Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

style: ATR3350 Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,240 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,331 reviews
on May 4, 2010
Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

I test the microphone on a Canon HF200 camcorder at the beach with both Ocean and Creek noise in the background. The difference is quite remarkable. Don't turn your speakers up too loud, as the volume changes quite a bit when I go from on board to lavalier microphone. Note that I had to actually LOWER the volume during edit because the Audio Technica mic would have clipped, otherwise.

During video editing I made the following adjustments:

Sound track +4db (to compensate for excessively quiet on board microphone)
Just the ATR3350 segment -3.4db (to compensate for the Audio Technica microphone being so loud)

Final analysis: If I was using JUST the lavalier microphone, no adjustments neccessary and it would have been right on the money. At $24 (today's price on Amazon) it's a no-brainer. If you have issues with volume narrating your videos and your camcorder has a microphone in port, go for it.

Note: This microphone is mono, so you'll need to correct it in edit (for me it was making left channel into both left and right. Very easy to do.)

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
5150+ comments| 838 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2016
This review is a warning for audio and video beginners who are looking for an easy way to improve sound quality when filming with a Canon T3i.. This mic was inexpensive and I have no audio production experience so the issues I had may not be a problem for others. I purchased this mic to use while filming videos with my Canon T3i which has pretty bad audio quality. After looking up some tutorials online I figured out how to plug this mic directly into my camera to become the primary audio source. The sound quality was terrible! There was a really bad buzzing sound in the background, even worse than using the camera audio. After doing some research I learned that this is a common issues that people had using this mic with the T31 (something about the camera interface causing the background noise). I understand that this doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the mic, still I purchased it to improve the quality of my audio with my camera and it didn't happen.
on July 31, 2013
So when I received this Microphone, it was amazing! Then i left it on all night and after reading reviews I had a whole box off 10 batteries ready to go. The next day we recorded a session and after putting all the video together my lav mic only worked for the 1st 10 minutes, and it was horrible scratchy low volume sound at that!

So I tried it in different cameras and computers trying to convince myself the sound was ok, it does sound better on some devices vs others. Tried new batteries.. etc

I feel stupid for ordering another mic because i was past the 30 day return limit, but I went ahead and ordered a new one. And it sounds perfect with the battery that came with it! I put the new Mic battery in the Mic that was having noise low sound issues, perfect again!

So a long story short is that they advertise on the page that it takes 2 types of batteries. (CR2 and LR44) The LR44 came with the unit, the CR2 most likely would not fit. Aren't all button batteries the same? No, I figured out the hard way they are not the same. I purchased a 10 pack of Philips LR44. I have 10 batteries that do not power this unit in a sufficient manner.

So make sure you try changing the battery manufacturer before throwing this thing out or returning it.

I saw someone comment that they use Duracell D357 (Energizer 357, Maxwell SR44W) it is 1.55 V and 165 mAh I wonder if the extra 'umph' helps it or hurts it.

The correct battery for this Mic is a Duracell LR44 (Energizer A76, Maxwell LR44) it is 1.5 V and 60 mAh and as I have proved some of them wont work, like the Philips brand LR44.(unless i just happened to get a bad batch of 10 old batteries from Amazon)
on August 30, 2016
Update 4-22-17: I've learned a lot since I wrote this review. These mics have incredibly low DB levels. To get normal audio, I had to really bump the levels up in an editor later. Yes, new batteries, etc. The audio is usable, but so, so low that when you bump it in an editor you get a mechanical warbling noise in the background. Use virtually ANYTHING else to get better results than these! I don't know if they were designed to work with specifically an iphone, because there are a number of good reviews. There's no way what I'm experiencing could result in such good reviews. Perhaps it's "just" better than the wind-blown noise of a built-in mic.

Original Review:
I used this today to record interviews on the street. It was hooked to a Nexus 6P phone, and recording was done with the pro/paid version of Voice Recorder v. 3.2.2 by skyroapp. I was using mostly-default settings in the software except for manual gain of +13 dB because otherwise the volume during playback was too low. I had the mic clipped to my shirt per the instructions, about 6" below my chin.

I purposely left the mic on before the interviews started. This included some chatting in the shop, walking to the vehicle with the cameraman, driving to location. The mic was intended as a test since we had a Rode mic attached to our camera cage.

The sound quality was very good. My voice was super crisp and clear. There was virtually no car noise, no wind noise, and you could barely hear other people talking. During the ride in the car, and when interviewing people, they were largely muted, which is perfect! You could use this mic in a loud environment and get very good audio to sync to a video or make an audio recording. You'd need one mic per person, as usual.

