Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$4.79+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 174 reviews
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2014
This is definitely not my usual reading fare, and in fact I am not sure why I chose this book. Maybe it had something to do with having just had a root canal and needing something very light to read on a holiday weekend. Plus I think Amazon offered it as a Kindle special when I picked it up. It wasn't bad, just not particularly memorable. It's the story of Edward Schulyer, a recent widower, and his reintroduction into and resistance towards dating. As "an available man," it's not long before the sixtyish Edward starts getting calls from women he doesn't even know and his friends start trying to set him up. His stepchildren even place a personal ad in the New York Review of Books ("SCIENCE GUY. Balding but still handsome . . . "). The rest of the story is pretty much what you might expect. Edward initially resists dating any of the women who have responded to the ad but, lonely and curious, ends up giving in, with disastrous results. The one compatible woman he meets on his own . . . well, that ends up not working out well either. Then there is the former fiancee who left him at the alter decades ago. But never fear, love wins out in the end (of course). I will give Wolitzer credit for creating a sympathetic, likable character in Edward and for giving us what would seem to be a pretty good portrait of widowhood and life after from a man's point of view.
on November 12, 2015
Written by a woman and very much from her point of view, even though it is about a man. Clever and intelligent, but the single man needs some Androgel!!! The final partnering is not so credible, in my opinion.
on July 21, 2013
The characters were relatable. Good story of life after you lose your spouse but no twists, turns, etc. A "fluff" book to me.
on January 13, 2013
Not finishred vwith the book yet but so far it is a good read can't wait to read more to decide how much I like it
on January 7, 2014
First half of the book was engaging, the second turned into a ode to the character's sense of entitlement. Disappointing book to finish, just read half way and you'll still like the fellow.
on September 17, 2014
This was a fairly boring novel. There was very little that wasn't expected. There just wasn't anything really original. But the writing was solid. At least it wasn't filled with cliches.
on February 19, 2014
Perhaps just too sensitive of a topic for me having a few widowed men in my family and as friends. I gave up midway in the book.
on June 8, 2015
Not my kind of book and not really what I expected. Had a hard time getting through it. Perhaps its my gender?
on November 6, 2013
I find the writing in An Available Man wonderful. The characters come alive. But the story drags. There are layers to the main character that must be revealed in just that, layers, but feels to be working its way through molasses. I stayed with it because of the writing. Solid.
on November 28, 2012
Sort of a girly book easy light book with not much depth. Rushed through it to move on to something more interesting.