Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 67 reviews
on June 11, 2014
When Gabriel Garcia Marquez died I heard a podcast discussing his work and the critic in the podcast chose Autumn Of The Patriarch (1975) as the most representative of his writing. I was intrigued since it is one of the novels that I hadn't read yet, so I decided that would be the next Marquez novel I would read. it reflects all the great lyricism of other novels such as One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love In The Time Of Cholera. It also catalogs the barbarity of the military dictatorships that once dominated South America and most of Latin America. The book is divided into six sections about the eternal dictator and his cruel reign as well as the discovery of his so-called dead corpse at the onset of each section. The sentences and paragraphs are long, flowing, and lyrical. It is truly one of his masterpieces of modern fiction.
on April 26, 2017
I have read Mr Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude. It was a difficult read for me even though my wife had encouraged me based upon her knowledge of Mr. Marquez's work. The Autumn of the Patriach was too difficult. I simply could not adjust to his total lack of punctuation--sentences that ran on and on with little to no paragraphing at all. Mr Marquez is a great author, no doubt, just not my cup of tea.
on July 23, 2017
This is a masterpiece and the perfect book to read right now as it's about a South American dictator whose name is never known. (One can't help but think of Donald Trump.) The story is told in the past, present and future tense accented with amazing images like cows eating the paintings in the ruins of a once beautiful presidential estate. Marquez drives home the point that dictators live inside their heads, ignoring reality. His henchmen kill the opposition with an avid taste for blood. And if the dictator receives any criticism from the press or others...off with their heads. A must read for anyone who enjoys unique images, surrealistic literature and the deconstruction and decline of ignorance in power.
on August 1, 2017
Just a great book...
on August 18, 2017
Marquez shines in this unusual book. To me, he is among the Top 5 writers in our time. How could I not like it?
on June 18, 2017
ok
on September 18, 2012
That this is a tough read is an understatement. But worth the effort. The story is so relevant: a warning never to forget, as those who hear the word of God hustle politics, believing their own shtick. Marquez's imagination is so astounding it makes me fearful that Western civilization died a long time ago. In the best of my dreams I can only sustain for five seconds what Marquez holds together for his entire novel.
on January 31, 2008
Amazing.
I have no other words describing this book. The narrative style, for those complaining - is in my humble opinion Marquez BEST : spell binding magic realism.
The book details in long and convoluted sentences the minutiae of every day life of a maniac, a universal type of tyrant - which just happens to be caught in Marquez writer's cross hairs in South America. It may be one of the many South American dictators and it could easily be one of their European monster counterparts. Marquez is sometimes sublime, often bold and always funny in a strange way. Recommended !
on April 5, 2016
From the master, always a great read.
on April 17, 2015
Exquisite. His prose reads like fine, thought- provoking gems, one after another after another.