Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,313 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,438 reviews
on August 4, 2017
Well.... what can I say - it is what it is - a movie made by true believers on the cheap. It is not a great movie, but it's not a terrible one either. Samantha Mathis is hard to compare to Taylor Schilling in the first one, but she pulls off the job respectably. Some of the writing is a little overwrought and simplistic. Of course this is essentially a morality tale celebrating the greatness of economic libertarianism, which is in line with many of the ideals I hold, so I enjoyed it. However, I couldn't recommend it as a must see on it's own production merits. Unfortunately part III makes this one look like Citizen Kane by comparison, so it only goes downhill from here.
on October 18, 2016
I have not read the book thus this review is for the movie(s) and not the adaptation. I liked parts one and two. They both flowed well, had a nice pace, and were more than entertaining. However, part three felt like it was slapped together on a very, very, tight budget. The change out of so many actors was a bit off-putting, the flow was disjointed, and the writing was poor. Unfortunately, watching it is a necessary evil to get to the conclusion of the overall story. Amazon should price part three at no more than a dollar.
on February 28, 2013
I watched Part 1 and Part 2 of Atlas Shrugged one after the other and having read other reviews, I can't say I agree that Part 2 is a repeat of Part 1 and that it is slower. I found I liked the revamped cast better than the original (although Grant Bowler is always one of my personal favorites). I thought Samantha Mathis did a very good job as Dagney Taggart, owner of the railroad in dispute throughout most of this story. I went into Part 2 not having read any reviews and as I said, directly after watching Part 1. I don't know if that made a difference in my opinion or not, but I found The Strike to be quite exciting and the essence of Ayn Rand's point seemed to be made more openly than the subtleness of Part 1.

I gave it 5 stars, something I don't do easily for movies (well, that's only partly true, I tend to only review the movies I like because I don't enjoy writing bad reviews - just me). I thought it moved along quickly, there was more involvement in the actual factories which was nice because we got to see the product, and basically how it's made and the employees involved in making it. In Part 2, the government seems to be winning this sort of war by using nefarious political strong arm tactics and by blackmailing the business people. I thought this had a very strong cast, and I thought the story was told a bit better as there were more visuals and explanations than in the first part. There is never any doubt, however, which side of this debate Ayn Rand stands on. She obviously saw the evils of Communism and wanted to write something people could relate to that would have an impact on a generation that seemed to be tuned out (the book was written, I think, in 1958). The only weak link, I thought, was the mysterious disappearance of the smartest and best creative thinkers, industrial owners, and artists by a darkly almost sinister figure named John Galt. I know the third movie of the series should settle it all out, if we get to see it, but the thread and threat of John Galt throughout the two movies could have been fleshed out a bit more, explained a bit clearer. There was also one discussion about John Galt and his mysterious Atlantis - a place where freedom reigns. Not having read the book, I'm at a disadvantage to compare it to the book, but in terms of strictly storyline, either leave it out altogether, except minor references, or give us more information. It seemed to be handled a bit clumsily in my opinion. But again, not having read the book, there could be a good reason for it and so it did not figure into my rating.

I loved the ending, except now I have to wait until next summer (if they make the 3rd installment at all considering the negative reviews the 2nd installment got - which, to me, is possibly more scary than the story itself. Are people rating it because of their political persuasions, or because of the story? Just asking) for the finale. I bought both Part 1 and Part 2 here on Amazon, something I don't do a lot of these days because I thought it was just that good and worth owning. Keeping my fingers crossed for Part 3. Sure would like to see where these producers take the story. Otherwise, I'll have to read it. Yikes! It's 1,100 pages long! So, I loved both of these movies. I guess I just don't see all the negatives other people saw in the second movie. I would encourage you to rent it and think for yourself! After all, that's the very essence of Ayn Rand's writing. Don't just take things for granted and do what you're told. Think for yourself, be free, embrace free enterprise, because humanity hasn't grown as fast as their technology has grown. Wisdom, peace, understanding come with age and experience. I believe Ms. Rand wrote Atlas Shrugged to show just how far humans have to go before the responsibility of all of society's enterprises can be managed by one entity and that the capitalistic system has been set up with checks and balances needed to keep one group of humans from becoming all powerful. As they say, and it fits with the theme of this series of movies, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
on July 12, 2015
The entire cast is different from the first but I like this one as well. I understand this is a low budget movie. It still helps if you are reading the books. I really enjoyed this and this will go down as a favorite of all time.
on July 16, 2017
Great video. Very though provoking. I certainly wish there could be sequels to this concept.
on June 15, 2017
Where was I when this came to theaters? Never heard a word about it. This is an awesome movie.
on October 11, 2015
I saw this in a movie theater before I bought a copy so I could see it whenever I want. Atlas Shrugged is a classic that every educated person should be familiar with, at least in America. Everyone should know the differences between crony capitalism and the free market. When I saw this movie, I thought the casting was perfect, especially for the heroine and her (married) lover. The looked and acted very plausibly as the characters they protrayed. But then I bought the trilogy and saw the casting in Part !.
on November 7, 2015
I watched the entire series.
I liked the movies, except for the fact that the actors and actresses for the main characters kept changing.

This series needs a redo.
on January 7, 2015
Very surprised that all of the actors had changed versus Part One. I personally feel that it most important that this movie be true to the book, no matter how difficult to reconcile a futuristic book written during the 1950s with our current civilization. The book is true to the spirit of the book, so the changed actors is forgiven. This movie is likely entertaining only for those that "get it", the philosophy of Ayn Rand or the triumph of the individual mind over the collectivist philosophy and the brutish use of the muscle of the Statists.
on January 5, 2017
Great movie, a little hard to follow but will be worth watching all three series of this movie. There is a scholarship worth 20,000 that students can apply for that has to do with the topics of this movie series. It will be worth it for you to purchase or rent this movie so you can apply for that scholarship.