Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (OLD MODEL)
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Exceptional audio quality for professional monitoring and mixing
- Collapsible design ideal for easy portability and convenient storage
- Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers with neodymium magnet systems
- Closed-back cushioned earcup design creates an outstanding seal for maximum isolation
- Adjustable padded headband for comfort during long mixing/recording sessions
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Audio-Technica has introduced a straight-cable version, ATH-M50s, of its flagship ATH-M50 headphones. Designed to provide an exceptionally natural response for professional monitoring/mixing, the headphones feature a closed-back, collapsible design with 45 mm neodymium drivers, circumaural ear pieces (180° swivel) and luxuriously padded ear cushions. A straight cable at the left earpiece terminates to a gold-plated mini-plug with included screw-on ¼" adapter. Audio-Technica’s sophisticated driver technology and superior components deliver exceptional power handling and very high SPL capabilities while maintaining clarity of sound throughout their extended range, with deep, accurate bass and outstanding high-frequency extension. The headphones feature proprietary large-aperture drivers with neodymium magnet systems for ultra-efficient signal transfer
From the Manufacturer
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This is my new all-time favorite pair of headphones. I've gone through my Beats by Dre phase. I've gone through my in-ear buds phase [high school]. I've been sent numerous pairs of headphones to review for my YouTube channel. Only 1 has received a 10/10 with an outstanding price/performance ratio. And that's the M50s.
Enjoy the video!
PS - You should totally subscribe to the MKBHD YouTube channel =]
The ATHM50 series of headphones have a history of being "The best monitor headphones ever", and after owning two (Three now), I've come to first hand experience the unbelievable sound that only Audio-Technica is capable of. Now, I've had a GOOD few pair of headphones (ranging from $20-$150) from the past 7 years I've been interested in music, sound design, and finally sound engineering, so I've had a good run with plenty of different brands of headphones before buying the ATHM50's. From the day they arrived, to the day that they died, I've fallen in love with these Headphones.
I initially bought them because I wanted to be able to hear EVERY SINGLE THING in a song, and these babies do just that. The tiniest sounds in music can be heard with these headphones, and you'll be simply ASTONISHED at what you miss with other headphones. I'll breakdown the important aspects of these headphones below.
- Highs: Crispier than Krispy Kreme Donughts. Wow, that was a bad reference... But in any case, the Highs are crisp, clear, and laser precise. Nothing escapes these headphones.
- Mids: Vocals are ESPECIALLY good with these headphones. Mids are very warm an feel nice against the other amazing sounds being resonated from the ATHM50's
- Lows: As a producer and sound designer... These things are AMAZING FOR BASS. They aren't amplified at all, which is a GOOD thing, because as a music writer, I cannot STAND IT when I make the bass on a song lower because the headphones built in subwoofer was just too dang loud... These headphones make it so that the bass that is produced is the bass that was intended to be heard, not amplified a gazillion times...
- Build Quality: The headphones, physically, feel VERY sturdy and, well, ARE very sturdy. The headband can be a bit tight, but with a bit of stretching and breaking in, it fits snug against your head and ears. The Ear Cups that cushion against your head are VERY, VERY comfortable and feel like 2 big marshmallows. They're very nice! The coiled cable saves a LOT of room, so for those who like coiled cords, you're going to LOVE these. They have a straight cable version too, just not sure if the Limited Edition Red one comes in a straight cable.
- Design: As you know, originally, the ATHM50's ONLY came in Black and White, with the Special Edition Anniversary Silver one a year or so after. The FIRST thing you'll see about these headphones is the BEAUTIFUL Red and Black finish. The color itself is SO EYE POPPING it's RIDICULOUS. Now we can all have a but of style to accompany these AMAZING headphones! Just as aesthetically pleasing as they are functionally pleasing.
GRANTED, although these are INTENDED for professional Mixing and Sound Engineering, these work AMAZINGLY on ANY audio device. Ipod, Consoles, PC, you name it, it all sounds INCREDIBLE. I find myself using it for movie viewing too, and lemme just tell you, that is one HECK of a ride! :D
These are Limited Edition, so they could go pretty fast, so I would pick one up PRONTO!!!
In comparison to headphones like Bose and Beats by Dre, these blow EVERYTHING out of the water. Beats? Not for me, too muddy of bass and they are just too darn expensive, not to mention they require 3 AAA batteries. Bose? They're good for LISTENING, not for professionally making/mixing/mastering music.
All in all, for $150-$160, The Audio-Technica M50RD's LOOK amazing and SOUND amazing, and aren't those two things the most important aspects of buying headphones?
Look no further, you will NOT find greater headphones under $200. GURANTEED. Audio-Technica is THE best headphones company. PERIOD
After these 2 years, I have sat on them, dropped them ect., and they're as functional as the day I bought them! The sound quality is still superb with no disconnections!
The ONLY issue is that after roughly 6 months the pleather ear pads stiffened up and since then they are no longer soft and cushy, but surprisingly still very comfortable! After a couple hours of wearing I just have to adjust them a little bit to keep the comfort but other than that they are good for long sessions!
A note to buyers. These are NOT bass head headphones!!! If you like heavy bass then these are NOT the headphones for you! Personally, I like a good bit of bass, but the comfort and extremely sharp, crisp, clear sound quality totally make up for it! I like the sound quality so much that I'd rather not have heavy bass anymore as much as just clean, quality audio!
So my final verdict is that these are incredible headphones! Super portable, super comfy, and insanely clean audio! The have stood the tests of time and I don't plan on getting any new pairs of headphones anytime soon!
One other side note though, if you can, get a pair with a coiled cable, and buying them used is a great option considering you can get them as low as $40 on eBay. New is good too :)