Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Automtic "Page" Turning When Exercising - Improvement Needed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2008 9:47:49 AM PDT
For those who read from their Kindle while exercising...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could regulate the speed of the automatic page turning feature? (used when on a treadmill or elliptical, when it's awkward to reach the "next page" button)

As it is it's just a bit fast. I have to use the largest font size to be able to read the entire screen before the screen changes, and even at that I feel a bit rushed.

lg

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 10:25:15 AM PDT
I'm sorry, is there an automatic page turning feature on the kindle? I was not aware of this. So when I am curled up under the blanket on a cold night I can turn on auto page turn and not have to do it manually? How do you activate this?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 10:28:43 AM PDT
Judith Kent says:
"automatic" page turning? please, how do i make that happen? is it in the manual?
judy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 10:30:35 AM PDT
J. True says:
To turn on automatic page turning, press Alt-0. Then press Alt-1 to activate it. Alt-2 stops it.

No, it isn't in the manual.

So far, no one has found a way to regulate the frequency of the page turns.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 10:49:10 AM PDT
Thanks for the tip. I gave it a shot. It turns way too fast for my liesurely reading pace. but good to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 11:08:05 AM PDT
Cool. I did not know this.

I'll have to check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 11:28:14 AM PDT
Wow--learn something new every day! I wasn't aware that the Kindle could do this!

Thanks. :c)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 2:05:12 PM PDT
Susan,
It's here, on Igor's Kindle Easter egg site:

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/hacking-kindle-part-3-root-shell-and.html

"Reader

Alt-B toggle bookmark
Alt-T spell out time
Alt-0 enable/disable slideshow
Alt-1 start slideshow (if enabled)
Alt-2 stop slidehow
Alt-PageForward/PageBackward go to next/prev annotation or one "chunk" (1/20th of a book) forward or backward"

For some reason it twarn't mentioned that the Alt-(0 thru 2) would cause automatic page turning, but these controls were listed as being in the "Reader" environment, so my friend, Tom, thought he'd give 'er a try. He says he's been doing this 'most forever.

Huck

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:17:05 AM PST
Mean Drake says:
How does one do this on the Kindle 3 Wifi where there is no 0 on the keypad but in the SYM section?

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:19:02 AM PST
R. Grace says:
You have to have TTS enabled in your book. Press Aa, turn on speech. Choose the speed that you read at, then turn the volume all the way down. The pages will turn automatically.

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:26:14 AM PST
Artist says:
You have three different speed options when using TTS to turn pages for you. After you start TTS, press the Aa key again for speed options. Turn the volume all the way down and start exercising.

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:28:27 AM PST
JenL says:
Ooooooh I'm excited to try this. Darn my Kindle is at home! I always take my Kindle to the gym to use on the treadmill and silly me I've been clicking my page turns manually.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 10:34:10 AM PST
lamato says:
Does this apply to the k2i?

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:35:54 AM PST
A great feature, I didn't know about. I personally wish there was an access remote to do this that could plug into the unit. In the gym there is always distractions that can cause me to still have to go back where I have missed something. I especially like the elliptical. On the bikes it isn't that big of a deal, but can you imagine a wireless remote that you could hook up and use, somewhat like the mouse or computer remotes you use for power-point and so forth? What a treat that would be for a variety of reasons.

The Keystone Kid

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:41:43 AM PST
Artist says:
Yes, it works on the K2i.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 10:42:56 AM PST
Does this work on the K2-I can't seem to make it work?

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:46:33 AM PST
Mean Drake says:
Wow you guys are great.Less than 10 minutes and I have the solution ..... Can't wait to try it out. Thanks!!!

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 11:21:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2011 11:22:17 AM PST
Artist says:
I have a K2i and it works. First, open the book, then press the Aa key. If turn on is not grayed out (which would mean TTS has been disabled), click turn on. After it starts reading (it takes a few beats), press the Aa key again to change the speed. Then turn the volume all the way down.

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 11:33:45 AM PST
sue says:
this was excellent information!!! tried it and it worked! now i know y i checked this site everyday!

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 12:37:07 PM PST
Does it have to be a book that is TTS enabled? I have a K2 and when I try alt-0 then alt-1, nothing happens. Does wireless need to be on? I tried it with it on and off, and nothing happens

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 12:38:17 PM PST
I just tried it with a book that has TTS and it worked. Is there a way to get it to work with a book that doesn't have TTS enabled?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 12:40:49 PM PST
krystalspin says:
The shortcuts above Mean Drake's question at Jan. 20, 2011 10:17 AM PST were posted for the Kindle 1 (in 2008).

Rachel and Blaiz's intructions work for the K2s and K3s (and DX's, but you probably are not balancing a DX on the treadmill!).

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 12:41:15 PM PST
Sorry - I just found the post that says TTS has to be enabled

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 12:43:04 PM PST
krystalspin says:
The book must have TTS enabled. This was never *meant* to be auto-page-turning, it is a clever thing people came up with.

See what I said just above about the shortcuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 12:52:41 PM PST
lamato says:
Good explanation krystalspin! Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Aug 20, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions