Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 2, 2016
This is the first guide for parents I have read from Dan Hughes. I love it. Although I have read about three of his clinician focused books, this one seemed to lead to the greatest click of his methods. Because it deals with everyday parenting and not just children with severe attachment experience.

It makes me feel that I can have children, as the excellent transcripts of different ages, from very young to teenage, give you a sense of how to interact during those difficult moments where most parents either don't know how to respond or force behavioral compliance at the expense of a child's/teen's inner world, and thus mucking it all up and wondering why one's kid is this way.

And it's not at all about being too nice and nurturing and giving in. It's about giving a flying F that one's child/teen has an inner world of feelings, hopes, dreams, and personal meanings.

I wish my parents had the slightest inkling of these ways of interacting. I may not have struggled with an anxious attachment style for my life.
on July 16, 2012
Although Dan Hughes specializes in working with adopted, coming from foster care "difficult" children, I highly recommend this book to my psychotherapy clients as a parenting 101 foundational primer of sorts. This is because I've personally found this book to be tremendously helpful to me as a parent, and it fits with my own attachment-based approach to psychotherapy with adults. Many of us who've had our own biological children knew how we didn't want to be, based on our family of origin experiences, but we've been at somewhat of a loss as to how to be instead. And given this, I must say that Dan Hughes' work has been invaluable to me and others.
on September 28, 2016
A little difficult, dry reading in the first chapter. But worth plowing through it as it introduces the rest of the topics/chapters. Very good after that, helped my husband and I understand and work better with our grandchildren. The had very rough childhoods for first 5 - 9 yrs of their lives dueto their parents. Due to a death and change in guardianship,for the last two years we can be fully involved as grandparents. It has been somewhat overwhelming but with help from counselors and books, they are slowly progressing to happy kids. This book is extremely helpful.Highly recommend for parents grandparents, anyone who wants to work with children.
on March 21, 2010
Dan Hughes understands children with poor attachments better than any other expert in the field. We continue to follow his guidance and have seen dramatic shifts in our little girl. Plus, as parents we feel so much better having tools that work with our daughter. If you are searching for support, understanding, and reality based strategies for parenting a child with poor attachment this book will meet your needs.
on April 11, 2017
The relationship between parent & child is the foundation of parenting. Not the authority, the material extra, the sticker board & tokens. This book helps identify the needs in this relationship & approaches on how to begin to address them in the context of promoting the relationship.
on April 30, 2015
Great book! I am a pre/post adoption therapist and often give this to adoptive parents, caregivers and foster parents to help understand attachment theory and why their children may be acting the ways in which they do. Everyone I've given this book to has said that it has helped them understand behaviors, often more so than any other material. It is super easy to read and sparks great discussion. I would recommend this for any parent or caregiver who may be caring for a children with an attachment disorder.
on February 6, 2014
You cannot go wrong with anything Daniel Hughes has to say on this matter. He has the wisdom, the clarity, and the courage to help us find who we are becoming. This book would give parents a new insight, counselors, therapists and other professionals a refreshing knowledge base, and this material would be excellent for legislators who have no idea about why it is so important to vote the dollars into early interventions and programing for children and families!
on October 4, 2016
A good book but you will have to let go of everythign you were taught about parenting if you were raised in a rather no non-sense style family. I feel it goes a bit too far into coddling but I might just be a hard nose
on November 12, 2014
A tough read in some spots. More for a professional than a layman. The explanations became clearer as I got further along. I had to highlight and review as some things were complicated to understand, and their were psych definitions I had to keep referring back to.
on September 8, 2013
For an adoptive or foster parents struggling to make sense of the behaviors being exhibited by children in their home, this is absolutely essential reading. Helps the parent to explore their own mental map and apply excellent principles to parenting hurt children well.