- File Size: 3380 KB
- Print Length: 244 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Sci-Fi Bridge (March 28, 2017)
- Publication Date: March 28, 2017
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B06XT9VCJG
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #16,927 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
At the Helm: Volume 1: A Sci-Fi Bridge Anthology Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Most folks who read my reviews know that I am a perfectionist, and a hard man to impress. Well, I'm really impressed with this Anthology.
Rhett C. Bruno, who authored the anthology - and who founded the Sci-Fi Bridge - put together this collection. He is a new author to me, but Oh My! His This Long Vigil was without doubt one of the best short stories I have ever read in any genre. Mr. Bruno put this anthology together to bridge the gap between authors and readers, to give them a taste of some writers that they may not have read yet.
I'm getting ahead of myself: In many cases, particularly with an anthology, I read the Foreward to get the "libretto" if you will, to what the play will unfold like. In many cases it gives me the flavor of how the editors or authors viewed what the book is all about. Sometimes not, but in most cases it does. I loved Samuel Peralta's Foreward, and even if I were not a Star Trek fan, it sure got me excited about what I was about to read.
So, this is not one of those reviews where I am going through each story. Buy the book. You decide. This is one of those reviews where people like me need to know: Is it worth it? Do I invest the money to buy it? Will I like it? Will it keep me turning pages way too late into the night? Will I be on the edge of my seat? Will I be thinking about these stories LONG after I finish reading them? Will I find new authors that I just HAVE to read more of?
Yes. The answer to all of these questions is yes.
My hat is off to Mr. Bruno and Messrs. Peralta et al. These Authors, some of whom I know and love, really did a great job at putting together some kick butt stories! I think 2 or 3 of these stories I had already read, but I did not let that stop me. Partly to support the authors who need us to read their stories and share our reactions, partly to support the Sci-Fi Bridge, and mostly for my own greedy selfish need to read some really good S-F, I pushed the button.
I sucked this one down like a Hoover run amok.
I way, way exceeded my reading budget. I read at work, and I'm not just talking lunch break we're talking bathroom breaks here, on the bus, at home at night... I just inhaled it. It was that good. And now I want more of these authors, and I am getting more of them.
So. In summary: Was it worth it? This collection and these authors and stories so far exceeded my expectations that I have to give it 5 stars, I have to say emphatically yes, and I have to really start thinking about a too-much-reading intervention now.
Some of these authors, well, I would read anything that M. Pax or Jennifer Wells writes, but others I have not heard of or not had the chance to read yet.
What a diversity! a man born on a generational star ship who's only friend is an AI named Dan. A man who becomes an "aqua-man" and decides he likes it a lot. A robot caretaker watching all her friends and loved ones die on an alien planet with no hope of rescue. A man on a mission to kill a rogue AI that has taken over a space ship. A dog who loves his boy even after the zombie apocalypse. Jaded time travel secret agents. There is definitely something for everyone here, no question.
Short stories are one of the hardest types of writing to pull off, and these authors just so utterly nailed it... I hope I am getting some of my enthusiasm across in this review. Words on a screen can be so 2 dimensional.
There are very few books that I get this excited about. This is one of them. If there is one collection you are going to take a chance on this year when you are on the fence, it should be this one. Support the authors. Let them know you want more. Let them know it's worth it.
Get. This. Book.
At the end, you'll be glad for the adventure and hopefully will have found some great new authors to read further.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Anthologies
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonization
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Exploration
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Anthologies & Literature Collections
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonization
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Exploration