I wanted to get the Rode lapel mic because of the brand name and generally-good quality of their products. This Audio-Technica ATR3350 is great and a quarter of the price or so. I can't compare it to the Rode but I can compare it to inexpensive wireless lapel setups we have used in the past. The Audio-Technica sound is more rich, and less tinny-sounding, than the cheaper mics.

I don't think you can go wrong with this mic, regardless of price.
on July 18, 2016
Bought this so I could record podcasts in the car using my Zoom H2n without picking up more car noise than voice (especially with the air conditioner on at full blast during this hot summer). Reading some reviews told me that this is the the only lavalier mic in its price class that's worth getting, so I went ahead and ordered it. Keep in mind, I'm making podcasts, not recording my next Grammy-winning album, so the audio quality I need amounts to being clear and legible, not necessarily studio-quality. If that's what you need, the Audio Technica more than delivers, and I don't see any need to spend a penny more on anything fancier. As for ease of use, there are a few settings that need to be right on both the Audio Technica and the Zoom in order for it to work, so make sure you RTFM for both of them and set all the settings right otherwise it won't work. Oh, and make sure to put the battery in the right way. Other than that, you'll be fine. Put your recorder or camera someplace secure (in my case, I put the H2n in a cupholder), clip the Audio Technica to your shirt (or in my case, the seatbelt), and off you go.

I'm dinging it one star for the ridiculously long cable. That's great if you're a TV weatherman and have to walk around pointing at a green screen, but for anyone else it's WAY too long and makes the mic excessively bulky and awkward. Not that big a deal in the car, but if I were trying to carry this sucker around to do mobile recording, it would get very annoying very fast. It would have been much better for Audio Technica to give the mic a 6 foot built in cable and throw an extender in the box in case you need something longer. Sometimes there really is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

That aside, it's a fine product that's great for podcasters. Buy in confidence.
on June 13, 2015
 I use this mic with my GoPro camera (with the mic adapter) at track events to record the exhaust note on my car. The cable is plenty long enough, and the sounds it produces are fantastic (see the attached video for a sample). My only complaint is there is no way to tell what the battery level is, or whether it's working at all. I lost an entire session because the battery had died, but didn't know it until I looked at the video later. The manufacturer need only add a button to check the level of the battery, or an led indicator that works when it is switched on. If you're looking to replicate this same set up, I used electrical tape to hold the cable in place and dangled the mic near the exhaust. Don't get too close to it, though, my first mic died after the hot exhaust melted the cabling and shorted the mic out. I now position it at the bumper, right above the exhaust, and it sounds the same.
on July 19, 2015
I was in the market for a lavalier microphone to provide better sound then the internal microphone on my Sony camcorder CX260. There were a couple of informative reviews of this unit on YouTube. The reviews were not uniformly positive but the reviewers were professionals looking for a lavalier for business use. The defects they pointed out, I could live with. Especially since the alternatives after this price range moved right up to $80 plus.

Got the unit, popped in the supplied 1.5 V battery, plugged it into the Sony and got nothing. Actually, got a constant low grade hum. No volume, no words. Two days of research and try this or that helped nothing. I did see another you tube review where the fellow got a unit that didn't work and got a replacement that did. Returned this unit and reordered.

Got the second unit, popped in the battery, plugged it into the Sony and got the constant low-grade hum and very low volume. But it worked. Just not satisfactorily. While I was waiting for this second unit to come I saw another review where the fellow very casually said that the manufacturer was having ongoing problems due to old cheapo batteries. Could that be it? Purchased a two dollar replacement from the supermarket battery rack. Energizer 357/303. Replaced the original battery with the Energizer. Works perfectly. Makes me wonder if that's what was wrong with the first unit.

Been using the microphone for about three days. I will still occasionally get that low grade hum but I found that I can make it go away with just reseating the battery. It's also easily removed by any audio editing software.

The sound from this lavalier microphone is a definite improvement from the Sony onboard mic. An overall richer sound. Also no volume loss due to distance from the camera. Overall a satisfactory purchase for my light duty purposes. If my usage was to be several days a week for a couple hours each day or even constant outdoor use in a variety of conditions, I would spend some more bucks and go in a different direction.

One final point. One of the things I tried to research after the failure with the first unit was whether this was the proper microphone for a camera with an input labeled "plug in power". Plug that phrase into Google in 10 different iterations and you'll get almost complete unintelligible gobbledygook. I'll pass on what I think I learned about microphone power as a public service. Fine with me if anybody wants to correct.

Obviously, all microphones need power to work. My Blue Snowball USB microphone gets its power from the USB port on the computer. My XLR microphone gets power from its own 9 volt battery as is necessary since everybody knows that the microphone in port on your sound card supplies no power. This lavalier microphone needs external power. I don't know the purpose of the 1.5 V battery supplied but I do know that's not enough voltage to power a microphone. The Sony camera supplies an additional 8 V through the "plug in power" port. It is my understanding that almost all camcorders supply power to the microphone plugged into them.
on September 2, 2015
This is my 3rd lav mic that I've bought to use with my camcorder and iPhone/iDevices. I bought two of the Rode SmartLav+ to use with my iPhones for video interviews, etc. They work OK other than only having a 4' cord, but the SmartLav+ was really designed to record audio with the person recording audio also holding the iPhone (or in a pocket on your person). The bummer with the SmartLav+ is that it costs $79, and you still need to buy an TRRS extension chord to use it in any real way (especially if you're shooting video of another person). It's also not the quietest mic I've used.

This little <$30 AT lav mic sounds great (as good IMHO as many of the >$200 Sony lav mics), comes with a 20' cord, battery, AND a cell phone adapter (with a TRRS connector). It records equally well on a camcorder's 1/8" input as well as an iPhone. At the recommendation of other reviewers, I bought a 10 pack of the batteries for this mic.

One tip - make SURE that you've got the battery in the right direction (there's a diagram on the battery holder). At first I had it in backwards (failing eyesight...), and it sounded terrible & noisy. Once I got the battery in correctly, it put out lots of level and sounded rich & full.
on February 13, 2016
No go here. I tried this mic plugged into my computer, i have a nice x99 mobo with high end sound and this mic has to be set to AT LEAST +20db to pick up anything usable. At that level of boost there is way to much noise introduced and the audio is a throwaway. I then picked up a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and tried this on my Behringer Q1202 and i had the exact same problem. I had to crank my gains to absolute max to get fair levels, but even on the behringer there was a bit of noise with the gain and level at max. The audio was much cleaner through the mixer, but it still wasn't loud enough to really use the audio. I tried adding more in post which made it sound way over-boosted. Even holding the mic and talking right into it produced the same result. Tried everything i could think of including new batteries. Just ended up being too quiet for my use, and when boosted to usable levels too much noise or distorted sound.

Also the plastic claw holder you put the mic into on the shirt clip broke off on first use.

*Update: after going through forums and other reviews i found the solution. Instead of getting a stereo to mono converter i instead bought a 1/8 phono to dual 1/4 adapter. I just use the black cable, labeled "tip" and i get nice volume right off the bat.
I still don't think the mic gives amazing quality, and i'm bummed i had to get another piece of equipment, also that the clip broke on first use. So i'm switching from a 1 star to 3.
on August 17, 2016
Until recently I was using the built in microphone on an action camera (so you can imagine the quality) to film tutorial videos for yoyo tricks. When I decided to step up my production quality, the place with the biggest room for improvement was the audio. I asked a friend and professional audio engineer to help me find something good without breaking the bank. We ended looking through 30+ products before deciding to go with this microphone.

My setup isn't anything fancy. I use the included adapter to connect the microphone to my cell phone (a Nexus 6) and use a recording app to record into WAV. I ran some tests with it and asked my friend what he thought. His consensus was that while it was't the best he's heard, it performs well above its price tier. To my less astute ears, it sounds quite good. It records (at least using the adapter) in dual mono, so you don't need to do that in post.

The unit itself is quite solid with a metal body to house the condenser, battery compartment and on/off switch. The lavalier clip clams securely. I saw some reviews saying that the clip broke right away, I think that might just be a quality control issue as mine is sturdy and shows no signs of damage after repeated use. This can be a pro or a con depending on your setup, but the cable is extremely long. For me this a bit of a hinderance as my recording device is on me; if you needed to run it to a camera that length would make more sense. Additionally, the cables aren't replaceable, but given the price of the unit I don't think that's an issue. My only main complaint is there's no way to tell how much battery is left or even if there's any power at all when you go to turn it on (you have to check levels in your recorder to see if its powered) as there is no indicator lights.

Video recorded using the camera's built-in mic: [...]
Video recorded using this mic: [...]