Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2012, 7:14:13 AM PDT
BubbaCoop says:
TheDigitalBits.com

Heads-up: There are some reports of audio issues with the Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set - specifically character dialogue being mixed not just in the center but front left and right channels on some episodes. It's not something I noticed initially (as naturally none of the episodes I've watched thus far are among the problematic ones), but we're looking into it and will post an update as soon as possible. We're told CBS is already investigating...

Scott Saslow - Thanks for keeping up with this, guys. I also had a lip sync issue on the documentary (mainly the first part) but this may have just been my PS3. Oh well. :-)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012, 9:23:26 AM PDT
BubbaCoop says:
http://television.thedigitalfix.com/Content/1019/star-trek-tng-blu-ray-audio-issues.html

Posted on Jul 25, 2012, 12:32:25 PM PDT
BubbaCoop says:
TheDigitalBits.com
Okay, just a quick update re: CBS's Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set. There is a confirmed audio issue that affects 7 episodes in the set - Encounter at Farpoint, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001 and Too Short a Season. (Naturally, none of the episodes I watched prior to my review!) The impact is that in the DTS 7.1 mixes for these episodes, character dialogue that should normally be in the center channel is also mixed into the front left and right channels. The other episodes are unaffected. However, there's a secondary audio issue being reported as well in which the PCM audio for some of the extra features on Disc One and Disc Six plays out of sync on at least some models of Blu-ray player. CBS has begun investigating both issues. As soon as we get some kind of official word from them as to what they find to be the cause and how they're going to fix the problems, we'll let you all know.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012, 8:09:21 PM PDT
Damon says:
The 7.1 mix is screwed up on Haven also. Not out of sinc, just sounds like they are in a large pipe talking. I switched to 2 channel and it is fine.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012, 9:27:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2012, 9:28:34 PM PDT
Alan says:
Bubba,
Several are passing on your updates (and giving you appropriate credit) as well as posting from other sites under the Amazon listing for Star Trek: The Next Generation (Blu-ray) Season One reviews.
We're also waiting for CBS to give more information but expect it to be several days or a couple of weeks for them to really rip into these problems.
Thank you for your time and the postings.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012, 10:11:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2012, 10:14:56 PM PDT
Alan says:
I wrote an e-mail to CBS Home Entertainment public relations on Friday afternoon and thanked them for dropping the ball on all of this, this week.
I asked them to at least provide us with a link on the homepage where people could be go and read any updates on what's going on...and nothing.
CBS / Paramount is remaining as silent as possible.
----
I have an idea, and it may get some attention.
If you own this, return it for a replacement.
And if you get another one with problems, return it for a replacement.
And again, and again, and again...
let's see how silent CBS desires to be after distributors tell them enough is enough.
Amazon, Best Buy, Target, B&N, Walmart...have power.
You're just a consumer.
I think we should see if the consumer is really that insignificant.
Everyone game?

Posted on Jul 27, 2012, 11:25:51 PM PDT
Alan says:
The following is from and can only be credited to the digital bits dot com, as the posting reads:
MY TWO CENTS - 7/27/12 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt.
All right, I do have a quick update for you today on the Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray 7.1 audio issue.
CBS has investigated, they're in the process of correcting the problem and we expect to have an official statement from them very soon on how they're going to handle it with consumers.
For those of you who may be experiencing audio sync issues with the Dolby Digital audio on the extra features on the TNG BDs.
Check your Blu-ray player settings.
Some people are reporting problems and others aren't.
It appears NOT to be a player model issue or an actual problem on the discs, but rather inconsistencies in the way people have their players setup.
I've done some experiments with our demo system here at The Bits, and essentially what's happening is the more work your Blu-ray player is having to do in terms of processing the video and the audio signal, the more delay between audio and video appears when watching the extras.
So if you have a very good display, set your player simply to deliver the video signal without extra processing and let your display do all the work of video processing.
Conversely, if you have a high-end A/V receiver, let the receiver do all the heavy-lifting with the audio decoding.
In our test system, sure enough when we overworked the player (two different models - Oppo and Panasonic) a significant audio delay appeared.
When we restored the proper settings, the problem cleared up.
Give that a shot and spread the word when you hear others having similar problems with audio sync on the extras.
That at least is NOT a problem with the discs.
I should note that setting your player settings in this manner is just a good idea in general - after all, the reason you buy high-quality displays (flat screens or projectors) and A/V receivers is that they have the extra muscle to do the work in delivering the reference video and audio quality you want.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012, 7:41:31 PM PDT
J. T. says:
I've had problems with the Haven episode sounding like everyone is in a tunnel, also. The other episodes I've watched have been fine thus far, and I've changed no settings between the episodes.

