Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Audio-Technica AT875R Line + Gradient Condenser Microphone
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

VINE VOICEon March 11, 2014
In this review I go over several different microphones to give you an idea of how they sound in comparison to each other.

Microphones tested:
Audio Technica AT875R
Koss SB/45
MXL Studio 24 USB
Blue Yeti THX USB

I've used the Audio Technica AT875R for a while now, and for the money it's a superb mic. It does a great job of rejecting any sound which originates outside of the very directional pickup area. It really shines when it's about 2.5' or closer to the subject. When it's further than that the drop-off in level is noticeable.
1414 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2010
I am a freelance videographer and I got this mic to compliment my Canon XHA1. It is an awesome mic, it is super sensitive, picks up long range sounds. I just finished doing a short shot outside and the sound was very clean. I did very little post on it. I also used it for voice overs and the sound was perfect, zero noise. Great mic for a great price, I have used higher priced mics and not gotten as good of results as the 875r.
on November 23, 2012
Not sure what else one can I say after many reviews. The product works well and gives a good balanced sound for video recording. We're using it on a boom-pole to record dialog. There are superb reviews done by pros please read them. It makes all the difference HOW you use this mic. There are so many things to consider and you really need to learn more about audio or ask an audio recording person what are the best way to use it for your requirements.

IE: never, ever mount this or any other mics on a camcorder !
You will pickup background noise and echo.
Point the mic from above down in an angle to minimize the ambient noise and rear pickup. It all depends on your location and what you're recording. If you don't have an audio person or helper, you may have no choice but to mount it on the camera. You will not be happy with the result and it's not the mic fault.
on November 25, 2012
I'm a public radio reporter and use this shotgun mic for feature stories. For the price and build, I'm very happy with it. It's a quality microphone. I use this mic with a TASCAM DR-100mkII 2-Channel Portable Digital Recorder utilizing the recorder's phantom power. This microphone is great for on-location recordings.

It is quite a bit shorter than the other Audio-Technica shotgun mics I've used and that does have an impact on how close you need to be to your interviewee or the sound you're trying to capture. Also, like all shotgun mics, it is very sensitive. So if you're wanting to hold the mic while recording, I suggest purchasing a pistol grip shotgun mount so it doesn't capture your hand movements.

Overall, very happy and enjoy using this product.
on January 25, 2010
Let's say that you -like me - have a blog and you post some very interesting info on gadgets. Let's assume that you bought (like me) a cool screen flow capture software like ScreenFlow but you are a bit disappointed by the audio your computer records via its built-in microphone. Let's also assume that you have a cool high definition camcorder like the Canon VIXIA HFS10 and you would like to enhance the audio recording capabilities via an external mic. And, finally, let's say you have only 200 bucks left after holiday season for any additional gadget you might want to buy until Father's Day. And you heard that shotgun condenser microphones would match all your expectations but they are expensive. Do you have a problem with this or not ?
Actually, no, you don't. Here enters the Audio Technica AT875 - the perfect match for your requirements.
I was in a similar dilemma one month ago until I ran into some review pages on the net and comparisons with much more expensive condenser microphones like the Neumanns, Sankens, Schoeps or Sennheisers. The AT875 kept extremely well with all these professional-grade condenser microphones. And it costs under 200 dollars !

The AT875 is a pro-grade shotgun condenser microphone, compact (only 7 inches), very well built. It is a short shotgun condenser microphone that exhibits the sound quality and performance of larger, higher-priced shotgun microphones. If you google it you might run into some interesting audio samples on the net, or you might follow my blog link (see my profile) to listen some samples made by me. Since it is a short microphone, stays out of the frame when mounted on a camcorder, and has an incredible off-axis noise rejection. This is especially useful if you record in a room that has echo - you will be amazed that the mic does not capture the echo and the sound of the recording is pretty similar to anechoic recordings. Also because of its rather small dimension does not protrude "in your eyes" if you use it on a desk, for various blogging or video blogging needs.

It has a smooth, and very natural audio reproduction with excellent detail capture. Lacks a bit of bass punch, but this is due to being tailored for a low frequency response that removes unwanted low frequency noise - a built-in "bass rolloff" that you cannot disable. You can always boost (+2 or +3dB) the bass in post prod so, from my point of view, this is not an issue. From this point of view I find the sound very natural and you can easily position the mic at one foot away (on a desk, I mean) and have a perfect recording of your voice.

The only downsize of the mic is that it requires phantom power to operate. 11 to 52V phantom power will do. Also, you will have to buy a XLR cable because the mic has a standard XLR output. This might increase your expenses once you realize that you need an XLR interface with your computer. For my desk-based recording needs I have an E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 Recording Interface for Mac that provides phantom power for microphones, with two inputs for mic/ Hi-Z with separate preamps.

