Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
To have the skill to bake and cook well is a joy. To know the people who cook and bake so well they have wrtten several cookbooks is even more wonderful. The Blanchards have been an "Upper Valley" treasure for years. They first started out with Blanchard and Blanchard Salad Dressings, and were the first to mix herbs and unusual ingredients into delicious salad dressings.
Mel and Robert Blanchard live in Norwich, Vermont and have a restaurant in Anguilla. Mel is not an educated chef, but a born and bred true cook. Her recipes are simple and so good. Cheddar Cheese soup, cheese and onion bake (tastes like the topping on french onion soup, and is used as a side dish for their New England Thanksgiving on Anguilla) One of the most delicious and unusual recipes is Vermont Picnic Ham with dark beer. Scrambled eggs with herb cheese and chives, surrounded by roasted small tomatoes is mouth watering. Pair that with peach, coconut breakfast bread and you have the makings of a scrumptious brunch.
The Blanchards use simple ingredients because much of what they make must be flown into Anguilla. They use the fruits and vegetables native to Anguilla. At the heart of their cooking continues the use of herbs, fresh and dried. Each recipe is unusual and can be made at any time. None of the ingredients are seasonal or that unusual. Their particular blending of the herbs and other ingredients, however, give their cooking 5 star quality. I recommend this cookbook for anyone, and it will be under the Christmas tree of many of my friends and family. Can't wait to get back to that ham. prisrob
on February 14, 2016
Our favorite restaurant(s) in Anguilla... and now we can make their recipes at home to have a taste of our piece of heaven whenever we want. We've made the Caribbean Corn Bread, Jerk Chicken sandwiches and Island Rice with cumin and coconut (so far). We cannot wait to go back, but this will tide us over in the meantime :) We're goingredients to attempt my favorite dessert EVER, The Cracked Coconut tonight :)
on June 5, 2014
I have been slowly culling my cookbook collection over the past two years, because with everything online I just couldn't see justifying owning what I could pull up at my fingertips for free. I made an exception for the Blanchard's book however, not just because I am a fan of all of their books and their delightful tales of adventuring, but because I literally would make every recipe in this book on a regular basis. Delicious, simple and doable. Thank you, Bob and Melinda! I hope to one day visit your restaurants and taste the originals for myself.
on July 29, 2017
love the book.
on January 9, 2013
I read A Trip to the Beach, and was delighted that an occasional recipe would be included along with the story. Their experience is somewhat of a mental vacation in itself, it's easy to imagine the beauty of the island that they chose as their home. To add this cookbook was a great bonus, not only for it's recipes, but it was a pleasure to see the photos of the people that have become a part of the Blanchard's lives. I've only tried a couple recipes so far, but a must is the Very Intense Chocolate Slab. It's so simple, doesn't even involve baking, and is out of this world! Thank you to the Blanchards for this follow-up to their already enjoyable book! :)
on May 3, 2010
This is a perfect hostess gift. I gave this to three friends as a thank you for hosting a bridal shower for my future daughter-in-law. They all enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, but their response to this cookbook even surprised me. They loved the pictures and upon flipping through had already identified several recipes they couldn't wait to try. They had not seen this cookbook so it was nice to introduce them to something different. It has a caribbean theme to the recipes which gives this cookbook a nice twist. I was staying with one of my friends and wanted to thank her and her husband for their hospitality, I made one of the recipes out of the cookbook. Very easy and yummy. I am going to buy myself the same cookbook.
on September 30, 2006
I also own a lot of cookbooks. I love to read them. I checked this book out from the library, and it is the only one I have ever checked out for free that I wanted to pay for, not matter how much it cost. Wonderful tips on products, unpretentious - almost apologetic in tone because she didn't graduate from culinary school (neither did I! Perfect!), beautiful photography, many, many recipes I want to try. Sandwiches fillings that become dips that become sauces, terrific adaptation and suggestions. I am so glad to have this cookbook/story. It is an irresistable love story of food and hospitality. Makes me want to go to their restaurant in Anguilla - wherever that is..... At least I can eat and serve the food! Try it at your library and see. Delightful.
on November 2, 2014
We ordered this cook book after visiting Anguilla by boat, and reading the reviews on Amazon. It is truly an entertaining read, as well as a useful cookbook. We have tried over half of the recipes and have loved all of the outcomes - I can't say that about any other cookbooks we own. We are looking forward to visiting Anguilla again; just so we can eat at Blanchard's.
on March 25, 2016
Great cookbook.....had to have it after having a wonderful dinner at Blanchards the past February....
on January 23, 2017
Bought as a gift for a friend who loves the restaurant. She was thrilled.