Considering Amazon is just the distributor, does anyone have a contact that we should be using to let CBS know we're having problems?

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 11:24:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012, 11:25:20 AM PDT
Alan says:
CBS Home Entertainment - and they're ignoring e-mail...but we're hitting them repeatedly anyways.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 11:46:23 AM PDT
John says:
"Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience."

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-season-1-bd-replacement/17303#ixzz228J4DJ1J

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 11:47:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 30, 2012, 11:48:10 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 11:48:39 AM PDT
Alan says:
Thanks John

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 11:49:01 AM PDT
To all that own this set...VERY important info following this link

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 3:26:27 PM PDT
I just saw the audio issue and response from CBS. I haven't bought the Blu-Rays yet. I'd like to know if they will be issuing updated sets and whether it would be worth it to wait and see if they do, or to buy the one currently on Amazon and request the replacement discs. Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012, 3:49:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012, 3:51:10 PM PDT
Alan says:
Chris,
It usually takes a few weeks to replace sets on the shelf.
However, this is the number one seller and they are everywhere with everyone - probably already getting mass produced in China with the bootleg factory fired up and cookin'.
Wait a bit, then buy from Amazon (and I mean only from Amazon directly and not from a seller that ships thorugh Amazon for awhile - or any store that's been around).
But double-check after you buy just to make sure you have a cleaned up set and not one that slipped through the cracks.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 4:18:52 PM PDT
Alan says:
CBS / Paramount has also addressed another issue that some of us have regarding 2.0 original audio missing - "Haven" as one of them without the 2.0 audio option on some sets.
So many discs are made, more than one facility is used to make them all.
It's possible it may be isolated to one factory - possible folder / file corruption or some other reason.
It is not an issue everywhere.
It is not an issue with every set.
I've been asked to send my entire set directly to CBS / Paramount.
After receiving this reply, I started thinking about that "region" thing and talked to a few store managers close by.
Several sets were returned with the other problems for an exchange, and when we played around with one, we also found a missing 2.0 audio track on "Haven" there, too.
So... are we having fun yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012, 4:38:22 PM PDT
Brandon Ryan says:
In my case, Haven does have the 2.0 audio, but there are two versions of "French". One of the French is in French and the other French is actually English, they just have the wrong tag on it.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 4:51:41 PM PDT
Alan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 30, 2012, 9:19:31 PM PDT
Teancum says:
So CBS is doing a replacement program for the discs as found from
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223

"

ParamountCBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution are reacting to consumer complaints about audio anomalies on the new box set of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1. A replacement program has been instituted and replacement discs will be sent to consumers free of charge. Following is the official press release with appropriate contact information:

Dear Star Trek Fans, We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 1-877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday. We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

UPDATE: The fulfillment firm is simply sending replacement discs to those who can verify the code on the inner ring of any of the Blu-ray discs (it's very hard to read, so having a bright light is helpful). There is no need to mail in the defective discs. According to the fulfillment firm, replacement discs will be sent within 5-10 business days after August 10. "