For use with a camcorder, the AT875R integrates seamlessly with some of the smaller professional cameras. If your camera does not have XLR inputs, you might consider an universal microphone adapter for XLR. Something like the budget Beachtek DX-A2S Dual XLR Compact Audio Adapter (ok for all camcorders) will do the trick (I use it with my HFS10. Please remember that this is a MONOPHONIC microphone. You need two to get stereo recordings, or you may mix down on both output channels.

The AT875R is probably the best bang for the buck that you might run into in this category (pro condenser mini-shotgun with balanced output and phantom power). In the box you will find a pouch, a mount adapter for stands and another thread adaptor for tripod mount. A wind shield is also included. More info and pictures on my weblog.

I rate this with 5 stars. It is an amazing product that does not cost too much.
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2012
The mic. works very well with my Canon XA-10 Camcorder. Both the camcorder and my audio mixer put out phantom power so the lack of a battery is not a problem.

The sound quality is very good - far superior to the built in mic. on the camcorder. The super-cardiod pickup pattern does a good job of rejecting sounds from the sides.

It has a narrow shaft so it does not fit in the XA-10's built in mic. mount. It comes with a pair of O-rings to help mount it, but they aren't thick enough to keep the mic. in place without wobbling. I cut up a mouse pad and wrapped it around the mic. and it fits and works well but looks a bit ugly. It would have been nice if the mic. had come with some sort of adapter sleeve to mount it in a standard size mic. mount other than hardware store O-rings.
on September 28, 2014
There is a reason this mic has the best rating of shotgun mics here on amazon. Right now it nearly has a perfect 5 star rating. I used this mic last night in several applications and I can't imagine why or how you would ever need anything better.

It can handle loud noises very well, yet when I used it close range to pick up soft singing it excelled wonderfully.

I AM BOUND TO BUY MORE!!!!
on February 3, 2015
Wonderful warm sound, I am extremely pleased with this mic. I'm using it through a Zoom H4N via an XLR cable. I was looking for an inexpensive audio option and after trying two VidPro mics, the second one more tiny and ice cold than the first, I went with this. Honestly... I used the VidPro's when recording an audition and a short scene for a short film, both times I went with my Canon 60D's internal mic's audio instead... it sounded so much better. I returned both VidPros to Amazon.com (GREAT return policy!) I then did a lot more research, read the reviews and went for this Audio Technica 875R. This mic is radically better than my built in camera's mic, it has a soothing warm clean tone, just beautiful sounding professional audio. It does an amazing job of reducing background noise and produces fantastic dialog audio for your films. VERY highly recommended! Do keep in mind that this mic does not accept a battery, you will need Phantom Power for it to work, 24 bit recorders such as the Zoom H4N have Phantom power built in. This is not the mic for you to plug directly into your DSLR.
on April 26, 2014
I was torn between the Audio-Technica AT875R and the RODE NTG-2, but after some research I decided on the Audio-Technica. I've used it on a few video shoots now and have been very pleased with its performance, especially for the price. The sound is clean and very directional (as a shotgun should be) and the microphone really is surprisingly small. Do keep in mind that you need phantom power to use this mic – I use a Tascam DR-40 and the two make a very nice portable combination. The mic comes with a few basic accessories – a nice little padded travel pouch, a clip, and a foam cover. You'll need to provide your own cable and if you want a shock mount or "dead cat" wind screen (both of which I'd recommend), you'll need to pick them up separately. For filmmakers looking for an XLR shotgun mic for less than $300, I'd say this is a great buy!
on July 17, 2016
 I use many different mics for my video and podcast studio. It was no surprise to find another great Audio Technica mic. This company consistently blows my mind with there quality mics. The AT875R shotgun mic is no exception, this microphone does a fantastic job for picking up audio.

This microphone is a condenser mic and needs to use 48V phantom power. It also has a narrow audio pick up beam, which does a great job picking up the subject you point at rather than all the background sounds.

I have compared this mic to some of the favorite mics I use almost every day like the Heil PR40, the Audio Technica ATR 2100 and my Audio Technica Pro 70 lapel mic.

Using the Shotgun mic is pretty easy, you plug into a mixer or a device that can supply phantom power the mic, you point the mic at your subject and hit record or broadcast. Don't have phantom power? You can always buy an adaptor, which I will be revising soon.

The sound quality is very solid and crisp if you need a quality pro-grade shotgun mic that's a little less than 7 inches and is under 200 dollars, then this is the shotgun mic for you. The Audio Technica AT875R comes with a carrying bag, pop filter and a mic stand with a adaptor. I would toss the mic stand and grab a shock mount, I should have a review of one that fits multiple stand types very soon.

I can totally recommend this mic and will be using it for my YouTube videos moving forward. I wish I would have had this mic from get go. I will not be using this mic for podcasting. You can use it for that but I prefer a dynamic mic for podcasting. Thank you for watching my video and/or reading my review. This has to be one of the best shotgun mics for this price point, easily being worth twice the current price.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image