Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 4, 2010
Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

I test the microphone on a Canon HF200 camcorder at the beach with both Ocean and Creek noise in the background. The difference is quite remarkable. Don't turn your speakers up too loud, as the volume changes quite a bit when I go from on board to lavalier microphone. Note that I had to actually LOWER the volume during edit because the Audio Technica mic would have clipped, otherwise.

During video editing I made the following adjustments:

Sound track +4db (to compensate for excessively quiet on board microphone)
Just the ATR3350 segment -3.4db (to compensate for the Audio Technica microphone being so loud)

Final analysis: If I was using JUST the lavalier microphone, no adjustments neccessary and it would have been right on the money. At $24 (today's price on Amazon) it's a no-brainer. If you have issues with volume narrating your videos and your camcorder has a microphone in port, go for it.

Note: This microphone is mono, so you'll need to correct it in edit (for me it was making left channel into both left and right. Very easy to do.)

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
5150+ comments| 845 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2015
I was in the market for a lavalier microphone to provide better sound then the internal microphone on my Sony camcorder CX260. There were a couple of informative reviews of this unit on YouTube. The reviews were not uniformly positive but the reviewers were professionals looking for a lavalier for business use. The defects they pointed out, I could live with. Especially since the alternatives after this price range moved right up to $80 plus.

Got the unit, popped in the supplied 1.5 V battery, plugged it into the Sony and got nothing. Actually, got a constant low grade hum. No volume, no words. Two days of research and try this or that helped nothing. I did see another you tube review where the fellow got a unit that didn't work and got a replacement that did. Returned this unit and reordered.

Got the second unit, popped in the battery, plugged it into the Sony and got the constant low-grade hum and very low volume. But it worked. Just not satisfactorily. While I was waiting for this second unit to come I saw another review where the fellow very casually said that the manufacturer was having ongoing problems due to old cheapo batteries. Could that be it? Purchased a two dollar replacement from the supermarket battery rack. Energizer 357/303. Replaced the original battery with the Energizer. Works perfectly. Makes me wonder if that's what was wrong with the first unit.

Been using the microphone for about three days. I will still occasionally get that low grade hum but I found that I can make it go away with just reseating the battery. It's also easily removed by any audio editing software.

The sound from this lavalier microphone is a definite improvement from the Sony onboard mic. An overall richer sound. Also no volume loss due to distance from the camera. Overall a satisfactory purchase for my light duty purposes. If my usage was to be several days a week for a couple hours each day or even constant outdoor use in a variety of conditions, I would spend some more bucks and go in a different direction.

One final point. One of the things I tried to research after the failure with the first unit was whether this was the proper microphone for a camera with an input labeled "plug in power". Plug that phrase into Google in 10 different iterations and you'll get almost complete unintelligible gobbledygook. I'll pass on what I think I learned about microphone power as a public service. Fine with me if anybody wants to correct.

Obviously, all microphones need power to work. My Blue Snowball USB microphone gets its power from the USB port on the computer. My XLR microphone gets power from its own 9 volt battery as is necessary since everybody knows that the microphone in port on your sound card supplies no power. This lavalier microphone needs external power. I don't know the purpose of the 1.5 V battery supplied but I do know that's not enough voltage to power a microphone. The Sony camera supplies an additional 8 V through the "plug in power" port. It is my understanding that almost all camcorders supply power to the microphone plugged into them.
on February 13, 2016
No go here. I tried this mic plugged into my computer, i have a nice x99 mobo with high end sound and this mic has to be set to AT LEAST +20db to pick up anything usable. At that level of boost there is way to much noise introduced and the audio is a throwaway. I then picked up a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and tried this on my Behringer Q1202 and i had the exact same problem. I had to crank my gains to absolute max to get fair levels, but even on the behringer there was a bit of noise with the gain and level at max. The audio was much cleaner through the mixer, but it still wasn't loud enough to really use the audio. I tried adding more in post which made it sound way over-boosted. Even holding the mic and talking right into it produced the same result. Tried everything i could think of including new batteries. Just ended up being too quiet for my use, and when boosted to usable levels too much noise or distorted sound.

Also the plastic claw holder you put the mic into on the shirt clip broke off on first use.

*Update: after going through forums and other reviews i found the solution. Instead of getting a stereo to mono converter i instead bought a 1/8 phono to dual 1/4 adapter. I just use the black cable, labeled "tip" and i get nice volume right off the bat.
I still don't think the mic gives amazing quality, and i'm bummed i had to get another piece of equipment, also that the clip broke on first use. So i'm switching from a 1 star to 3.
on August 17, 2016
Until recently I was using the built in microphone on an action camera (so you can imagine the quality) to film tutorial videos for yoyo tricks. When I decided to step up my production quality, the place with the biggest room for improvement was the audio. I asked a friend and professional audio engineer to help me find something good without breaking the bank. We ended looking through 30+ products before deciding to go with this microphone.

My setup isn't anything fancy. I use the included adapter to connect the microphone to my cell phone (a Nexus 6) and use a recording app to record into WAV. I ran some tests with it and asked my friend what he thought. His consensus was that while it was't the best he's heard, it performs well above its price tier. To my less astute ears, it sounds quite good. It records (at least using the adapter) in dual mono, so you don't need to do that in post.

