BCA Month Salon Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

ASUS VE228H 21.5" Full HD 1920x1080 HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor
Size: 21.5-Inch|Style: HDMI, DVI, VGA|Change

on December 6, 2012
This is the third monitor I have used with my new computer, which was purchased in late November, 2012. I confess, that at best, I'm a simple man and not a techie, so I wanted a good monitor for my simple means. I use Photoshop, read and create a lot of documents, play some games, and watch YouTube, as well as the occasional DVD on this computer. For these uses, this monitor ranks far above what I really need, but at least by having this now, I have some room to grow with as my needs change. Granted, I don't know enough to be as nit picky as some people are, but I can attest to this, based on the other two monitors I tested, this has so far proved to be a solid, superior monitor.

PROS:
It has a 2ms response time. This pretty much eliminates blur on fast action videos and games. BUT, you need to have a fast graphics card as well for fast response time.

The screen is matte / non-glare. This was crucial for my needs.

My eyesight isn't all that great even with my glasses, but I can say that this monitor is very crisp and clear. I no longer have to hunch forward to read fuzzy lettering.

It has various inputs, VGA, DVI, HDMI, so this will work with older computers, as well as the newest ones.

There is an option for the monitor's photo sensor to recognize the light of the room, and adjust itself accordingly. Note: This option has to be selected in the menu.

This monitor allows for Picture In Picture. I don't have a use for it, but some of you may desire this feature.

The cords can be routed through the arm of the base which will make everything look more tidy.

It has a VESA mount, so if you want to attach an upgraded monitor stand or wall mount, you can.

It arrived in perfect condition. No dead pixels, no scratches, no worries.

IT HAS A 3 YEAR WARRANTY! This was a high sell point for me.

CONS:
The menu for adjusting the screen is less than helpful, but some trial and error will eventually get you to change the settings if you need to. Personally, I just had to turn down the brightness, and that was good enough for me.

It does NOT come with a manual or an installation CD. Sometimes the CD will include the manual, but again, you don't even get the disc. However, you can download the manual from their website. After doing so, the only useful thing I got out of that was learning how to navigate through the menu buttons.

MY BOTTOM LINE: In my humble opinion, I have to say that this monitor is of superb quality to the average / above average consumer. As I said before, this was the third monitor for my computer, and it would seem that 3rd time was the charm.

Thank you for reading this review, and I hope it was of help to you. If so, please click the "YES" tab so that Amazon and I will know that at least I did something which was of use to someone else. And if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask me. I don't know much, but what I do know I'll be happy to share with others.
33 comments| 635 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2010
I've been shopping around for a new monitor for quite some time. I always do my research before making a purchase, and it was no different with this monitor.

Having been a past ASUS component owner who is impressed with the quality and innovation in their products, I ended up searching around for quite a while only to come back to them.

I started out with quite a list of features I was looking for in a monitor, and I wasn't sure I could find any monitor that could satisfy the list of essential features. But then I found the VE278Q.

The monitor has everything I wanted in a top of the line monitor, and it delivers in every way exceptionally well. I'll do a pros and cons list first, then round this out with more info:

PROS:
+Excellent color quality - very rich and accurate color when calibrated.
+Super fast - no ghosting.
+Even lighting - no backlight bleeding.
+Wide range of input options, and audio options.
+Very bright, instant on with no warm up time, and outstanding contrast.
+Solid range of adjustments, video modes, and display capabilities.
+Anti-glare coating removes nearly all glare.
+Price is low for such quality monitor.
+No dead pixels.
+Very good max viewing angles with minimal color distortion
+Decent internal speakers that don't waste visible space if you don't need them.

CONS:
-I can't really think of any

RATING:
VALUE: 10
FEATURES: 10
SETTINGS: 9
QUALITY: 10
DESIGN: 10
OVERALL: 9.8

ADDITIONAL INFO:

**** Input options:

HDMI, Display Port, DVI, and RGB inputs - an outstanding range of input options. It also has a stereo audio input that will output sound from the internal speakers, which I might add aren't half bad for a display thats so thin. They don't have much distortion even at max volume (which is pleasingly loud), and thanks to internal Bass and Treble settings you can make them sound pretty good, though still not as good as a dedicated desktop system. I didn't expect much from them, but I was surprised. There is also a line out jack that works wonders for HDMI content. I currently have audio coming from my PS3 (along with 1080P video) in a different room through an HDMI splitter into this monitor, going out the line out on the monitor and into the line in on my PC, which then outputs the sound to my high quality desktop speakers that are connected to my PC (this lets me share audio between the two). The way it handles HDMI audio is a truly outstanding bonus, and it really made this monitor far more useful to me as a secondary display for my other HDMI entertainment devices.

