Linux community
Negatives: This isn't really a negative per say but could be a bit of a challenge for super technically challenged people. Removing the cover was a tad tricky but there is a decent You Tube video on how to do all of this It literally took me 5 minutes to open it, add the memory and hard drive. Hooked up in another 5.

I am typing this review on it right now:-)
on March 19, 2013
For the last 4-5 years a ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom 330-based HTPC running some linux variant of XBMC has been the primary source device in our home theater setup. I've been a fan of XBMC for many years and when it was announced that one of the major features of the latest version would bring official support for HD audio, I knew I had to have it. Sadly our old Zotac box only supported multi-channel PCM & no HD audio streaming. While MC-PCM was fine for Dolby True HD streams, with the Ion, the DTS-HD streams would be reduced to core DTS because the hardware simply couldn't support it. We have a high-end Definitive Tech setup so I wanted the best. Initially I was interested in the Intel NUC devices but they seemed rather overpriced and I also wasn't confident how well VAAPI hw acceleration would perform vs VDPAU. So I kept digging and found this ASUS EeeBox with Nvidia GeForce 610M and decided to give it a shot. Surprisingly, I was able to pull the hdd straight from my old Ion setup, put it in the ASUS along with 4GB of ram, enabled HD audio settings in XBMC and it played perfectly! So now using XBMCbuntu (Frodo) we're able to get pure Dolby True HD & DTS-HD MA bitstream from full BD50 Bluray rips (BDMV folder structure & BD ISO's) perfectly to our Marantz AV receiver. We've only had it for a couple weeks so can't speak to its long term reliability but the unit itself produces minimal heat & noise in the AV cabinet and is very slim in size. Only con is that it didn't come with any useful documentation on installing components so I was relegated to looking up YouTube videos, other than that I'm extremely happy with this unit. Wouldn't recommend it for a full Windows gaming setup but for a small low maintenance HTPC running XBMC, OpenOLEC or something similar, it's perfect.
on June 18, 2014
The EeeBox is very great for space limited buyer and/or one who looks for mini PC to be mounted to the back of the screen. It comes with plenty of useful accessories like VESA Mount Kit to mount the device on the back of your screen and a Stylish Stand to keep the device standing vertically.

Its performance is very good, I've added to it OZ 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM (1033 MHz) this is the bottleneck of this PC and that's why I gave it 4 stars, wish it could handle faster Ram.

I really like the design and the black touch, i wished there were more detials/instuctions (printed/online) on what specification of RAM and HDD/SDD that are compatible with it.

I do like that it has FULL size 2 USB 3.0, 4 USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, Aux/Mic, which makes it very easy to connect devices you like. Also 512MB GPU is super powerful for it's ideal usages.

When installed Win7 (32bit) and after all drivers were installed, the Windows Expereiance Index is 3.6 (determined by lowest subscore) which was the CPU.

I wish it had a built-in bluetooth to use it for Audio devices like external speakers, Mouse & keyboard.

It's ideal for web browsing, word processing, blogging, light photo editing, media server, and home networking.

I do recommend others to buy this device at this price ($193) as it delivers more value for mony, taking in consideration the extra bucks you'll spend on HDD/SSD + RAM, and if you have them lying around, you are good to go.

This review is awesomely written on this little PC.
on May 7, 2014
I just picked up a used EeeBox EB1033 at a very good price via Amazon. I already had a 4gb memory stick so just ordered a 120gb ssd, my first experience with an ssd. Watched a video on youtube from a very helpful guy on how to open the case and install both memory and ssd. Just followed his lead and the job was done in about 30 minutes. Already had the mythbuntu 14.04 usb drive prepared and that install also went without a hitch which really surprised me. I now have a new frontend to go with our new tv in the front room. The only hitch I have had thus far is that our wmc remote refuses to work when hooked up to a usb3 port. Works fine on the usb 2 ports so not a problem but something to look into. This looks like its going to be a great unit; light and all kinds of connectivity. Video is prefect with live tv as well as recordings and videos using vdpau high quality default settings. I could not be happier.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 6, 2013
This is an excellent little box. I'm using it as a media server/TV PC, so my case may be different than most. It does have a bit of fan noise, but in among my TV, PS3, and receiver I can' hear a thing.

