Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on May 4, 2010
 Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

I test the microphone on a Canon HF200 camcorder at the beach with both Ocean and Creek noise in the background. The difference is quite remarkable. Don't turn your speakers up too loud, as the volume changes quite a bit when I go from on board to lavalier microphone. Note that I had to actually LOWER the volume during edit because the Audio Technica mic would have clipped, otherwise.

During video editing I made the following adjustments:

Sound track +4db (to compensate for excessively quiet on board microphone)
Just the ATR3350 segment -3.4db (to compensate for the Audio Technica microphone being so loud)

Final analysis: If I was using JUST the lavalier microphone, no adjustments neccessary and it would have been right on the money. At $24 (today's price on Amazon) it's a no-brainer. If you have issues with volume narrating your videos and your camcorder has a microphone in port, go for it.

Note: This microphone is mono, so you'll need to correct it in edit (for me it was making left channel into both left and right. Very easy to do.)

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
5150+ comments| 853 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 19, 2015
I was in the market for a lavalier microphone to provide better sound then the internal microphone on my Sony camcorder CX260. There were a couple of informative reviews of this unit on YouTube. The reviews were not uniformly positive but the reviewers were professionals looking for a lavalier for business use. The defects they pointed out, I could live with. Especially since the alternatives after this price range moved right up to $80 plus.

Got the unit, popped in the supplied 1.5 V battery, plugged it into the Sony and got nothing. Actually, got a constant low grade hum. No volume, no words. Two days of research and try this or that helped nothing. I did see another you tube review where the fellow got a unit that didn't work and got a replacement that did. Returned this unit and reordered.

Got the second unit, popped in the battery, plugged it into the Sony and got the constant low-grade hum and very low volume. But it worked. Just not satisfactorily. While I was waiting for this second unit to come I saw another review where the fellow very casually said that the manufacturer was having ongoing problems due to old cheapo batteries. Could that be it? Purchased a two dollar replacement from the supermarket battery rack. Energizer 357/303. Replaced the original battery with the Energizer. Works perfectly. Makes me wonder if that's what was wrong with the first unit.

Been using the microphone for about three days. I will still occasionally get that low grade hum but I found that I can make it go away with just reseating the battery. It's also easily removed by any audio editing software.

The sound from this lavalier microphone is a definite improvement from the Sony onboard mic. An overall richer sound. Also no volume loss due to distance from the camera. Overall a satisfactory purchase for my light duty purposes. If my usage was to be several days a week for a couple hours each day or even constant outdoor use in a variety of conditions, I would spend some more bucks and go in a different direction.

One final point. One of the things I tried to research after the failure with the first unit was whether this was the proper microphone for a camera with an input labeled "plug in power". Plug that phrase into Google in 10 different iterations and you'll get almost complete unintelligible gobbledygook. I'll pass on what I think I learned about microphone power as a public service. Fine with me if anybody wants to correct.

Obviously, all microphones need power to work. My Blue Snowball USB microphone gets its power from the USB port on the computer. My XLR microphone gets power from its own 9 volt battery as is necessary since everybody knows that the microphone in port on your sound card supplies no power. This lavalier microphone needs external power. I don't know the purpose of the 1.5 V battery supplied but I do know that's not enough voltage to power a microphone. The Sony camera supplies an additional 8 V through the "plug in power" port. It is my understanding that almost all camcorders supply power to the microphone plugged into them.
on August 17, 2016
Until recently I was using the built in microphone on an action camera (so you can imagine the quality) to film tutorial videos for yoyo tricks. When I decided to step up my production quality, the place with the biggest room for improvement was the audio. I asked a friend and professional audio engineer to help me find something good without breaking the bank. We ended looking through 30+ products before deciding to go with this microphone.

My setup isn't anything fancy. I use the included adapter to connect the microphone to my cell phone (a Nexus 6) and use a recording app to record into WAV. I ran some tests with it and asked my friend what he thought. His consensus was that while it was't the best he's heard, it performs well above its price tier. To my less astute ears, it sounds quite good. It records (at least using the adapter) in dual mono, so you don't need to do that in post.

