Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on October 21, 2009
Perl occupies the sweet spot between shell scripting and C programming, with the ability to lean as far as you'd like in either direction. As a sysadmin, Perl is better than a tool -- its the perfect tool for building tools, and this book is at the top of a very short list of texts which help bring to bear the full power of the best language for cutting down complex tasks down to size.

I've read a lot of Perl books and I own most of the O'Reilly books on the topic. The Otter Book, however, is the one which I cart around with me in my laptop bag wherever I go and is the first place I look for hints on how to attack problems that I face at work or home. It's chocked full of working examples and hints and tips on how to customize them, as well as plenty of context as to why these suggestions work the way they do.

The book is very well written and I highly recommend it to anyone, whether they are a professional admin or just want to cut out some of the repetitive tasks of managing their own workstation.
on January 3, 2014
I'm more of an ETL guy but there are times where I have to write some system code for something related to what I'm doing. It's always that other 20% that you have to do that's odd one offs. I bought this book for the SNMP chapter in it which helped me out, I could quickly clone from some code in here. Now I'm coming back to this book again for the Windows User code/advice because I need to write a script to LDAP pull user/group info over to some linux machines and create user and database user accounts with it.

The author is clear and straight forward. The coding examples are well written and easy to read. This is one of those books that you'll pickup for a section, borrow a design pattern, and then put it down. This is for intermediate to advanced perl users that know how to download and install a module so that they can use the module references in the code samples. I like all the O'reilly books for perl and also use perlmonks.com for code snippets when coding, that's also another great resource.
on April 25, 2017
excellent
on September 24, 2009
The original Otter book was published in 2000, and had a place on just about every sysadmin's shelf as well as most anyone who regularly used Perl. I expect this new 2009 edition will likewise be a "must have" for anyone serious about System Administration and Perl (and any Perl coder, really, given the wide range of topics). While it will likely serve as an excellent reference, I'd also recommend this edition to newcomers to Perl (up there with Llama, Camel and Perl Cookbook) due to the "real world" nature of the tasks covered and the author's obvious depth of knowledge and wealth of experience.

This edition is much updated from the 2000 original, with four new chapters ("Working with Configuration Files" and "Experiential Learning" being two favorites of mine) and two new appendices (including the "10 minute XPath tutorial). Some of what I like best about the book is the exploration of "best of breed" CPAN modules and "Pros and Cons" sections that compare modules for particular tasks. All-in-all very highly recommended!
on November 25, 2010
Definitively this book will learn you about how to use greatful cpan modules, and how to make administrative tasks automatically with perl. I love it much more than python related book

Very completed, talking about logging, network diagnostic, monitoring, advanced perl topics like pack/unpack ...

Very recommendable
on October 8, 2012
Picked up several good base scripts for administration functions, but this manual does not have a cd for the examples, and they are unavailable on the web unless you spend more money. That's a rip off...
on March 12, 2015
Bought this book but never read it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse