BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on December 13, 2012
I was certainly predisposed to like this story, as its author was generous enough to dedicate it to me, explaining that it had sprung from an old story of mine. Mr. Bell's a fine writer, and the changes he's worked are both inventive and dramatically convincing.

It's a curious thing--I've written two fishing stories that I can recall, "Sometimes They Bite" (the point of departure for "Autumnal") and the more recent "Catch & Release (A Story From the Dark Side)." Both, like Mr. Bell's, are dark and nasty. Yet fishermen in the main are such a patient, contemplative lot.

Most of them, anyway...

Lawrence Block
on August 18, 2013
Perfect short story to sandwich in over lunch or a coffee break. About a man trying to get a little quiet time fishing. Two hikers interrupt him and they are just weird enough to make you start to wonder. You know something's coming, but the details are a surprise. Nicely done.

It says it is based on a Lawrence Block story, and I was concerned I wouldn't get the story if I hadn't read Block's. But "Autumnal" stands alone just fine. In fact, now I'm intrigued enough to search out Block's original story!
on April 22, 2015
The book had too little story line. It was more like something you would read in the head
Lines of a newspaper. I have read several of
James Scott Bell books and always enjoyed them, but this book didn't compare to his previous books. I will peruse anything else Mr Bell writes before I buy it!
on December 27, 2012
I have read many James Scott Bell novels and this story was a surprise freom start to finish. Short, with Criminal Minds - the TV show - characteristics, it took reading right to the end before I figured it out. A page turner, like all his other books, it was a fast read and one I'd highly recommend, although devoid of any Chrstian characteristics.
on April 16, 2013
James Scott Bell not only writes compelling novels, but short stories as well. This is well-written and true to the genre. Highly recommended.
on December 12, 2014
I enjoy James Scott Bells writings...except this one. Totally disappointed. I will be careful what I read from now on. Thanks...but no thanks.
on February 26, 2013
As is typical of James Scott Bell's work, he both entertains, thrills, and instructs in the craft of writing. This short story had all the elements of great short fiction.
on March 10, 2015
I love the twists and turns - great read!
on August 20, 2013
Don't buy this, it's only a few pages long, not long enough for a decent plot, and a waste of money!~
on December 21, 2012
No spoilers here, just a well written story about hikers and a fisherman. Mr Bell is a great storyteller. Can't wait for his next novel.