Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 5, 2015
Most reviews of a product will happen within the first week or two the product has been received, but this review is about the long term durability of this laptop so I'm writing it a year after my purchase. I got this laptop about a 1 year and 4 months ago and it arrived with the disc tray plastic covering (the thing you push to get the tray to open) hanging out separately in the box. That should have been a red-flag for me about the durability of this product, but because I was in need of a new computer and I was able to Macgyver the tray back on to the laptop I let it slide. About a month later I noticed that the battery was always coming loose when I would take it out the laptop bag, I figured out that was because the right battery lock wasn't snapping back into place and would with the slightest brush of my finger end up locked in the open position. Again, because some caution and delicateness on my avoided this issue I let it slide. Over the next few months more and more issues have popped up and over a relatively short amount of time this laptop has just fallen apart under normal conditions that any laptop would experience. I'll open up my laptop to find that screws are randomly missing from the back of it. The harddrive will just shut down of its own accord at times. The straw that broke the camel's back and has led me to post this review is that one of the monitor hinges broke recently. Just slightly such that the laptop still works, but enough so that I think it has led to the screen flickering whenever I move it at all now. This is just a warning to anyone who might see this laptop and be considering purchasing because of the price. Please hold off on buying this or any other ASUS products. They really are not durable at all. I had a Toshiba Satellite laptop for 4 years that I literally took everywhere with me. It only broke after 4 years because of a freak accident. I have a friend that had the same laptop and did his best to avoid taking it with him anywhere and it's lasted him 6 years now. That's really besides the point though. The point of a laptop is portability and to be portable a laptop has to be lightish, have a decent battery life, and be durable. Unfortunately this laptop has really failed the last part of this test. I'm going to try and get this thing returned as part of my credit card's extended warranty, but I'm probably out of ~$600 and in the market for another laptop after only 1.5 years.

To throw in a kinda-positive word for this product. If you do want a semi-powerful laptop that runs smoothly and can be bought for a bargain, but you only want to use it for ~ 1.5 years then you should get it. Otherwise buyer beware.
on October 23, 2013
Overall I like the computer but the track pad is so sensitive that by merely resting my left wrist on the computer - it swishes the window that I am working on away and I have to search for it. Windows 8 is probably the biggest issue as it is a totally unintuitive operating system and requires extra steps for simple functions. You have to completely exit a document just to save it. And while I understand this is not the computer itself, it is what is running the computer.

It is not too heavy and the screen size is great. It seems to charge pretty quickly and works well, so far.
on November 30, 2016
I had bad luck with computers for a long time, having a hp melt its own mother board after about 18 months and a Toshiba self destruct in a similar amount of time this one is still going strong after 3 years so im happy!
on September 27, 2013
The computer is ok, but the touch pad is a huge problem for me. It is too sensitive or doesn't work right. I also had a windows update problem where it would take forever to restart because of updating. The pc works fine when you plug a mouse in it.
on January 28, 2014
I love the weight, dimensions, and unique case design of this laptop. Excellent monitor clarity and superb laptop speakers (who would have thought possible). I haven't tested the performance capacity, but have yet to encounter any slowing down while running several applications/music/etc. ASUS has risen above the rest.
on October 22, 2013
So far this computer works great and I haven't had any problems. I was not familiar with windows 8 so it took me a while to some technical stuff out, like how to turn it off or find the document folder. All the apps have been great to play with when I'm bored. I play some computer games and the resolution on them are excellent.
on September 10, 2013
Love this computer! It's portable and light. Love Windows 8. My only dislike (but it's livable) is sometimes the mouse is extra sensitive but its only occasionally and doesn't bother me that much! Great battery life.
on September 9, 2013
The laptop was good but it auto close when I go to skype. The sound was good and it really instant on my pc. Cons is only 2 usb port is available. I am really in love with this laptop despite the screen is 15.6 inches. IF you want a pc for basic use, this laptop is suitable for you.
on November 8, 2013
This computer runs so much more smoothly than my Acer EVER did! My only complaint is that it has Windows 8 which I HATE! I will likely be putting 7 on soon. The sound is decent and and videos have not been choppy at all. I'm not regretting this choice :)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 17, 2016
Still working great 3 years later!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.