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012, 12:02:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012, 12:58:47 AM PDT
No, I have only "attacked" Alan D. Fraser and another poster who have obviously shown they don't own the set. With every review, Alan posted this erroneous statement of only his/"some" copies somehow not having 2.0 audio track(s)...never mind his apparent ignorance about the file structure of optical discs...or that he's harped about "Haven" being on "disc 2". When he and the other poster decided to thread crap on everyone's review, then refused to engage or show actual reason, they deserve a lot more then my reality checks. In actuality, it's on disc 3 in which the Haven tracks are on. As I confirmed with Brandon Ryan in another review, the audio track in the file structure might have said "French" for the English 2.0, but the audio options in the menu set are all linked correctly for the audio tracks in every language.

Some other bits of info about the directory structure of optical discs: DVD and BD have audio and video tracks of each file in a container file. .vob for DVD or .mts for BD. There could potentially be some corrupt clusters in any file structure, but especially since all the audio and video tracks in a segment are in one containment file....there's absolutely no way whole audio tracks would be missing in any pressing. The data correction algorithms for optical media are pretty good, so a corrupt cluster is not going to cause tracking errors. There's absolutely no way some audio track that's in the container mts file that's in the mounted mirror file from the master could *somehow* be missing. The worst fault due to corrupted files would be some kind of interference with that particular segment, or at worst something like a tracking error.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012, 5:10:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012, 5:17:29 AM PDT
Alan says:
I wonder if I just heard another audio screw up.

Disc 5, episode "Skin Of Evil".

At :12:31 into the episode after the landing party beams back to the Enterprise,

Dr. Crusher: I need her in sickbay , now.
Capt. Picard: Go to yellow alert, Lt. Worf. I'll be in Sickbay.

Right when Capt. Picard begins speaking (Go to yellow alert), you hear an echo that bounces all over the place.

The original DVD season set didn't have this echo.
I dug up the original broadcast of the episode over-the-air as I recorded it - not there.

:22:51 -
"You are all ungrateful" as said by the creature.
Same thing.
A bouncing echo never there before.

I'm wondering if this is all worth it.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012, 9:22:16 AM PDT
Does anyone have any info on whether it's safe to place an order now? I.e., if you put an order in today (August 1st): (1) Will you receive the audio-corrected versions of the discs? (2) Will there be any sort of delay (e.g., because Amazon sits on your order while it's waiting for the audio-corrected versions of the discs)?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 1:41:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012, 2:07:55 PM PDT
Alan says:
Marcus,
I have to be honest - perhaps biased now that I discovered the new problem posted above yours...
I have to go back to my first instinct on this and say no.
Disc 5 isn't even a part of the disc replacement program, and yet... another problem.
In my opinion, CBS / Paramount has royally screwed this up and should take every damn set back until they can get this whole thing right, then put it back on the shelf for sale.
As this is the number one in sales, there are a lot of sets out there, all carrying the 3 problem discs and now perhaps more.
It'll be at least a month before this mess is cleaned up.
What is also disgusting, I've checked locally at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, ShopKo... no one is pulling it off the shelf, and upper management don't even know there's a problem yet.
They're all selling the set like it was just another day, another dollar.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 2:40:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012, 3:04:09 PM PDT
It's going to take awhile to get a fully new set issued. CBS seems really good about responding to complaints of ACTUAL OWNERS. I was told that replacement discs containing questionable audio tracks will be released August 10. Do not believe hearsay generated by some on this forum (IE missing stereo tracks, all discs defective, etc). The current set is not that bad. Of the effected surround tracks, dialogue is still usually centered. And if it's too distracting (or echo-y on your setup, you can switch to stereo).

*edit*
"Alan D. Fraser says:
Rosie,
Did you get your package?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/discussion.html/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx20DX5GEB7TUX8&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2RJ1Z5M8DWCS0#Mx7LNP8COFI0AO"* "

Alan D Fraser is one of the crudest/childish trolls I've ever encountered.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 2:52:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 1, 2012, 3:06:25 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

This discussion is about