**** Video options:

The display features customizable "Splendid" picture modes (5 total, with sRGB being raw, and non-configurable), sharpness adjustment, "Trace Free" which attempts to remove any additional ghosting as far as I can tell, and ASCR (ASUS Super Contrast Ratio) which is available as an option for all display modes except sRGB and "Standard", and AI Light which adjusts the back light to a balanced level with the room lighting.

Of those options I use the following settings. I set Sharpness down from 50 to 40 to give the display a nice smooth look for reading text, and it works very well, since the display is otherwise one of the sharpest I have seen. I set "Trace Free" to 0, since with a 2ms response time, ghosting is essentially nonexistent (this monitor is fast!). I leave ASCR on, since it really does do an amazing thing for gaming - the display can literally go pitch black when a dark scene is on the screen, and then within 1-2 seconds ramp up to eye burning max brightness when needed. AI Light works great, but it should be noted that it is only available when ASCR is disabled, since both cause adjustment of the LED lighting.

The monitor has no gamma adjustment, but it does feature custom color temperature settings with an R/G/B adjustment menu along with some presets (Cool/Normal/Warm). My current settings for R/G/B are R: 83, G: 76, B: 69 to make it match the calibrated output tone of my top of the line theater projector. I set color to 43 for all modes to prevent clipping, and contrast to 67 to keep color tone balance consistent across the entire grayscale, and again prevent clipping. It looks very, very nice with a bit of adjustment. Uncharacteristically warm for an LCD, in a good way. I've always been a fan of the warm, smooth, fast look of CRT's. This monitor is the first one I've seen that I could say matches and exceeds all of those characteristics.

**** More features:

Picture in picture works excellent, allowing you to move the smaller image window and change its size. You can have picture in picture from one of the other inputs that you aren't currently using as a primary for the entire screen. Audio tone adjustments allow you to make audio from the internal speakers sound pretty great for internal speakers in my opinion, and if nothing else they give you some freedom to tweak the sound coming from your HDMI line thats coming out to your speakers or headphones. The buttons on the bottom of the display are hidden well, which I like, and offer quick access to PIP, backlight brightness, speaker volume, input, and Splendid modes. Overall I love the ease of access and the audio/video features of this monitor. Its uncommon to find many of these features in a PC oriented display.

**** Design/quality:

The design of the monitor is very nice. I love that the screen is antiglare, and the entire monitor is glossy. It really makes the image look raw and undisturbed in contrast to the glossy exterior. Its great. The backlighting is extremely bright if you want it to be, instantly lit with no warm up, has a very neutral color tone (I expected the typical LED blue hue), and lights the screen very evenly without any bleeding at the edges. It also makes little to no heat, no hum, and shouldn't dim over time like traditional CCFL panels. The display controls are hidden pretty well, but are easy to access when needed. The speakers output audio from grills on the top of the monitor, and sound pretty decent. The AI Light sensor sits at the top of the monitor between the two speakers. The base is very sturdy and actually looks pretty nice. It has as much tilt range as I've found myself needing. The monitor has well placed 100mm x 100mm VESA mount holes as well, which I plan to utilize very soon.

OTHER NOTES:

+Gamma was hard to pin down to 2.2, since out of the box it sits at about 1.8 (This could be related to my default ICC profile, as there is no driver disk with the monitor).

+Yellow push was visible in skin tones out of the box, though there is a skin tone setting to adjust around this a bit (This could also be related to my monitor ICC profile).

+I loved this monitor so much that as soon as I used it for a week, I purchased a second one. If there are noticeable differences between both monitors I will make note of it here.

UPDATE - December 9th, 2010:

As noted above, I have returned to report if there were any differences between the first VE278Q and the second one that just arrived today. I'm very pleased to say that they are visibly identical in all but completely black scenes (there is a slightly different spread on the back lighting between them). The color tone is within 100K of the original at the same settings. There are again, no dead/stuck pixels or sub pixels. Call me impressed. With extended desktop between these two identical monitors, I now have an outstanding work station. Hope this review helps others! If Amazon gets some more of these in, I may get one more for my other desktop - these are too good to pass up.
2525 comments| 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2015
Man, where to start with this thing?

Well, first of all, let me start with the good, as there is very little bad. I wanted a monitor mainly since they were less expensive than a TV and would do the same things I wanted a TV to do. Mainly I use this to play Xbox next to my bed, as well as watch Netflix, and it has been a great experience so far!

Let me cover a few things about it before I get on the pros and cons.

This monitor is by no means a top-quality 600 dollar Sony 4k display, but for a price around or below 150 dollars? This thing is perfect. Whether you are building a PC and need a single (or double) display to work or game, or if you are like me and want a monitor to play console games, this works great. I would however, NOT use this as a 'living room' TV, even if you could hook up a cable box to your Xbox to do so. The monitor simply isn't big enough to serve as a TV. Ideally this is best when at a desk or next to a bed. The furthest I watched this from was about 10 feet away, and it was hard to even read anything on the screen with my glasses on. So the view angles aren't to spectacular. This display is a monitor to the core, even if it has an LED display. This does also have built in speakers, but they are nothing to go crazy about. If you want to listen to music on your computer, please buy speakers. The built in Stereo speakers are 'tinny' and sound like its coming out of a metallic can.

Anyway, lets get to the pros and cons.

Pros:
- Small, portable, nice and wide when you are close. (Double edge sword)
- Comes easy to install with a stand that requires no tools to put up.
- Yes, this can be mounted! It has a VESA Connector, 100x100
- Nice colors and good customization.
- All buttons but the power button has a satisfying "Click".
- Nice arsenal of connections/ports.
- Looks very nice close up.

Cons:
- Small, can't see from far away, can really only serve as a 'monitor' rather than a 'TV'
- Awkward viewing angles
- Ports are located awkwardly, especially the headphone jack
- Speakers are honestly terrible, plug in some (long) headphones
- The piano black finish will suck your fingerprints from a mile away
- Mail-in rebate is basically a free meal at Mcdonalds, not really worth doing.

Overall this is a great monitor, if you are on a budget, you should strongly consider this one.
review image
on November 25, 2016
This monitor arrived relatively quickly and in perfect condition. I connected it to my computer right away - it powered right up without a hitch. I haven't had time to adjust the color settings, but it's not so awful that I'm in a big hurry to anyway. It's just nice to have a large monitory that I don't have to get so close to the screen to see small things or read small print. I can actually sit up straight in my chair instead of having to lean forward all the time!

The picture is clear and sharp - even when connected via onboard, generic vga display adapter port!

The controls are a little cumbersome, but the setup manual has a guide to use to navigate through the settings.

Someone, somewhere in this review section, posted a list of preferred settings... I think I might cheat and go find that comment and see how those settings work for my tastes... and maybe tweak it up from there, depending how it looks.
on May 18, 2016
I've had this monitor for over 5 years. I bought this in college when I was tired of the 1280x800 display on my laptop. Let me tell ya: If you're a computer science student, even one more monitor helps. It's survived the years and hasn't diminished in quality. Now it's going to be replaced as my main monitor with a 1440p 144hz monitor.

So onto the review. The display is decent. It does have a warm display. Warm enough that some blues look a bit purple. However that is correctable by adjusting the settings on your ICC profile or display itself. It also has impressive angles for a small and cheap TFT monitor. Response time is OK, good for gaming. For $150 bucks it was a bargain, but it's sunk to $110 now and it's a pretty good deal.

Some negatives: the negative that stuck out for me is it can't rotate to portrait mode. This is nice for coding, so it not able to do that is kind of a downer. I have already mentioned the color not being very accurate but it is good enough, especially at this price. The one watt speakers aren't that great; I'd recommend some decent satellite or bookshelf speakers if you don't have any. But who buys a computer monitor for audio? Also, it's kinda small at 21.5 inches. I'd recommend a bigger model around 23 or 24 inches, but it isn't a deal breaker either.

