Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2016
Even though DVDs are becoming more and more obsolite, I thought it would be nice to include one in my PC build.

Pros:
-not much to say, works perfectly no complaints

Cons:
-can get REALLY loud sometimes, but isn't a big deal

This product is pretty straight foreward. Uses one SATA data connector and one SATA power connector. It worked with no problems for me. Just lock it into place, put in the cables, and you're good to go.
review imagereview imagereview image
233 helpful votes
234 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 19, 2017
OK...This review is about my experience with the second of this item I've bought. The first one of this same burner of a few years ago was "fantastic". I burnt over ( I don't exaggerate here ), 2,000 cds/dvds successfully. The 50 or so fails were mostly bad discs. So when the burner started going bad I bought the same one again. In a couple months it is so bad, It needs replacement. In the last 2 weeks I've had at least 10 bad burns that I do, blame on the burner. Since the previous one was great I can only assume that this one is a lemon, so don't give up on it so soon as an option. That being said, this one is VERY noisy, takes an hour or more to burn, if at all. The first burner was not noisy at all and burnt in the correct amount of time,depending on whether it was a cd or dvd and the chosen functions. I have DVDFAB, that I've been happy with for my DVD burning since 2003 and they update monthly so I know it's not the program at fault. If you get one of these burners watch and listen to it carefully before your warranty is gone. Mine went bad after the warranty expired. If you buy one of these burners, Please don't review it until at least a few months after you've had good or bad results with it. Reviews by people who praise something because it got to them fast, arrived in good condition, or any number of inane comments that tell nothing of the quality of the product, is of no value to a "thinking" person. What to look for now, to replace it.... Good hunting.
on November 15, 2017
Solid drive that I use without a case with an Anker USB 3.0 adapter. I like to sit it on some anti-vibration feet while ripping my cds. Then when done back into the cupboard. Much more reliable than my built in drive in my older HP desktop. In my decades of experience, CD/DVD drive have been the weakest links of computer systems and they all eventually die, maybe even sooner than hard drives if used a lot. Best to get a solid one that does not cost a lot, this fits the bill.
on December 26, 2015
At this price dont complain if it breaks after 2 or 3 years of steady use. Seems to always have Dual disk rfecordable disk douyble writes but they all pass verification and come oujt great. There are almost no 24X speed disks available for recording so thats a bit of nonsense. A good all around 16X 8X double and 52X CD recorder. No software. Best no junk free burnin software is "Anyburn". Make sure you hit Finalize disk before burning or it wont play on other players. This applies to any PC recorder. Finalize will prevent you from adding more stuff later but makes it compatible with any other DVD or CD player.
2 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
Pretty much what you'd expect from a DVD/RW player no problems with installing it physically and no problems having the computer recognizing it either once I booted on linux. Always nice to have an extra drive in case the other burns out and you're left wanting for one and at an affordable price too.
on November 15, 2016
Much like the old 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, and even CD's... it looks like PC mounted CD/DVD "burners" are on their way to oblivion. Meanwhile, though, I trust ASUS for this burner. Have bought several, loved them all. Ideal for home PC builders.
on May 1, 2017
Good basic DVD drive. I was worried after receiving it only placed in a plastic wrapper - no box, not even bubble wrap. It works though, and the price is right. I would prefer to receive electronics properly packaged though.
on March 2, 2017
Product died in 3 months. Only writes half of DVDs and then stops saying drive failure. Other drives work fine. Somehow cant get Asus support to initiate a return? Filled out the return on their site... still no reply a month later.
on December 1, 2014
I have a older Samsung SH-B123L that is rated at 16x performance. Right now it is ripping away at 19MB/s.

On the other hand, my newer Asus 24X can only do 8-9.5MB/s

Somehow that doesn't seem to be twice as fast to me.
The Asus also has a tougher time on some disks and has read errors. The Samsung reads those disks with no problem.
2 helpful votes
on March 15, 2017
Does what it is supposed to do at a very reasonable price. Time will tell how durable the product is. I burn a few disks every week. Trial run was good - - no problems. Unit is noisy, but most are.
22 comments|Report abuse