Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 556 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 602 reviews
on August 10, 2012
First off, I just wanted to clear up the confusion. There are a lot of people giving negative feedback on this device thinking they got an older TF201 (Transformer Prime) keyboard dock that was simply repackaged as a TF700T (Transformer Infinity) keyboard dock. That's understandable. Even I was confused by the writing on the box which has "TF201 dock" in the title in various places.

But here's the deal: According to ASUS, these are in fact newly designed TF700T keyboard docks. So long as the P/N says "TF700T-DOCK-GR", it definitely is a TF700T Infinity dock. No question about it. And yes, it is definitely different from the TF201 dock.

How does it differ with the original TF201 dock? According to everything ASUS has written, the answer is that the new TF700T dock 1) has better weight distribution to prevent tipping over, 2) has a slightly smaller battery with slightly less charge, and 3) costs up to $50 more (but I see they're lowering the prices on these as I type this).

I've exhaustively gone through the XDA forums on this, and people are saying that the Infinity tablet does in fact work with the old TF201 keyboard dock, but that some people were complaining that it wasn't a perfect fit, and some were actually saying that it was scratching the metal case or maybe even slightly chipping the edge of the glass. Others said that their TF201 dock was fine.

So, based on the possibility that the original TF201 dock might not fit as well as the new TF700T dock, and based on the fact that the TF700T dock should have better weighting to prevent it from tipping over more often, I decided to purchase this new TF700T dock instead of the old dock for my new Infinity tablet.

Yes, it's up to $50 more. And you do get about 10-15% less battery life from the new dock. But, I still think it's probably the better combination to use with the new Infinity tablet.

Here's what I suggest doing if you want to know for sure. I've actually not done this yet. You may want to just bring your Infinity tablet to Best Buy and try inserting it into an original TF201 Prime keyboard dock. Compare it with the new Infinity dock if they also have it on display there. See if there are any noticeable differences in fit and weight distribution. If not, then go ahead and buy the original TF201 Prime dock instead, because it has slightly more battery life.

Now, as for the keyboard's feel and function... I have to say, this keyboard feels wonderful, despite the fact that it's so small. I expected it would be terrible. But that's just not the case. It is so easy to type on. The keys themselves provide a good amount of tactile feedback. I can very easily bang out emails and type in web page addresses. I type at over 80 words per minute, and it keeps up just fine. I can't say enough good things about it. It's a much better experience than using an on-screen keyboard, let me tell you.

There are just a few nitpicky things I'll say about it. First, I noticed the right-shift key was smaller than what I'm used to, and I had to adjust my typing style slightly to accommodate that. Second, there is no "DELETE" (rub-out) key. There's a "Backspace" key, of course. I later found out that you can do a DELETE by pressing shift-backspace. No big deal there. And lastly, it is a smaller keyboard than your desktop keyboard. But in my case, it seemed pretty easy to adjust to it. I find myself looking down at it every now and then to make sure I'm on target, but usually I can just type away without looking at what I'm doing on it.

EDIT: One other key that appears to be missing that I would really like to have is the ESCAPE key. Most people probably have little use for that key, but it is a requirement if you use certain editors like VIM which we unix geeks like (but note: the "Vi Improved Touch" app remaps the Android return key to ESCAPE for you, so you're fine). It can also come in handy if you're using the web browser and want to escape out of full screen mode or something. Or if you're using your tablet as a way to remotely control your PC desktop. Usually there's some work-around like bringing up the virtual keyboard instead, but having a dedicated ESCAPE key on the dock would be a lot better. There are some online docs on how to remap the Caps Lock key to become the ESCAPE key, but it appears you need to have root access to achieve this. I'm not sure if there's any other way to achieve it at this moment. Not a big deal, but I did want to mention it.

EDIT 2: Someone in the comments section noted that you can always just press CTRL-[, and it's the same as ESCAPE. So you actually don't need a dedicated ESCAPE key. Very useful tidbit of information! (Thanks, Jordan!)

As for the positives, there are a lot more than negatives. For starters, those Android keys at the very top-most row are a welcome addition. You can easily toggle wifi on and off, as well as bluetooth, to allow you to get better battery life on the road. There's the volume control keys to raise/lower/mute volume. There's the screen brightness raise/lower keys. The standard Android "return" key is on the top-left, very easy to use. I probably use that key the most. There's also the screen lock button on the top-right, which I use second most frequently. There's also a button to toggle the keyboard's trackpad on/off, which is very welcome as it prevents accidental mouse pointer control and clicking while you're trying to type something.