The unit itself is quite solid with a metal body to house the condenser, battery compartment and on/off switch. The lavalier clip clams securely. I saw some reviews saying that the clip broke right away, I think that might just be a quality control issue as mine is sturdy and shows no signs of damage after repeated use. This can be a pro or a con depending on your setup, but the cable is extremely long. For me this a bit of a hinderance as my recording device is on me; if you needed to run it to a camera that length would make more sense. Additionally, the cables aren't replaceable, but given the price of the unit I don't think that's an issue. My only main complaint is there's no way to tell how much battery is left or even if there's any power at all when you go to turn it on (you have to check levels in your recorder to see if its powered) as there is no indicator lights.

Video recorded using the camera's built-in mic: [...]
Video recorded using this mic: [...]
on September 2, 2015
UPDATE 8/17/17 - So I usually use this with a prosumer video camera. But the other day I was filming an interview on my iPhone, and I used the included "adapter" (headphone & mic inputs) with the mic. It wasn't until later when I was editing that I discovered that the volume was VERY low. Thinking it was the battery, I changed it out. Still no love. Finally I removed the "adapter" and plugged the mic directly into the iPhone. WOW - what a difference - plenty of level and the sound was much fuller and round. So I'd give the adapter ZERO stars and keep the mic at 5 stars. Learn from my mistakes - don't use the included iPhone adapter!!!

This is my 3rd lav mic that I've bought to use with my camcorder and iPhone/iDevices. I bought two of the Rode SmartLav+ to use with my iPhones for video interviews, etc. They work OK other than only having a 4' cord, but the SmartLav+ was really designed to record audio with the person recording audio also holding the iPhone (or in a pocket on your person). The bummer with the SmartLav+ is that it costs $79, and you still need to buy an TRRS extension chord to use it in any real way (especially if you're shooting video of another person). It's also not the quietest mic I've used.

This little <$30 AT lav mic sounds great (as good IMHO as many of the >$200 Sony lav mics), comes with a 20' cord, battery, AND a cell phone adapter (with a TRRS connector). It records equally well on a camcorder's 1/8" input as well as an iPhone. At the recommendation of other reviewers, I bought a 10 pack of the batteries for this mic.

One tip - make SURE that you've got the battery in the right direction (there's a diagram on the battery holder). At first I had it in backwards (failing eyesight...), and it sounded terrible & noisy. Once I got the battery in correctly, it put out lots of level and sounded rich & full.
on August 5, 2011
** VERY IMPORTANT: If you purchase this microphone and you don't get ANY sound, you need to purchase a MONO to STEREO adapter (a few bucks from Amazon or local retailer). These adapters are so cheap that I would suggest picking one up at the time of purchase just in case.

I ordered this product after seeing good reviews and because I own other Audio-Technica products and have been extremely happy with them. I ordered from Amazon and it came a couple days later. I opened it up and started taking getting it ready. This mic requires the LR44 batteries so I'd suggest picking up a few of those when you purchase the headset too because they last about a dozen hours before dying.

I plugged it into my camera, no go. I tried another mic and it worked fine. I plugged it into my PC, no go. I tried the other mic and it worked fine. I thought it was a loose connection, bad sound card, maybe I put the battery in wrong? Nothing I did would fix it so I ended up starting a return on Amazon, frustrated that it didn't work. I went to lunch, came back and as I'm looking at the plug for the microphone I realize that it's a mono plug. I ran down to a local electronics store and purchased a 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm mono female adapter.

