BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2016
Even though DVDs are becoming more and more obsolite, I thought it would be nice to include one in my PC build.

Pros:
-not much to say, works perfectly no complaints

Cons:
-can get REALLY loud sometimes, but isn't a big deal

This product is pretty straight foreward. Uses one SATA data connector and one SATA power connector. It worked with no problems for me. Just lock it into place, put in the cables, and you're good to go.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2017
I only used it during some CD installations when i setup my build, so far so good 1yr from now it does work not that i use it daily or anything, nowadays most games purchases and stuff even applications in digital form, still this is recommended for people that about to start building PC or CD collectors for faster installation etc and want something cheap yet useful to help them in their first configurations, Good luck everyone.

Low noise level: 4.5/5 almost quiet
Rotation noise: 5/5 no noise once the CD inserted you won't hear anything when icon appears

So far it is the most quiet CD drive option i used since ever i was a kid.
on July 17, 2017
Makes noise when spinning up. Try too load a program for my printer from disk and had to insert disk two separate times to get the disk to read. On the first attempt the disk spun badly out of balance. I am not very happy with this drive. I am not sure but believe the drive may have taken some abuse in shipping. It was in a box that was twice the size it needed to be with NO packing inside to cushion the drive.

Additional Info: This drive is extremely noises when loading software. I would not buy again.
on January 23, 2015
Great drive. The only reason I bought it for was just to install an OS on my new PC build. It's a bit noisy but I wasn't sitting watching paint dry while the OS did its thing so I didn't take notice after leaving. I'll probably use it to install some other programs and what not and its great for the price. Just make sure you buy from a reliable vendors. Check their reviews!!! Can't stress that.
review image
on October 14, 2016
Broke in a month. A rubber band and white plastic gear shot out of it when I ejected a disk. I thought I would be able to work around it by manually closing the tray but no luck.
on November 19, 2016
This thing broke within a month of use. The open disc button doesn't open the device and Asus wanted me to pay for shipping to get it fixed. So far the last two things I bought from Asus have had issues so I'm beginning to get wary of this company.
on April 29, 2017
I love the Power to go 8, software that comes with this DVD optical drive. Power to go 8 software has a feature that lets you mount a ISO or disc image onto your computer in windows 10 and the mount is recognized as if I had the actual DVD or CD in this Asus optical drive thus allowing to run the app or program or game that would normally require a physical disc to be inserted into the Asus optical drive. This Asus optical drive is very dependable and well built.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2017
This drive works wonderful. A few weeks ago I replaced a bad Pioneer Drive with the new version. It would not burn any discs. It was slow (played okay), so I ordered the Asus. I hooked it up and it runs like a dream. A very quiet drive too. I may replace my second Pioneer drive with another Asus.I am totally happy with this. Pioneer is not what it used to be!
Enthusiast: Petson December 16, 2013
I bought this to put in a new system build. I've been really happy with my Lite-On drive in my old system, but the reviews for the Lite-On drives weren't very good, so I decided to "risk" buying the Asus. If nothing else, it matches my motherboard (namebrand).

I've burned several videos and data/photo discs (DVD-DL) so far, and had no problems at all. I'm running Windows 7 x64 which is a lot more stable than the new Windows 8 (at the moment).

I don't think you can go wrong with this drive -- nice, basic DVD-RW drive. About the only gripe I have is there's a little too much writing on the front of it, making it look a little tacky in a case that doesn't have a front panel cover.
on April 14, 2017
This drive has been used and abused for the better part of the last nine months, and it has performed flawlessly, mostly to back up my extensive DVD collection onto a drive in my media server. Read and write speeds are pretty much as promised using open source benchmarking utilities.