Another thing that's nice about it is how well the Infinity tablet actually fits into the dock. It fits very snugly and doesn't wobble at all while it's in there.

I mention fit, because I've heard others online complaining that their Infinity tablet didn't fit as snugly into the original TF201 Prime dock (not this Infinity dock). Some actually bought some little pieces of rubber with sticky adhesive on the backs to stick into the dock interface to make it was a perfect fit. I'm not sure if it really hurts not having a perfect fit, but I guess some people worry about it. Mind you, a lot of people with original Prime docks are reporting that theirs fit just fine, so I don't know what to make of that.

Anyway just to reiterate, this new TF700T dock does not have this problem. The fit is very snug. It's snug while completely closed and open. The whole unit just feels very solid.

As for the weight balance and the risk of having it tip over... This was a worry of mine, because I heard some reviewers actually broke theirs because they opened them all the way, and they left it on the edge of a table or something. Then someone comes along and accidentally brushes up against it, and down it goes. Not smart.

My experience is that the weight balance is fine. I don't think it will tip over very easily up to about 120 degrees. Past that, yes, it's definitely unstable. But actually, that's as far as you can physically open it anyway. So long as you're on an even surface, no problem. But if you're like me, you might want to sit down and use it on your lap. That's where you might have to be a bit more careful about it. Suddenly shifting your legs might tip it over. It's not a big deal, though. You'll be able to feel its balance before it ever tips over.

Ports... There's a full SD card slot and a full USB 2.0 slot as well as a 40 pin pass-through connector. These are very welcome additions. Some people may not be aware of this, but the USB slot is a "host-mode" slot. That means you can actually plug in things like keyboards, mice, cell-phone modems, wireless keyboard dongles, ethernet-over-USB adapters, or even the Playstation controller, and it will just automatically recognize it and knows what to do with it. That's just such a nice feature. A lot of tablets just have a micro-USB port without the host-mode capability.

The only thing I'd like to see added to the keyboard dock is maybe one more USB port so that it can power external CD ROM drives and such - they typically use one USB connection for data and another one for power at the same time. And maybe I'd like to see the next generation of these keyboards use the newer, faster USB 3.0 standard instead.

The level of "integration" with the tablet was a pleasant surprise to me. They really thought about it and gave it the feel of an actual laptop. When the tablet is docked with the keyboard, you can close it (physically), and just like a laptop, it will cause the screen to turn off automatically. That puts it into power saving sleep mode also. Open it back up, and the screen turns on again, and it comes out of sleep mode, instantly. Also, you can connect the power cord to the dock's 40 pin connector, and that will charge the tablet and the keyboard at the same time. In other words, you don't need to take the tablet out of the dock and charge it separately. Pretty nice features. It really does feel like a laptop. They did a great job with it.

One more thing I wanted to mention before I wrap things up. The actual dock part of the keyboard dock is pretty stiff. It takes effort to rotate the dock at first, manually. When I first got this keyboard dock, it was in the closed position, and so I tried to just grab the dock and rotate it into the open position using just my fingers. But it wouldn't budge. I was scared to use more force to open it, thinking I was going to break it or something. So I looked it up on the web and found that others had the same question. As it turns out, it's supposed to be this stiff. And yes you just need to add more muscle to move it initially. And then you can put your tablet into it and move it just fine from that point on. But initially it is a little scary and confusing.

Alright, that just about covers it. I'm pretty happy with this purchase. But I do think they ought to lower the price to match the original Prime dock's price, and I think they will eventually. For $100, it's perfectly reasonable. Some people may still question that price, but keep in mind you're getting a decent battery boost in addition to the solidly designed keyboard and full "laptop-like" integration with the tablet. I think it's totally worth it. For $150, it does make it harder to justify getting this instead of the original TF201 Prime dock. But like I said in my review, I still think it's the best dock to use with the Infinity tablet.

