Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor..." and save 25% off the $199.00 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (OLD MODEL)
|You Save:||$50.00 (25%)|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Exceptional audio quality for professional monitoring and mixing
- Collapsible design ideal for easy portability and convenient storage
- Closed-back cushioned earcup design creates an outstanding seal for maximum isolation
- Adjustable padded headband for comfort during long mixing/recording sessions
- Single-sided coiled cable terminates to gold-plated mini-plug with screw-on 1/4" adapter
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
Compare to similar items
This item Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (OLD MODEL)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms B0006NL5SM
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Austin Bazaar||Amazing Deals Online||Amazon.com||Blue Glass Solutions|
|Item Dimensions||11.3 x 8.2 x 4.2 in||10 x 11.4 x 4.1 in||4 x 7 x 8.5 in||10 x 4.1 x 11.4 in|
|Item Weight||1.5 lbs||2.1 lbs||0.64 lb||2.1 lbs|
With the ATH-M50 professional studio monitor headphones, Audio-Technica has achieved an exceptionally accurate response and long-wearing listening comfort. Designed especially for professional monitoring and mixing, these studiophones feature an efficient collapsible design for space-saving portability and storage. Circumaural ear pieces swivel 180° for easy one-ear monitoring and luxuriously padded ear cushions create an outstanding seal for maximum isolation. The adjustable headband is generously padded for ultimate comfort during long mixing sessions. A coiled cable at the left earpiece terminates to a gold-plated mini-plug with included screw-on ¼" adapter. Audio-Technica’s sophisticated driver technology and superior components deliver exceptional power handling and very high SPL capabilities while maintaining clarity of sound throughout their extended range, with deep, accurate bass and outstanding high-frequency extension. The headphones feature proprietary large-aperture drivers with neodymium magnet systems for ultra-efficient signal transfer.
From the Manufacturer
Top Customer Reviews
This is my new all-time favorite pair of headphones. I've gone through my Beats by Dre phase. I've gone through my in-ear buds phase [high school]. I've been sent numerous pairs of headphones to review for my YouTube channel. Only 1 has received a 10/10 with an outstanding price/performance ratio. And that's the M50s.
Enjoy the video!
PS - You should totally subscribe to the MKBHD YouTube channel =]
First off, I got this pair of headphones about a year ago, and I got them for about $130, tax included. When I got them, they sounded pretty good; just about as good as my pair of skullcany ink'd earbuds (those earbuds are pretty awesome even though they do break after about three months). Before purchasing the headphones, I read a couple reviews about how this pair of headphones need to be "burnt in". I did some research on google, and found out what "burning in" was (basically you plug in the headphones and play white noise/ pink noise for a certain number of hours). So I burnt in my headphones for about 60 ish hours (I wasn't really counting- I was just playing the noise while I labored over homework). To my surprise, they sounded better after that. The m50 headphones actually gets better as it ages (the voices get crisper, the sounds sound more natural).
Honestly, I love this pair of headphones (they sound way better than my (5th) pair of skullcandies now) for several reasons:
- I don't feel them after a while. It feels like I'm just plainly not wearing them
- The material's comfortable (I have really flat straight hair and an average head) and isn't too big or small.
- The sound quality is amazing. I'm not kidding when I say that the voices are so much crisper. The sound quality is really balanced too. The skullcandies tend to put more emphasis on the well, heavier side of music (beats, etc). A classical piece sounds as good as say a deadmau5 song though the m50's (which is pretty darn good).
- The headphone jack is really well built. It's not going to fall apart like my skullcandies anytime soon.
A couple things that might be helpful to know:
- The cord's insanely long. I had to get a ribbon to tie up most of it. Otherwise I end up tripping on it or tangling it.
- The sound quality's still really amazing at low volumes. My ears are really sensitive (more than an hour or two with the skullcandies at the lowest volume on my I-pod will make my ears feel awful), and the m50's don't hurt my ears. I listen to the m50's for 4-5 hours a day, and my ears are fine (the volume is usually on 2-4 on my laptop, which is a Dell Studio).
- I wear glasses, and after a while, the glasses frame will leave an indent on the sides of the headphone cushions. I wouldn't advise wearing flimsy plastic frameless glasses with this pair of headphones.