The unit itself is quite solid with a metal body to house the condenser, battery compartment and on/off switch. The lavalier clip clams securely. I saw some reviews saying that the clip broke right away, I think that might just be a quality control issue as mine is sturdy and shows no signs of damage after repeated use. This can be a pro or a con depending on your setup, but the cable is extremely long. For me this a bit of a hinderance as my recording device is on me; if you needed to run it to a camera that length would make more sense. Additionally, the cables aren't replaceable, but given the price of the unit I don't think that's an issue. My only main complaint is there's no way to tell how much battery is left or even if there's any power at all when you go to turn it on (you have to check levels in your recorder to see if its powered) as there is no indicator lights.

Video recorded using the camera's built-in mic: [...]
Video recorded using this mic: [...]
on May 16, 2017
I ordered this microphone to enhance the sound of my voice in videos and it does a wonderful job. Much like shotgun mics, this has the ability to focus in on the noise you are trying to record and filter out ambient noises. This is not a stereo mic, but mono, which is better for focused noise recordings. I recommend this product for everyone who would like to improve voice recordings. The sound is crisp and clear and the battery powered amplifier really clears things up. I do want to point out that if you buy the ATR3350 mic, and get the package, do not be alarmed if you open the packing and discover the ATR3350is inside. It is the same mic. It even says it on the power unit. The only difference is that the ATR3350is comes with an adapter, so no worries. GREAT PRODUCT!!
on August 5, 2011
** VERY IMPORTANT: If you purchase this microphone and you don't get ANY sound, you need to purchase a MONO to STEREO adapter (a few bucks from Amazon or local retailer). These adapters are so cheap that I would suggest picking one up at the time of purchase just in case.

I ordered this product after seeing good reviews and because I own other Audio-Technica products and have been extremely happy with them. I ordered from Amazon and it came a couple days later. I opened it up and started taking getting it ready. This mic requires the LR44 batteries so I'd suggest picking up a few of those when you purchase the headset too because they last about a dozen hours before dying.

I plugged it into my camera, no go. I tried another mic and it worked fine. I plugged it into my PC, no go. I tried the other mic and it worked fine. I thought it was a loose connection, bad sound card, maybe I put the battery in wrong? Nothing I did would fix it so I ended up starting a return on Amazon, frustrated that it didn't work. I went to lunch, came back and as I'm looking at the plug for the microphone I realize that it's a mono plug. I ran down to a local electronics store and purchased a 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm mono female adapter.

I plugged in the adapter and lo and behold it works perfectly with my PC as well as my camera. I have a feeling a lot of the 1 star reviews and returns on here have been because people didn't know that they needed this for their application (note that some people may NOT need this, especially with more professional equipment).
on August 23, 2014
Written by husband. I did not purchase this to do voice recordings but for occasionally recording my music playing (I play 5 string banjo and guitar). I have tried this both plugged directly into my computer and recording into the free Audacity sound program, and also plugged into my Canon T3i DSLR to pick up the sound for video recording. I have been pleased using both methods. The sound is definitely an improvement over the DSLR's internal microphone. I like that there is a long cord which makes my recording session setup more flexible than the much shorter old external mic I had been using. I also like the clip which can easily be used to attach to the banjo's internal coordinator rods or externally to the tension hoop. I liked the sound with the external connection better, but this is less a function of the mic and more of the banjo's acoustical properties. Although I haven't tried it with the guitar yet, I can see no reason why it wouldn't work well clipped to the sound hole. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because of the lack of a battery life indicator, as mentioned by other reviews. This is by no means a deal killer, but would be a nice enhancement to the product. I hope this review provides some useful information to others looking to try this for something beyond voice recording. I would recommend it.
on October 6, 2016
This is the second lavalier I've purchased. The first one was not from this vender. I actually use this mic to clip on to my Native American flute. A common use of this mic among flute players. The first one worked fabulous with clear crisp sound. After a year of moderate use however it failed. I purchased another as you can't beat the price. The new mic I recieved has considerable background noise(the first one had none). I've not been able to get rid of it. The noise is just enough that I won't be able to use the mic for the purpose I bought it for. So dissapointed. I'm giving it three stars as I feel for the price, that it's a nice little mic and the first one worked well. Not sure is the second one is defective or what the issue is.
on October 17, 2013
I have bought 3 of these and they are amazing. You can use it to record audio on smart phones, DSLR's and video cameras. I have used this with an iPhone, Samsung Note 2, Flip video camera, Kodak Zi-8 and my Nikon 5100, all with AMAZING audio results. I edit all my videos on my Mac with iMovie. They will take your audio from barely audible, to LOUD and crystal clear! It will make you sound like you are recording in a studio, especially when recording outside where there is a lot of background noise. It will eliminate all that. I own a social media/SEO company and have used this for 100's of videos, my client videos as well as all my own video marketing videos. I HIGHLY recommend this mic.
on January 28, 2016
I purchased this mic to go with a Nikon D5200 that I use for work. I was shooting some video clips for a marketing video for my organization. This mic allowed me to use the equipment I already have, versus having to pay a professional or rent professional equipment. This mic had pretty amazing sound quality for this price point. In a loud, crowded room, there was some background noise. But in a semi-quiet environment, this mic performed really well. I was able to use the audio from these clips in our TV and radio ads, which is an indication that it must be decently good. I'm extremely pleased with this purchase.