I plugged in the adapter and lo and behold it works perfectly with my PC as well as my camera. I have a feeling a lot of the 1 star reviews and returns on here have been because people didn't know that they needed this for their application (note that some people may NOT need this, especially with more professional equipment).
on October 6, 2016
This is the second lavalier I've purchased. The first one was not from this vender. I actually use this mic to clip on to my Native American flute. A common use of this mic among flute players. The first one worked fabulous with clear crisp sound. After a year of moderate use however it failed. I purchased another as you can't beat the price. The new mic I recieved has considerable background noise(the first one had none). I've not been able to get rid of it. The noise is just enough that I won't be able to use the mic for the purpose I bought it for. So dissapointed. I'm giving it three stars as I feel for the price, that it's a nice little mic and the first one worked well. Not sure is the second one is defective or what the issue is.
on October 17, 2013
I have bought 3 of these and they are amazing. You can use it to record audio on smart phones, DSLR's and video cameras. I have used this with an iPhone, Samsung Note 2, Flip video camera, Kodak Zi-8 and my Nikon 5100, all with AMAZING audio results. I edit all my videos on my Mac with iMovie. They will take your audio from barely audible, to LOUD and crystal clear! It will make you sound like you are recording in a studio, especially when recording outside where there is a lot of background noise. It will eliminate all that. I own a social media/SEO company and have used this for 100's of videos, my client videos as well as all my own video marketing videos. I HIGHLY recommend this mic.
on January 28, 2016
I purchased this mic to go with a Nikon D5200 that I use for work. I was shooting some video clips for a marketing video for my organization. This mic allowed me to use the equipment I already have, versus having to pay a professional or rent professional equipment. This mic had pretty amazing sound quality for this price point. In a loud, crowded room, there was some background noise. But in a semi-quiet environment, this mic performed really well. I was able to use the audio from these clips in our TV and radio ads, which is an indication that it must be decently good. I'm extremely pleased with this purchase.
on February 6, 2013
This microphone is small and simple. It uses a tiny cell battery for power (since it's a condenser microphone, it requires a power source). It has a simple on/off switch on the battery barrel, which is located a few feet from the microphone itself (so you can have the barrel clipped on your belt, and the mic on your lapel or jacket). The included mic clip works fine, as is the included foam windscreen.

** Sound Quality **

This microphone is nowhere near the quality of a $500+ microphone--but it's only a fraction of the cost, so I don't expect that kind of quality. For the price (under $20!), this is far and away the best lavalier mic you can buy. The sound is pretty good, and the high end sounds great. Low end pickup is not so good, but this microphone is made primarily for vocal applications, so that doesn't concern me. My website and YouTube channel both have many example recordings with this microphone.

** Versatility and durability **

I've used this microphone with my iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5, my iPad 2 and 3, an iPod Touch, my Nikon D7000, and some other devices, and it's been flawless (as long as you use the proper adapters! See note below...).

** Battery Life **

I change the CR2 battery about every five times I use the microphone (I bought a strip of extras from Amazon--50 Pack Maxell LR44 AG13 357 button cell battery "NEW HOLOGRAM PACKAGE "--they're cheap enough that I don't care whether the old battery is dead or not. It's better safe than sorry).

** Conclusion **

I've bought three of these microphones for myself, and recommended the microphone to hundreds of other people. Use this microphone instead of the built-in mic on your camera or smartphone, and you'll get a lot nicer audio quality in your recordings. It's cheap enough that there's no reason to *not* try it out.

Note: I wrote an article on my personal website (life is a prayer) that gives a ton more information about my testing with this and other microphones for recording with iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches. Please read that article for more options and ideas.
on December 16, 2014
UPDATED REVIEW: This Mic is now sold under the ATR-3350is model, which comes with a smartphone adapter. Some sellers are selling it under the old model number, but you actually get the newer model anyway. So search the newer model number on Amazon for more accurate pricing.

I originally gave this microphone 5 stars. I loved it! It produced amazingly crisp and clear sound for such a low price, especially considering the fact that other microphones cost in the hundreds for a simple lavalier mic. The only hiccup this mic gave me in many months of use was that the battery died after a few months, leaving me with a couple of videos with no audio (I had to reshoot them).

Unfortunately, it then died in less than a year. The audio began to cut in and out toward the end, as if the wire had a short in it. I would spend hours recording video, only to realize I had completely wasted my time! Very frustrating. I only used it for making YouTube videos.

I purchased a new one on Amazon, but it was defective out of the box. It had a horribly loud "buzz" sound that would fade in and out randomly. I wanted so badly for this microphone to work. I wanted to buy several more for backup, because I was pleased with the original purchase I made and hoped to get a better one. However, after looking at several of the one star reviews, it is clear this microphone has very serious quality control or durability issues.

Therefore, I hate to say it--but you're probably going to be better off biting the bullet and buying a more expensive one. I'm so disappointed, because this mic produces great sound and is a steal of a deal when it actually works. The worst part is that they do have a warranty, but you have to spend $8 when you return it, plus you have to ship the item to them. You may as well buy a new one with that cost.

I wish they'd revamp this item and fix the quality control/durability issues. I'd gladly pay double or triple for a self-powered mic like this that actually lasts.