Hope that helps!
4242 comments| 313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2012
Well I have waited for weeks so I could get the tablet dock amazon had to sell and it is finally here. I have to say it is not everything I expected. That is because it has the FCC sticker indicating TF201 and the firmware does the same. That said, I tested my infinity on a 201 dock and it didn't work right, and on this dock it is working flawlessly. In addition, the color matches, the weight distribution is good, and I'm having zero issues typing on it. The battery life is phenomenal and the seating of the tablet has no issues worth noting.

I am of course extremely disappointed that I could have ordered from any of the other sellers on here and gotten the same product weeks ago for less cash, but I got what I wanted and as of yet am very satisfied with it. I do think it was pretty crappy of Asus to reformat and sell the 201 docks as 700 docks, but at least if it stops working, I'll have ground to stand on against Asus (not that I expect it to stop working).

I can't recommend the dock enough. If you bought a transformer you should buy the dock as well, it completely changes the experience of using an android tablet. Just yesterday a coworker asked why I bought a netbook when I already had a tablet. I asked him how many netbooks have a removable touch screen display and it was awe-inducing. A great exprience overall.

Very satisfied!

UPDATE: Tested side by side with my Brother's Transformer Prime and I can confirm that the weight distribution/balancing is remarkably different from the Primes dock. I am absolutely certain that this is a TF700 dock regardless of the firmware name.
55 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2012
So, I got one of these, typing this review on it. It fits nicely, easy to use and install. The main reason for me to buy this is to have a convenient screen cover for traveling to avoid having to install one of those rather thick leather covers. For that purpose, it is very well suited, it's metal and protects the screen very nicely, makes a good, handy package to carry around and is thinner than some of the leather covers. The top row of function keys covers most common functions, such as volume, mute, player control, screen brightness etc. And the added battery life, USB and SDcard ports are certainly useful.

One major design flaw, and this is in contrast to what some others stated here, the keyboard/tablet combination is NOT balanced well at all. In fact, if you lift the keyboard up by only 3/4 inch, it will fall over backwards, if the screen is all the way tilted back. What makes this worse is that pushing on the screen can also wobble or topple it, unless you hold down the keyboard to counter the motion. And tilting the tablet all the way back is necessary, because even in the most backward position, the viewing angle is still not straight on, unless you have the device no more than one foot below eye level. If you have this on your lap, it's about 1.5-2 ft away from your eyes, more on some desks or tables.

The other major design flaw is that the tablet no longer goes into portrait mode when docked, i.e., you cannot stand this upright on the corner to display something in portrait mode, which would make a nice photo display. Probably intended (why?), but a major oversight, I think.

A few minor things that are missing: a HOME and END key to jump to the start and end of a line, which now makes sense, because you bought this to type longer texts on it. Also, but that may be more of an Android shortcoming, the common CTRL-left and right does not jump one word and the control button in general does not provide common functions (e.g., pressing CTRL-ENTER in the browser location bar to add www and .com). A scrolling function on the mouse pad would be nice, too, but is easily substituted by using your fingers to scroll the screen. One other thing that is missing is a key to call up the currently running apps - the dual window softkey you find on the tablet itself next to the home key.

As for usability, typing on this keyboard and using it needs some getting used to. After a few hours of use, I still have a lot of typing errors, mostly based on lack of response from the keys when not hit centered. Also, mentally, you are thinking laptop when you type on a keyboard and it took me a while to actually switch to a hybrid operation by using the touch screen to scroll and call up some functions. Finally, the cursor keys are just one key too far right, I keep hitting the CTRL key instead of the left arrow. Minor usability stuff, but it works well, otherwise.
on May 10, 2014
I know that there have been a lot of complaints and low scores by eople that have received the wrong keyboard (whether is was because they ordred the wrong one or if it is a packaging error on the fault of Asus) but those low scores should be tossed out because THEY WERE REVIEWING THE WRONG DOCK!!

I immediately fell in love with mine to the point that I keep it permenntly attached to the tablet and take full advantage of the extra battery life as well as the SD card slot for extra storage & a USB port, both of which can be used for easiy transferring large files (movies) and pictures from my laptop to the tablet of visa versa. I even use the USB port for charging my Sony smart watch!

The only thing that I wish the dock had was a spell corrector or word completer (similar to Swiftkey keyboard in the Google Playstore) built into the driver that you are forced to use with the keyboard plugged in.

