Your Memberships & Subscriptions
The Aubrey Rules (Chicago on Ice Series Book 1) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"As always this book gets a massive 5 stars from me and I can't stress to you enough how much you need to read it! It is by far one of the best books I have read this year!" - Emma's Book Reviews
"This book is more than a romantic comedy about hockey. This is Aven's best work to date . . . Aubrey is as real of a main character as they come. She has flaws, but she is doesn't let them hold her back. And you have Beckett who is the sweetest male lead ever. He is so genuine that you'll be wishing that you had a Beckett in your life." -Polished & Bubbly
"I loved Aubrey's personality. She is feisty, knows what she wants and is just simply adorable. Her rules, that introduce each chapter, are brilliant. More than once did I giggle to myself and thought: 'Yes, that's me.'" - Cosmochicklitan
"The Aubrey Rules is such a fun, sweet romance that will just leave you smiling! It features one of my absolute favorite sporty heroes, Captain Smart Ass aka Beckett. His witty banter and sweet personality will steal your heart. I highly recommend you pick this one up if you're a fan of sporty books, hockey or just simply an amazing romance story!" - Book Scents
"You are going to love Aubrey and Beckett! They make a fantastic couple and compliment each other so well. I love how Aubrey has her set of rules, but at the same time, is willing to alter or maybe even ignore them when she sees that they really don't have to always be set in stone." - The Sarcastic Palmtree
- ASIN : B0143J3AXW
- Publisher : Soul Mate Publishing, LLC (August 26, 2015)
- Publication date : August 26, 2015
- Language : English
- File size : 1033 KB
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print length : 245 pages
- Lending : Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #58,947 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Girl meets boy. Girl likes boy. Girl dates boy, but then has doubts, and self sabotages the relationship. Boy fixes the the problem. Then boy has doubts, and they break up. Boy and girl make up, and have their happily ever after. Every. Single. Time. In. Every. Single. Book.
Another issue that I have is that the heroines can feel a bit shallow, because of the constant reference to this or that designer. Like, that is all that they seem to focus on. Wearing this dress, or having that bag. There is more to people that fashion, and I feel that she does her characters a bit of a disservice by focusing on that aspect of their personalities.
What I do love, though, is that the author does give the characters depth, and personality. Each one is unique, in their own way, and each one has their own humor.
The Aubrey Rules is based on a heroine who is obsessive with precise rules about how to date/who to date or not and who to avoid dating completely and so forth. Aubrey Paige needs her rules to protect her heart and stay focus! As I started reading this book, I discovered that Paige is a down-to-earth and really genuine heroine who tells you what exactly is on her mind without any editing!
In the opening chapter, Aubrey literary falls into the arms of Beckett Riley, a captain of Chicago Buffaloes hockey team as she runs to attend an important work interview with a ChicagoConnect. And from the start Aubrey forms a strong connection with Beckett. The scenes between them are so romantic, sizzling and written in a fairytale way but also with a dose of reality -this could actually happen to me!
In my mind Beckett Riley is the star of this book. As the captain of a hockey team, he is fierce, strong and very confident but off the ice ring Beckett is a bit awkward and is always fighting personal insecurities and low self-esteem with the ladies/ fans. Then he meets Aubrey and everything changes in his own life.
I really adore the way Aubrey's has a journal full of rules and as she meets and gets to know Beckett her rule books goes through a hefty number of amendments and notes. Also, I think they dates were simple but amazingly thoughtful and romantic.
Why Aubrey Rules should feature in your TBR pile...
This book is a genuinely enjoyable romcom where the author's strength lies in her characters, each with their own personalities and traits we all can relate to. I am already looking forward to Aven's next book!
Aven Ellis writes well, and I didn't find too many grammatical errors. If she writes another book that appeals to me, I'll probably give her another try.
I think we can all relate to having (mentally) made lists with New Year's resolutions or do's and don'ts for all sorts of situations. Aubrey Paige, Aven Ellis' fabulous new main character, however, takes this to a whole new level. She keeps her 'Aubrey Rules To Live By' close and takes them very seriously. But then she meets Beckett. A wonderful (and impossibly gorgeous) man. She shouldn't date him. She shouldn't even come near him, according to her rules. But something about Beckett makes her want to break them all. So will she be able to let go?
An amazing thing about Aven Ellis is that time and time again, she manages to write strong main characters you just can't help but fall in love with. All of them are very different, but her leading ladies are driven, energetic and fun, and her leading men... Pfew! Scorching hot is the first thing that comes to mind! But they're always kind and loving. You want to be her leading lady and you want to date the leading man.All of this goes for Aubrey and Beckett too. You can't help but adore both of them. Every chapter starts with a rule out of Aubrey's book - including edits. Not only is this another original chapter opening - Aven's signature move - it allows you to connect to Aubrey even more. It shows how well Aven knows her characters; how much she invests in them.So you have the lovable leading lady and the sexy hockey player, and Aven Ellis spices things up even more by adding a secret relationship and an office villain to the mix. Safe to say that this book is an addictive read. Have fun, relax and fall in love with The Aubrey Rules.
Top reviews from other countries
From the moment I first started reading, I had a huge grin on my face. I adored Aubrey & Beckett. They were so damn cute and their story made me light up with happiness. If you are looking for a romance that is an absolute delight to read, this is the book you need. I cannot love it anymore than I do now. I’m so excited to read more of this author’s work including the rest of this series. This was without a doubt my favourite novel of the year so far. I now have a the mother of all book hangovers and it was so worth it.