- The headphones block sound pretty well. When I put them on, I definitely can't hear my mom talking (sorry, Mom). I can hear her voice if she shouts, but I can't make out the words. I travel with my family a lot, and the headphones did a good job blocking out the airplane noise.
- These fold in pretty well. It took me a while to figure out how they fold in since they can flip, turn, and twist in every which way.
- What I actually listen to: J-pop, J-rock, rock, pop, classical, techno, a bit of country, well, a bit of everything.
The only thing I'm worried out for this pair of headphones is where the cord connects to the left "ear cup". It's not as strong as the headphone jack. I guess it's not supposed to be?
I don't have any other pair of headphones, so I don't really have anything to compare the m50's to, but if the price ever falls below 130, I'd get a second pair (my current pair never leaves home). Some of the old reviews say that these headphones used to be below 100, but I doubt that the price would ever fall that low again. I should probably stop procrastinating and get back to my homework now.
The ATHM50 series of headphones have a history of being "The best monitor headphones ever", and after owning two (Three now), I've come to first hand experience the unbelievable sound that only Audio-Technica is capable of. Now, I've had a GOOD few pair of headphones (ranging from $20-$150) from the past 7 years I've been interested in music, sound design, and finally sound engineering, so I've had a good run with plenty of different brands of headphones before buying the ATHM50's. From the day they arrived, to the day that they died, I've fallen in love with these Headphones.
I initially bought them because I wanted to be able to hear EVERY SINGLE THING in a song, and these babies do just that. The tiniest sounds in music can be heard with these headphones, and you'll be simply ASTONISHED at what you miss with other headphones. I'll breakdown the important aspects of these headphones below.
- Highs: Crispier than Krispy Kreme Donughts. Wow, that was a bad reference... But in any case, the Highs are crisp, clear, and laser precise. Nothing escapes these headphones.
- Mids: Vocals are ESPECIALLY good with these headphones. Mids are very warm an feel nice against the other amazing sounds being resonated from the ATHM50's
- Lows: As a producer and sound designer... These things are AMAZING FOR BASS. They aren't amplified at all, which is a GOOD thing, because as a music writer, I cannot STAND IT when I make the bass on a song lower because the headphones built in subwoofer was just too dang loud... These headphones make it so that the bass that is produced is the bass that was intended to be heard, not amplified a gazillion times...
- Build Quality: The headphones, physically, feel VERY sturdy and, well, ARE very sturdy. The headband can be a bit tight, but with a bit of stretching and breaking in, it fits snug against your head and ears. The Ear Cups that cushion against your head are VERY, VERY comfortable and feel like 2 big marshmallows. They're very nice! The coiled cable saves a LOT of room, so for those who like coiled cords, you're going to LOVE these. They have a straight cable version too, just not sure if the Limited Edition Red one comes in a straight cable.
- Design: As you know, originally, the ATHM50's ONLY came in Black and White, with the Special Edition Anniversary Silver one a year or so after. The FIRST thing you'll see about these headphones is the BEAUTIFUL Red and Black finish. The color itself is SO EYE POPPING it's RIDICULOUS. Now we can all have a but of style to accompany these AMAZING headphones! Just as aesthetically pleasing as they are functionally pleasing.
GRANTED, although these are INTENDED for professional Mixing and Sound Engineering, these work AMAZINGLY on ANY audio device. Ipod, Consoles, PC, you name it, it all sounds INCREDIBLE. I find myself using it for movie viewing too, and lemme just tell you, that is one HECK of a ride! :D
These are Limited Edition, so they could go pretty fast, so I would pick one up PRONTO!!!
In comparison to headphones like Bose and Beats by Dre, these blow EVERYTHING out of the water. Beats? Not for me, too muddy of bass and they are just too darn expensive, not to mention they require 3 AAA batteries. Bose? They're good for LISTENING, not for professionally making/mixing/mastering music.
All in all, for $150-$160, The Audio-Technica M50RD's LOOK amazing and SOUND amazing, and aren't those two things the most important aspects of buying headphones?
Look no further, you will NOT find greater headphones under $200. GURANTEED. Audio-Technica is THE best headphones company. PERIOD