There have aso been complaints about the keys being too small but I have rather large hands (I wear men's XL gloves) and, as you can tell, have no problems using the keybord at all. If those folks were to think about it for a second, the reason why the keys are the size they are is because ASUS had to make the dock THE SAME WIDTH AS THE TABLET!! DUH!! At least you get a a responsive touch pad (which you can togle on and off), a dedicated row for numbers and symbols as well as still another row for Android specific keys for toggeling things on and off, taking screen shots, etc.

Over the last 10 years I have written and published countless reviews for PDA and smart phone accessories and, while this the tablet is neither of those, this dock is by far the best accessory that I have ever used for a device.
on October 15, 2012
I love my dock for my Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T. I use it most of the time (basically for everything except playing games). The combination of keyboard, extra battery, trackpad, SD card slot, and USB port make it extremely versatile. To top it off, it connects to the tablet and becomes a terrific screen protector when closed.
I have little trouble with the keyboard (which I'm using to type this review). The only time I even notice the smaller size is when I go from a regular keyboard straight to this one. The only quirk I've noticed with it is that the backspace key occasionally doesn't work in the stock Android browser, but it hasn't occurred often enough to bother me.
The biggest advantage that I see is the battery. The extended battery life is one of the main reasons that I use it so often. I just wish that it would draw from the dock first until its supply has been used up, then switch to the tablet's internal battery, instead of switching back and forth. I'm worried that the continual charge/discharge cycles will shorten the battery lifespan. Nevertheless, it has worked well so far.
The addition of a USB port and a full-sized SD card are very handy for transferring files. The microSD card in the tablet works, but it's simpler to use a USB drive to transfer files between tablet and computer.
I don't use the trackpad very often, but I'm glad it is there. Android is designed to be touchscreen friendly, but there are still times when it is much easier to click with a mouse than to tap with a finger (think navigating pages of a website).
I feel that the dock is a great addition to the TF700T tablet. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially if you are looking for something to replace a laptop. I think ~$150 is a tad high for an accesory to provide convenience, but if the price drops to ~$100, it will be a must have accesory.

** Update 3/14/2014
I still love this keyboard, but I have had one problem with it. It no longer latches properly to the tablet, allowing the tablet to slide out. Everything still works fine, including the battery (it's lifespan, as well as the tablet battery's lifespan) doesn't seem to have been dramatically affected by the charge/discharge cycles.
on December 27, 2014
Excellent keyboard for tablet that adds USB port and full size SD expandability, includes an additional battery to increase total table run time. Keyboard is very useable for touch typists despite slightly smaller key spacing. Touch pad and mouse has left click ability although some users including me turn off the touch pad due to false "touches" when your palm touches the pad when typing. This is done with the key direclty above the #3 key. I have two of these keypads as well as two TF-700s. i use them for two main purposes....running telescopes wirelessly via Sky Safari.. Asus is the only Android tablet of the 'BIG GUYS' that have ad hoc wireless capabiiity. The other brands have wireless but lock out ad hoc which means Sky Safari won't run wirelessly. Apple Ipads also have working ad hoc wireless so they are the only other ones that run that program. I am also a musician and play all my performances from sheet music on the tablet. Both of these applications have been fantastic and not wanting to suffer a catastrophy like broken, lost, crashes, etc. tablets I bought a second TF 700 and keyboard. Both have been trouble free....just like the earlier model 102 and 300 I owned. Only updated for newer feature. Bought he first setup when they first came out and the second about 2 months ago. One thing you need to know.....when you first get the keyboard the battery may be flat and non-responsive even when plugged in at first. Just leave it plugged in until it finally reaches full charge and you will be good to go. While not perfect....the ASUS is a cool concept...HI DEF 1080 video, high mp camera, exandability is outstanding and the USB port allows me to connect a USB external HD that is shared with my regular Widows 7 laptop for swapping files back and forth. It can read and write in Word, Excel, Power point format in limited mode and apps are plentiful and equal to Apple in most times. One word of caution. When connecting the tablet/keyboard make sure the slide lock is all the way to the left and of course when opening make sure you move the slide lock and hold it to the left. I know of one guy that got impatient and forced his snapping off the lock pins. It still worked fine but wouldn't lock solid in one piece.
on December 18, 2014
Overall, the keyboard is a very helpful addition to the TF700 tablet, and gives it enough protection that I can carry it in a large shoulder purse without worrying about it getting damaged.