It is slightly annoying with the heroines angst about him maybe, possibly going off with another woman ( despite their being absolutely no evidence for this) and it does get a little irritating that she cannot cope at all with his female fans. You would think that she would know what to expect having done all that research on social media?
The actions of Mallory with the notebook were so predictable. I have seen that plot line so many times. I also spotted at least one typo, 'causal' instead of 'casual'. I got a bit fed up with the frequent product references and not just because I'm from the uk so less familiar with them. I just don't think you need them this often unless you want to appear or actually are involved in some sort of advertising/ sponsorship deal!
Aven Ellis can do no wrong - seriously, she has yet to deliver anything other than five-star, heart-warming, romantic, I-can't-wait-to-read-this novels and this is another which does not disappoint.
Aubrey Paige is a Social Media expert who has recently taken on a job at one of the top firms in Chicago. She is sassy, quirky, clever and has lived her life by her own self made rules.
'When you have a meeting with someone important, confidence is key. You stride into the meeting, not walk. You maintain eye contact. You speak with authority. You win this meeting.
**Note: Okay, obviously I was high when I wrote this rule.
Beckett Riley is the Captain of the Chicago Buffaloes hockey team - on the ice he is confident, demanding and bold. Off the ice, he is the polar opposite.
He's sexy, he's funny, he's kind, and he will be the death of me.
Aubrey and Beckett stumble upon each other - quite literally - in the elevator of the building they are both living in under some unconventional circumstances. This was one of those classic meet-cute moments which went oh-so-wrong but made me feel all the oh-so-rights!
Aubrey is one of those heroines who is relatable - she is grounded, loyal and has just the right amount of self-confidence vs lack of it.
Beckett is even more of an unconventional leading male but one that made me swoon at least a hundred times over.
Where is my Captain Smart Ass?
There isn't an Aven novel that I'd go into with anything less than stellar expectations - the woman has set herself a high bar but constantly manages to outdo herself.
Happiness floats down my spine. I know I'm in trouble. Big, big, trouble.
This was the best moment in the entire novel for me and to understand it - you HAVE TO READ IT!
"Thermals, aromatics, messy buns...and to think two weeks ago I pretty much talked hockey nonstop. What are you doing to me, Aubrey Paige?"
Aven - you wrote this line and I'll repeat it back to you a million times over if you keep supply me with Beckett-style Men...
"I'm so lucky I checked yes."
1. I love her heroes, sweet, kind, honest, strong, sexy as hell and Beckett Riley is no different except this time we have the added bonus of him being painfully shy, awkward and a bit of a dork too and you have no idea how adorable this makes him. Instead of the confident, bold hero, Aven gave us Beckett who is a brilliant NHL team captain, who looks out for his team, who has no idea how to act in front of a camera, who is insightful, sincere, patient and loves with his whole heart and I utterly fell in love with him.
2. I love her heroines, strong, sassy, fiesty, kind, Aubrey has this in spades. But she also has insecurities and vulnerabilities too. I love that Aubrey was a normal sized woman who loved fries, i love that she just said the first thing that comes to mind with no filter, I love how she has all these rules and then breaks or amends them for Beckett. She is a brilliant character and probably my favourite Aven Ellis heroine to date.
3. I love the banter and the chemistry. Beckett and Aubrey have a brilliant relationship that was sweet and oh so hot but tender and laugh out loud funny. They were so good together and so good for each other and I loved seeing their love grow into something beautiful.
4. I love the villains in Aven's stories, she always gives us someone to hate and this particular villain, in the form of Aubrey's new boss Mallory is a serious villainous piece of work. The things she gets Aubrey to do in the name of work were staggering but brilliantly funny too.
5. I love the story. Hot hockey hero who never thinks anyone will love him for who he really is, meets Aubrey who has rules to protect her and ends up breaking them. This kind of formula is what Aven does best.
6. I love the humour. Aven writes absolutely flawless comedy, whether its the outlandish things that Mallory gets Aubrey to do at work, Aubrey's thoughts on this, the unfortunate events that befall Aubrey, the superb banter between Aubrey and Beckett or Beckett's dorkiness, I just laughed all the way through. Just perfection.
7. I love the other characters, Livy and Landy are the perfect compliment to Beckett and Aubrey, helping them along the rocky road of love.
8. I love the world of ice hockey, the glitz, the photo shoots, the fans but mostly the game of ice hockey itself. Aven does the best commentary of the game so you know exactly what is happening, who is where and what they are doing, its tense and fast and completely compelling. And as a treat in this book, The Chicgao Buffalos plays The Dallas Demons so we got to see all our favourite heroes from Aven's previous books, Harrison, Nate and Matt.
9. I love the little descriptions, the setting, Chicago, the weather, the homes, the clothes. Aven adds these gorgeous nuggets in unobtrusively but so beautifully so the story just comes to life so vividly and clearly.
10. I love the awww factor. Those gorgeously, romantic sweet moments that just take your breath away, a glance, a comment, a sweet gesture, and as with all Aven Ellis books The Aubrey Rules left me with a warm glow and a huge smile on my face.
You need this book in your life so you too can fall in love with Beckett Riley and Aven's flawlessly perfect heartwarming writing.