Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 9, 2016
Even though DVDs are becoming more and more obsolite, I thought it would be nice to include one in my PC build.

Pros:
-not much to say, works perfectly no complaints

Cons:
-can get REALLY loud sometimes, but isn't a big deal

This product is pretty straight foreward. Uses one SATA data connector and one SATA power connector. It worked with no problems for me. Just lock it into place, put in the cables, and you're good to go.
review imagereview imagereview image
238 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 26, 2017
I've owned this drive for 3 years and it has been a reliable drive. Some might say that these are going the way of the dodo and while that may be true, as long as CDs are manufactured, I'll continue to use them. For that reason, It's hard for me to trust online stores that sell "Lossless" versions because I would rather rip it myself.

I have it set-up and primarily use with Exact Audio Copy 1.3 to rip lossless copies of my CDs to FLAC format. This (DRW-24B1ST i) has a read offset of +6 as reported by AccurateRip.com for accurate CD ripping.

As far as DVD burning/writing goes, I have never used this feature so I can't testify to it's effectiveness on this drive. As for cd ripping though, It has been nothing short of a great drive to use and I would highly recommend it if you are beginner or an experienced user of the art of CD ripping.
review imagereview imagereview image
7 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 20, 2017
I noticed Asus burners were used in some older HP products I've had in the past, which performed over 7 years, so I decided to give this one a try. I can't attest to the long term quality of this drive yet, but it's basic functions are great. It's extremely fast, burning CD from iTunes in about 3 minutes. It's also very quiet during burning and playback (if you are in the next room over, with the door open, you can't hear it running.) I replaced a CD drive in a Dell PC (old tower style - Windows 8) with this Asus and I was concerned about the fit, as this PC has a large plastic door over the cd tray, but it fits perfectly. ***Be prepared that this product doesn't come with instructions or any cables. This drive is geared towards people replacing old cd drives, where you remove the old product and slide in the new, reusing the existing cables. There's no need to install any software, you'll get a Windows prompt the first time you play a cd requesting what actions you'd like windows to take any time this type of CD is entered. Other than that, just be prepared to remove some phillips screws and swap out cables.
6 people found this helpful
on January 5, 2018
I seem to have the worse luck with these cd/dvd recorders but I told a friend I would try once more to record two music cds for him... It was a disaster and I went on line and ordered this recorder from Amazon. It was here in a day and a half. I pulled out the old one and this one plugged right into the same connectors. I installed the software... that was easy. The songs were still waiting for recording so all I had to to was hit the burn button. It took about 20 minutes to record then the cd auto ejected. I handed him the cd's, he went to his car and plugged one in... Awesome!!! every song had recorded and the quality was great. I have never had a problem with any Asus product I have purchased. This was a great deal.
2 people found this helpful
on July 5, 2017
Still using it to this day! I've used it to play music, install games, and even burned countless CD's on it and it still works well! Only complaint is that it has an audible whirring noise when it first starts up. Kind of annoying but other than that it's cool!
3 people found this helpful
on June 28, 2017
This is a great DVD burner optical drive for price. It is plug and play, I plugged one SATA power cable and one SATA data cable, and boom it powers and loads. Upon fresh building PC, installing Windows 7 was a breeze. Just popped my media into DVD drive and it booted and ran it quick. The only downside is the noise level, you definitely know when the optical drive is in use! Other than that though, great!
2 people found this helpful
on July 17, 2017
Makes noise when spinning up. Try too load a program for my printer from disk and had to insert disk two separate times to get the disk to read. On the first attempt the disk spun badly out of balance. I am not very happy with this drive. I am not sure but believe the drive may have taken some abuse in shipping. It was in a box that was twice the size it needed to be with NO packing inside to cushion the drive.

Additional Info: This drive is extremely noises when loading software. I would not buy again.
on February 19, 2017
Hangs up trying to load after only a 3 months of use. Product does not open with side button on my PC, don't know if this does not have this capability or is just not working but I have to open through the computer which is just another window and op but it is not convenient. At any rate I am now researching for another one. There seem to be a number of other brands in this price range.
3 people found this helpful
on August 25, 2017
Works well, easy plug and play through a sata connection and power and no driver installation needed. Very convenient and well executed.

However i'm going to give this 4 stars for two primary reasons..one. It gets extremely loud when starting disks, as in, very noticeably loud. Which kind of threw me off when i first did my testing with it.
And two. It can get extremely hot with prolonged use. Again this is a standard thing with diskette drives..but it really makes me want to instal an extra case fan just to cool it. Which worries me for longevity of the part.

Of course, this is an optical drive. It's cheap, handy, and very easy to use. I recommend everyone has at least one of these lying around when using computers
on October 19, 2017
I needed a SATA DVD drive for my desktop PC after replacing my motherboard, because the new board didn't have an IDE connection. This drive was low cost, and the install was effortless. Power down the PC, slide out the old, slide in the new, plug in two cables and done. Windows 10 recognized the drive right away. It seems quiet to me--I have not experienced any loud/unusual sounds like I'd read in some other reviews. Win!