Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on August 23, 2012
When I read this book, I really wasn't sure what to think. It's a book about nothing, really, other than life day to day. It seems like a journal of sorts. Yet, for some reason, it sucked me in. I am no genius - I didn't even realize the Pi connection until reading other reviews - but I was able to follow the "random" stream of consciousness quite well. I didn't think it was really that big of a deal. And "cancer stick" - why some people complain about the use of this term so much, I don't know. I thought it was a novel way to make an observation, it's really just a colloquialism, deal with it. Having Bridget write a few chapters was a fantastic choice as well. The way it ended was oddly satisfying without that "happy ending," so to speak. I find myself wondering what the two characters are up to now! I really do feel it was an artistic book, so different than anything I've read since college, probably. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for something different. I agree with another reviewer about the cover though - what were they thinking??? VERY misleading. This is true literature, it should have an equally fitting work of art as a cover.
on January 11, 2016
Interesting.
on June 12, 2017
Really enjoyed
on March 18, 2017
great!
on June 14, 2012
This book is good. It edges on great. The prose is tight and engaging. You get drawn into the lives of this innocent couple in the midst of a tidal change in their lives. Having lived in Austin for 16 years, I can say that their description and experiences are authentic. The people they meet, the places they go, the feelings they get from the growing metropolis is one that you only get by living it. In the end, you are left with this profound feeling of adoration for them and can easily see why Michael so loves Bridget.

The way the story is told, by jumping scenes through time and space works great. It was unnerving at first but then you understand, this is how we hold our memories, they are jumbled up and never recalled chronologically. It also pulls all of Michael's existence to the point in time from when this is being told. You are taken to the precipice of what you feel will be a great life for this couple. This shows brilliance on the part of the author. Well done, sir.

That said, I hesitate in giving this a five, because the work does have some faults. I found myself skipping chapters and storylines because they were uninteresting. All scenes set outside of Austin and outside the road to Austin were not needed and simply break up the flow (but perhaps this is a piece of brilliance that flew over my head, it's hard to tell with good art). The seemingly random musings on existence and the universe were not fully fleshed out and wholly unnecessary. Also I couldn't get over the authors use of the term "cancer stick." It was annoying the first time and downright ludicrous the 15th time. Just call it a cigarette
on October 27, 2012
I'm not sure I would title this as a book more along the lines of a journal. Which is basically what it is, since Michael and Bridget seem to be logging entrees on the road. I was thoroughly confused half the time and just bored out of mind the other half. Its not so much as the writing is boring its more of the story itself.

We follow along on the ride to Austin from Michael, Bridget's, The cats home town. Peek inside the mind of a writer trying to succeed. There lives are more on the reserved boring side, only a few exciting things take place.

Then we get into the things like the characters life styles and thoughts... Boring aside from them constantly drinking or smoking pot there's really nothing else that goes on.

I would not recommend nor would I purchase again.
on June 5, 2014
This is basically a series of fragmented little essays, none of which are particularly well-written, but I have to say the writer seems like a nice enough guy. It lacks focus and rambles every which way. There is absolutely no storyline. I skipped much, searching for content &/or style, finding neither. It was brave of him to put such crap out there though. His love of animals was touching. Maybe with some focus and editing this could make a real book.
on January 25, 2013
I enjoyed sharing the journey. It was an authentic read and engaging story. I look forward to more work from this direction.
on August 23, 2012
I found this book weird but well written. One hour after I finished it, I finallly figureed out the numbers at the beginning of each chapter are the numbers of "Pi" I did not like the book in the beginning but as I got into it, it made more sense.
on August 31, 2014
The style and flow of events were not easy for me to follow ; too much jumping around in time.