Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 65 reviews
on June 11, 2014
When Gabriel Garcia Marquez died I heard a podcast discussing his work and the critic in the podcast chose Autumn Of The Patriarch (1975) as the most representative of his writing. I was intrigued since it is one of the novels that I hadn't read yet, so I decided that would be the next Marquez novel I would read. it reflects all the great lyricism of other novels such as One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love In The Time Of Cholera. It also catalogs the barbarity of the military dictatorships that once dominated South America and most of Latin America. The book is divided into six sections about the eternal dictator and his cruel reign as well as the discovery of his so-called dead corpse at the onset of each section. The sentences and paragraphs are long, flowing, and lyrical. It is truly one of his masterpieces of modern fiction.
on April 26, 2017
I have read Mr Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude. It was a difficult read for me even though my wife had encouraged me based upon her knowledge of Mr. Marquez's work. The Autumn of the Patriach was too difficult. I simply could not adjust to his total lack of punctuation--sentences that ran on and on with little to no paragraphing at all. Mr Marquez is a great author, no doubt, just not my cup of tea.
on June 18, 2017
ok
on September 18, 2012
That this is a tough read is an understatement. But worth the effort. The story is so relevant: a warning never to forget, as those who hear the word of God hustle politics, believing their own shtick. Marquez's imagination is so astounding it makes me fearful that Western civilization died a long time ago. In the best of my dreams I can only sustain for five seconds what Marquez holds together for his entire novel.
on December 26, 2009
I have been a big fan of Mr. Marquez for many years now, and have read at least four of his other books. This one intrigued me when I read about it, since it is reputed to have been his first.

I found the first fifty or so pages difficult to get into because, typical of Marquez, he tends to write in run on sentences, no paragraphs, and differing persons. Stick with it, however, and the book will captivate you. For anyone familiar with one or more of the dictatorships typical of South America, either past or present, you will become enthralled with his eye for detail. A great read, and an object lesson for would be dictators.
on January 31, 2008
Amazing.
I have no other words describing this book. The narrative style, for those complaining - is in my humble opinion Marquez BEST : spell binding magic realism.
The book details in long and convoluted sentences the minutiae of every day life of a maniac, a universal type of tyrant - which just happens to be caught in Marquez writer's cross hairs in South America. It may be one of the many South American dictators and it could easily be one of their European monster counterparts. Marquez is sometimes sublime, often bold and always funny in a strange way. Recommended !
on April 5, 2016
From the master, always a great read.
on April 17, 2015
Exquisite. His prose reads like fine, thought- provoking gems, one after another after another.
on March 1, 2016
Book appeared as new.
on December 7, 2014
excellent insight into Columbian culture and lifestyle during the period written about.