Overall, it's a four stars for me. I haven't looked at other monitors so shop around and maybe aim at decent and larger IPS panels, but you aren't going to be upset with purchasing this monitor.
Very bright, no dead pixels. VERY bright. Almost too bright. No artifacting or bleeding on my gaming. 2ms is perfect. The price is right for this monitor. Excellent gaming monitor. Not too big, so you don't have to swivel your head back and forth to see the entire screen. But big enough to see the details you want.

I play world of tanks, warships, fallout 4, skyrim, arc survival... all look fabulous. The brightness is VERY nice on the darker games, like skyrim and fallout 4 when the settings are right.
on July 31, 2015
WINDOWS 10: I've had this monitor for 2 years now and never had a problem. I would give it 5 stars, but had to drop one today after installing Windows 10. Here is why: I purchased this monitor specifically because of the monitor size (not too big, not too small) and that it had built in speakers via HDMI connection. I am using it with a Surface Pro 1 connected from the mini DisplayPort (with audio) connection to HDMI on the monitor. Today I updated my computer to Windows 10 and the sound stopped working from the monitor. Windows Device Manager doesn't recognize the audio hardware anymore (it did in Windows 8/8.1). I contacted ASUS support about this issue. Even though they produce drivers for Windows 8/8.1 for this monitor and make them available on their website, ASUS basically told me it's up to Microsoft to update the OS for this issue. So, if you're getting this monitor and are going to connect it to a Windows 10 computer, be aware that the sound may not work for you via HDMI connection. The display works fine via mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI in Windows 8/8.1/10 (recognized as ASUS VE228H monitor in device manager in Windows 8/8.1, generic PnP monitor in device manager in Windows 10).
on March 7, 2016
I got this to be a replacement gaming monitor after my old TV died and it was a great choice. The 2ms response time is wonderful to see as well as the great color quality of the monitor. Along side that I use it as a second monitor for my laptop when I do projects that I need more screen space than my 17" laptop can hold. The 27" is a wonderful size that works well for the 1080p quality

Pros
-DVI, HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort Inputs. Plus audio inputs.
-Wonderful menu system
-Immediate standby mode. No single will turn the monitor off in seconds.
-Picture in picture works great if you ever need it.
-Speaks have great audio quality

Cons
-Only 1 HDMI In. You will need a HDMI switcher if you have multiple HDMI devices and you don't want to convert to another medium such as DVI.
-[Minor Con] To adjust the monitor, you need to put some force into it when you try and tilt it. It may feel like you will break it, but the pivot area is made of metal, not plastic and you will be fine. Once you adjust it once, it adjusts without struggle from then on out. Only the first time requires force. [With mine at least. results could vary]
on March 5, 2017
I'm giving this monitor a 4-star rating for the time being, since I now have two working monitors. I had to send the first two back, since one had multiple dead pixels on several different parts of the screen and the other had a horizontal line of dead pixels. Amazon's return process was flawless as usual, and both replacement monitors are perfect. Just make sure to check these out when you unbox just to make sure there aren't any dead spots or flaws.
on January 19, 2016
I just set this up yesterday and I am very disappointed. I use this as a second monitor with a Linux laptop. I had another, even cheaper Asus monitor attached, which was excellent. I wanted to move to a HDMI capable monitor though because the laptop has an HDMI port only - the earlier monitor needed a converter which was always dicey. So I bought this one because i had liked the earlier Asus monitor so much. But this one is nowhere near as nice. The colors are washed out and I can't get a true black. I can compare blacks on the laptop screen and the monitor screen, and see the difference clearly - what is true black on the laptop screen is a kind of washed out purple on the monitor. I have played and played with the awful controls, and nothing helps. Right now I am in Splendid Demo mode which puts a message on top and shows my screen half one way, half another. I prefer the Splendid ON side of the screen, but i can't figure out how to enable it for the entire screen. Everything on the web just says how to turn Splendid Demo off. I want the Splendid Demo settings, but on the ENTIRE screen, not just one half. Grrrr, I hate washed out fuzzy monitors.