It seems to run most basic programs pretty well (chrome, VLC), but I haven't really pushed it. You can even do dual screens (HDMI and VGA), if you want. I used it as my main internet PC for a few weeks until my gaming computer arrived. Of course it isn't as smooth, but it was more than adequate for most everyday use.

One note: it doesn't seem to support Windows XP. Regardless of the configuration (differnt hard drives, different boot methods), it would never see the hard drive as a valid install location. Windows Vista and Windows 7 install fine (no idea about 8). Doesn't really matter, unless (like me) you have an upgrade version of Vista or 7 and need to install a previous version of Windows to install. Thankfully, there are ways around that.
on February 23, 2014
I had a large free standing VGA monitor left over after my old desktop had outlived it's usefulness and I wanted to do something low cost. My thought was to have one additional machine for web browsing, something simple. After a little research I found this. I have it bolted to the back of the monitor, you can't even see it. I put a small WD 320GB HDD in it and used Ubuntu to format the HDD and as the OS. I'm happy to report that it is working great. This machine arrives naked, no software or anything to make it run, I had to create an Ubuntu ISO bootable USB to get it going. It's not real speedy but it's also not real slow. I think it will work well for what I have intended. You'll have to have some PC skills beyond working with a fully imaged machine showing up from a major manufacturer but if you're a bit of a geek and know how to research on the web (great videos on youtube for both this machine and Ubuntu) and you're not afraid to work under the hood, this is a bargain and hobby-project (but it only takes about 2-3 hours..).
on May 13, 2013
Just adding a hard disk or SSD and some memory and you have a great media center. I am using it with a 1GB hard disk and 2GB of memory. The OS is Ubuntu 12.04 which runs great on this hardware. The book process is surprisingly fast and the GPU support HD content.

We hardly watch TV these days and mostly use this device to stream or play recorded videos. Great value for money. The included VESA frame allows you to mount the computer to the back of your TV screen (assuming your TV screen supports VESA frames). This way you neither see the computer nor cables.
on November 19, 2012
I was somewhat skeptical that a dual core Atom could handle full HD output, but boy was I wrong.

I added 4GB of RAM and a 250GB, 7200 rpm drive to this and installed Windows 7 Ultimate from USB. Disassembly was incredibly intuitive: remove all the screws from the back and slide the top towards the front. Installing the hard drive was also simple: attach the drive to the provided riser, and attach the riser to the case, sliding the drive into the SATA connector as you do. Windows 7 installed without any problems.

Performance is snappy. I have a 1.6GHz dual core ASUS Atom netbook, and this is noticeably more responsive. It multitasks well and handled all the basics with flying colors: Chrome, VLC, Office.

This box is tiny! It's about the same size as a slim PS2. The USB ports are all easily accessible, and HDMI takes care of the rest. It comes with a VESA mount that'll let you attach the unit to the back of a monitor or TV, so it even eliminates its own clutter.

Highly recommended if you need a basic, no frills computer for browsing and media playback, and don't mind adding a disk and RAM yourself.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2014
Much better than the older version.
I have had several of the older EB-9xx and older, and the video was way to slow. (HD was choppy if it even ran.)

I now have this one running HD no problems and streams Prime HD easily.
The main reason I bought this one is for the NVidia chipset.

You can run it as HDMI or RGB + old school audio if you have older stuff. (I have a mixed system)

So: 120GB SSD + 4GB RAM, Asus EB1033 + HK = not bad for low $$
F.Y.I. All my owned media is located on a QNAS in the other room and works fine. (Hard wired I did not try WIFI)

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.