BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Austrian Cooking and Baking
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 21, 2000
This book has back to back recipes and no pictures, which I found refreshing! It contains recipes for things I remember my grandmother had made but had never written down. I found it a jackpot of the really heart warming recipes that I thought I'd never get a chance to reproduce for my family and would heartily recommend it to others who want a no frills, sensible old style German/Austrian cookbook. The old family favourites like Salzburger Nockerln are certain to get you baking, even if the Lung Strudel never gets a fair go.....Enjoy.
on May 5, 2017
It has a good collection of recipes, and some interesting commentary. I haven't tried them yet, but I wanted to provide a couple of things that might help others. First, some of the recipes are a little old-fashioned. For example, the Gugelhupf recipes are yeast doughs, but the folks I know in Franconia and Austria tend to use baking powder these days. It's not a big deal. Second, and a little more important, the book refers to Regulo gas settings, not degrees Fahrenheit. You'll need to Google up a conversion chart and stick it in the book. I suppose one more minor thing: I didn't notice that this is a Dover book; it's the usual budget-but-adequate print and binding you get from Dover. It definitely won't lay flat unless you pop its spine.
on March 20, 2015
I grew up with Austrian cooking and tried to find the perfect book to recreate the recipes my Oma used to make. This book is fantastic! It has great recipes that I love to make! The only thing you really have to be careful is that it is not a step by step recipe book. You really have to be a confident cook to use it. If you don't mind "a pinch of this and that" without exact directions, you will really enjoy it! If you need things laid out EXACTLY how to do it, then this is not the book for you! I however, have yet to find a better more authentic Austrian cooking book
on December 6, 2011
A book with 302 Recipes, just what I was looking for. It has many classic recipes. No Pictures, but I do not need them. Has also a Conversion Table in there for Foreign Equivalents for dry and liquid ingredients.
Here are just a few Recipes I have seen so far in this book: (All are written in English)

-Backerbsen (for soups)

- Liver Dumplings (Leberkloesse)

- Sauerbraten

- Wiener Schnitzel

- Rahm Schnitzel

- Zwetschgenkuchen (Plumcake)

- Apfelstrudel

- so many Torten and Nachspeisen (cakes and desserts, to many to list)

- Plaetzchen (Cookies)

- Soups

etc....

and many, many more...I think, I will be using this cook/baking book on regular basis :-)
on June 14, 2015
got this for my mom she loves it actually authentic recipes
on November 7, 2013
Good recipes from the old country with a lot of cultural remarks. An enjoyable book mostly for reading and understanding. I have fixed several recipes but I am not a knowledgeable baker. Austrian baking tends to the upper end of things.
on April 20, 2011
If you desperately need pictures with your recipes, this might not be the one for you - which would be a shame, because it really is very good. Most of the recipes are basically the same as my Viennese Grandma's, with minor variations (totally normal, everyone has their own way), and what I've tried so far have turned out exactly as they should.
on January 28, 2014
Hmm, unless you speak German this book is a little hard to understand. Also if you are a novice cook it will be a little bit of a challenge. But the recipes are nice.
on November 14, 2016