When I am docked, I always keep its touchpad turned off. Otherwise I get all sorts of issues from touching it while typing.
The keys are sufficiently large to allow comfortable typing.

On the negative side, the dock has several serious weaknesses. The most serious is that the docking mechanism is poorly thought out.
It is tricky to align exactly. There are small arrows on the dock and tablet that can help, but they are difficult to see in anything less than bright room light. If you try to dock without the correct alignment, it is very common that the plastic tabs on the tablet where it docks will break. After that, the dock will be loose. (note that it is possible to fix with a carefully placed dab of JB Weld). I also had a problem with the dock hinge bracket becoming deformed/widened. That allowed the tablet to have too much play on the connector, resulting in the touch screen on the tablet not working correctly. With a lot of persistence and wasted time trying to "debug" the issue, I found a tolerable, solution: A couple of 2-inch strips of Velcro fuzzy side behind each metal hinge connector tightened the fit enough to fix the problem.

For the price we pay for these docks, they should be of much higher quality than they are. (The same can be said for the tablet, IMHO.)

They get 3 stars for being useful and relatively comfortable to use, the additional power, and the protection they offer, but no higher, because thy are poorly designed and the docking is not durable.
on January 9, 2014
I bought the tablet and dock a while, and am just now posting a review since I'm getting rid of it. The dock was a large part of the reason I got the Transformer, but unfortunately it ended up being the worst part of the Transformer.

Now that I'm reading the reviews, I did realize I received the TF201 dock stickered to say it's compatible with the TF700. Apparently Asus was trying to clear out old inventory.

The connection between the dock and tablet was flimsy at best - it would lose connection regularly, especially if I tilted the hinge. The power would stay connected, but the keyboard and touchpad would stop working. Since the on-screen keyboard won't come up if the dock is connected, the only way to type anything would be to disconnect and reconnect the tablet. Having to do this every five minutes made the dock worthless.

Even when the keyboard was working, it wasn't very good. I've used tiny keyboards before, including on an Asus Eee PC, but this one was just that much worse to type on. I'm not exactly sure why - might be the layout - but I could never get used to it.

The dock does work well as a screen protector and external battery, but for the price I would expect much more.

Unfortunately, after my experience with the dock and the tablet itself, I'm not very keen on Asus's quality control and business practices anymore. I'll probably stay away from their products in the future.
on June 21, 2013
Be aware that the product being sold is model AD01 and not the TF700T dock. Asus customer support will verify this by serial number and recommend you get the tf700t-dock-gr. Dont buy this if you want the tf700t dock to go with your tf700t tablet.

The problem is that Amazon is advertising both the AD01 model in the description and the tf700t model number in a later description. Make sure if you want the tf700t model you call Amazon support to include that model in a note to the seller. I am not even sure if that will work, i will find out when it arrives. BUYER BEWARE, and contact Asus support to determine the exact model via your serial number rather than the seller's word.

**Edited 6-24-13**
Recieved my replacement today and the P/N confirms the TF700T-DOCK-GR. This is the correct dock and it fits the locking mechanism much better than the AD01 model. I would recommend contacting customer service and having them place a note on the order to only ship the TF700T-DOCK-GR. It works great and I am very happy to have purchased this item now. Ranked the rating up to 5 stars for the product itself and will not lower the rating because of an inaccurate amazon listing.
on April 15, 2013
Let me first start off by saying I have bought many items on amazon and some did not function the way I had hoped. But this is my first review I felt compelled to write. If you are considering purchasing this dock for your infinity tablet do so with the understanding that not only will you spend a bill and a half for this dock to type with but also a perfect device to ruin your near $500 tablet! After only two months of use I realized my tablet wasn't fitting the dock as it did when first puchased. As I started investigating as to the reason why I relized the dock has bent the entire edge of the tablet at the points of which it secures itself. Just to be clear I'm not talking about a little warping but rather one more docking away from cracking the entire screen of my tablet. I cannot for the life of me understand as to why this product still has a 4 star rating as I surely cannot be the only consumer with this problem. At this time I would like to personally thank asus for robbing my hard earned dollars. This product I have wrote this review about will be the last asus product I will ever purchase and you can count on me not only to not refer an asus product to anyone ever but rather badmouth your "persistent perfection" any opportunity I encounter. Thanks for the $150 paper weight.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.