Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 106 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on July 24, 2013
I saw Dr Metzl speak at corporate event and he had great advice. I spent $13 on this book, and so far have increased the range of motion of my neck, improved plantar fasciitis, have my husband doing stretches to improve his IT band, and my father-in-law working on his ankle issues as well. Great to know how to prevent and heal those things that plague active people once they pass 30.
on July 26, 2012
I just received this book today and have been looking through it. Fortunately, I don't have an injury at present and so haven't put the book's information to use (yet), but I was very favorably impressed with the book's quality and design. It is organized into categories of areas of the body so that something like "knees, hips, ankles" are together (I don't have the book in front of me now so that may not be the exact category). The pages are color-coded by category. There are great illustrations, both of the body parts and of people doing the recommended recovery or prevention exercises. I liked the look and content of the book almost immediately. There were some injuries/body areas that are omitted for some reason and I think that is a "lack" in the book; the sacroiliac area comes to mind, an area of common injury or problems that can sideline an athlete. Another area that I thought was a big lack was no mention of toenail problems that occur in runners and other athletes. The author mentions ingrown toenails but not the blackened toenails that eventually come off, resulting from various kinds of exercise. Other omissions may come to light as I become more familiar with the book, but I don't know that yet. So far, I like the book and think it will be very useful. It is definitely user-friendly, clear and to the point, great illustrations and fairly comprehensive.
on April 5, 2012
When I received Dr. Metzl's book, as a gift from my husband, I truly enjoyed reading it and began exercising with a completely different perspective the very first weekend. The information is put together and communicated with such an ease to understand for anyone who wants to learn how to exercise efficiently, effectively and prevent injuries.
This book is absolutely brilliant. It is not a conglomeration of home remedies or what to use to rid yourself of cramps; what it is, however, is a book written by a distinguished physician who is extremely knowledgeable and readily shares his knowledge succinctly and clearly. The information will benefit athletes and people who might be considering exercise as part of their every day lives.
I was a competitive gymnast in my youth and have been exercising and running for the past 40 years. I have learned, from reading this book, that my warm-up routine was not efficient, sufficient or correct and how strengthening specific areas with specific exercises yields increased strength, success and enjoyment.
Dr. Metzl is a nationally recognized Sports Medicine Physician who has competed in 29 marathons and 9 ironman triathelete competitions. His simple and straightforward approach to strength and training allows the reader to reach his or her level of comfort and competitiveness while staying injury free. The results are an amazing book written by an amazing physician evenly applicable to the novice or competitor. MARCELA SPEERT
on June 25, 2012
I have been a patient of Dr Metzl since 2009 for my knee. I left my last appointment in tears thinking that my running days were coming to an end, but he recommended that I get his book and start the iron strength work out and foam roll the *BLEEP* out my leg. I have read it almost cover to cover, even sections that do not relate to my injury. I've got to say, it really does help! I haven't had knee pain in a long time! And I really don't predict any pain in my future if I stay committed to this plan.

This book has it all, it covers practically ALL injuries, nutrition, stretches, strength training, what SPORTS BRA to buy, and so forth. I have recommended it to so many people -- my father, a swimmer-friend, a friend training for a marathon, and they all have found it to be very helpful. BUUUT -- you need to commit to what the book suggests. You can't just do it once for a fix, or think a couple of days will cure you, you need to be dedicated and do these things right! (There is also a great video online demonstrating how to do some of the iron strength routine).

I've got to say, I am not a triathlete, a marathoner, or some super-athlete or will I ever be -- and I am totally fine with that! I just want to continue running, playing basketball and biking for many more years pain free, and I think with the help of this book I will be. Thank you, Dr Metzl!! And I hope I never see you again (in your office that is!)
on September 4, 2013
This was a very useful book for diagnosing and treating my running injuries. I used the information on blisters, shin splints and hamstring injuries. I used this to help diagnose the injury and as a starting point for treatments. In my case, I investigated additional sources of treatments because recovery proved more difficult than I initially expected.
This book got me started using the foam roller for massage. I now routinely use the roller as part of my stretching program. I have extended the massage to using a golf ball under my feet and tennis ball under my thigh for deeper massage.
I also use this book for his exercises. I am particularly interested in his Iron Strenght workouts. I have only integrated some of the exercises into my program. There are manyexercises and several circuits (if you are into that style of workout).
I would recommend this to runners that are pushing themselves to the point where injury is a possibility, or have already pushed themselves into an injury.
on March 27, 2016
Haven't had enough training misfortune yet to verify the usefulness of the book, but it sure looks comprehensive. It's probably not meant to be read cover-to-cover as there is a huge amount of repetition when a given remedy/exercise applies to multiple injuries and gets described each time completely. Can easily recommend the text as a reference though.
on May 30, 2013
I have been watching Dr. Metzl's Runner's World videos for some time. I was so impressed with those, that I bought the book. Following his directions, I've managed to significantly reduce my lower back and hip pain.I highly recommend this book, not just for athletes, but for anybody with any pain problems.
on August 18, 2013
I bought this book because I was having pain in two different parts of my body. I couldn't find anything online that diagnosed it or let me know what to do about it, This book provided the right diagnosis and helped me understand how each part of the body worked. It provides some very appropriate exercises to prevent injuries and sound advice for managing any current injuries. It is also mentions when it is critical to see a doctor rather than put up with the pain or try to cure it yourself. The fact that the author is a doctor and an athlete provides credibility and comfort with the advice. The book identifies the most common athletic injuries from most popular sports. It is the next best thing to a doctor's visit!
on November 4, 2013
Dr Metzl does an outstanding job of identifying the problem and providing a clear and simple solution for how to treat the issue. I was having difficulty walking or sitting comfortably after a 10 mile run, and so I looked in the book for a solution. The book is divided into sections so finding my particular injury was quick and easy, and most importantly after a few minutes of stretches the pain was practically gone. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a runner, triathelete, or just looking at recovering from and avoiding injuries.
on May 13, 2014
I found the beginning chapters very useful in helping me redesign how I approach training for triathlons. Now that I'm getting older, making sure I don't get injured is becoming paramount. This book gives you a great way to look at how you approach training. Start with building a healthy foundation before you work on your disciplines. I recommend this to athletes who have been doing the same regimen for a long time. It may make you think a bit differently.