Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Gifts for Him hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 89 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on March 31, 2008
A new version of Diplomacy is long overdue, with the 1999 release often going for as much as $[...] on Ebay.

Rather than metal or plastic playing pieces, this new version of Diplomacy includes glossy cardboard tokens. Though plastic or metal pieces would have been nice, the cardboard tokens are durable and functional, and probably help keep the price of the game low. The game also includes a big note pad of maps that can be torn off and drawn on. You'll need to purchase seven pencils and seven small notebooks for writing down orders.

This game is very fun to play, but unlike Risk or even Axis & Allies, its complicated nature makes play become tedious very quickly for those who aren't used to plying strategy games. Long story short, this is a great game to play with your gamer friends, but less nerdy friends, even those who like Risk, may not enjoy playing.

It can be difficult to gather the full seven players needed, but luckily, the game can be played with a smaller number (as few as 2, according to the instructions).

All in all, if you like strategy games and history and have enough people to play with, this game would certainly be a wise purchase.
on December 15, 2013
The game board is very well made and looks beautiful too, with sharp lines and good color. The pieces the,selves are cardboard, and although this disappointed me at first, the pieces are actually some tough-ass cardboard if I ever saw it. Rulebook is clear enough. No disappointments in production quality.

Gameplay is tense and I remember multiple times being immersed in the game and the players. I remember everyone writing down orders as fast as they could. I remember being betrayed and betraying others. 10/10 would play again. If i could find more players...
review image review image
on September 3, 2010
Let me start by saying I already like board games and videogames when I played this game. The reason I bought Diplomacy was singular. In fact, I only knew one thing about it before ordering: "It ruins friendships." Or so someone told me. To me, that indicated that the game was both immersive and competitive. If only I knew how right I was.

When it came in the mail, I read the instruction book. That took me about 2 hours. I read it slowly and carefully and studied the diagrams. It's very important that at least one person playing has done this. The more, the better. This game has strict rules and there aren't any luck factors at all. It's pure skill. This way nobody complains about the outcome of the game and everyone feels responsible for their achievements.

This is a 7 player game. It's possible to play with less people, but ideally and in my opinion, you really need the full seven. It took me 2 weeks to organize a game for a Sunday afternoon. I also think it's very important to pick the players wisely; quitters, griefers, cry-babies will just ruin it. This was the biggest challenge I faced with Diplomacy. Nobody I played with knew anything about the game so I spent around 30 minutes explaining and after about 1.5 hours of actual playing, everyone was comfortable with the rules.

It's exciting to have everyone write down their commands at the same time and then have everyone also reveal at the same time. It allows players to make and break plans in cunning or foolish ways. About 6 hours in, we had to stop playing. One player had to go home and it ruined the game balance. At that point, we had only eliminated 1 person from the game, and things were really getting interesting. We all wished we could have played more.

Bottom Line: An experience you'll never forget. I highly recommend even if you'll only get to play it once!
on August 12, 2015
This game appeals to those with an intellectual bent who enjoy negotiating and building coalitions in a geopolitical context. Diplomacy is to Risk as chess is to checkers. There are no dice and the results of each turn solely depend on each player's orders and the support he/she can garner from other players. You should play this game only if you know people well enough that they won't be offended after the game if you betray an alliance.

The classic version uses blocks of different colors to represent the armies and fleets of different countries and it is easy to distinguish one country's units from another's. However, with the cardboard pieces in this version, the pieces look much the same (I have a slight degree of color blindness). I plan to use multicolored blocks and multicolored "popsicle sticks" (cut into thirds) I purchased from a hobby store to use instead of the cardboard pieces; I'll still have to paint some of those white. Multicolored stickers for the cardboard pieces would be an easier solution.
on December 13, 2012
I love this game. I think it is a brilliant way to spend an afternoon, however; this is not a game for everyone.

The good:
One of the most in depth games I have ever played.
Takes hours and hours. (A positive for me)
Can play by mail or play by email.
Simple rules but deep strategy.

The bad:
Takes hours and hours. Honestly, I've never seen a game take less than 5 or 6 hours... Some people won't like that.
Component quality is so-so. The map is beautiful, but the pieces are cardboard... Honestly, I would much prefer wooden blocks or metal pieces. Plastic would be acceptable as well. (I recommend getting wooden blocks from a craft store and painting them to give the game a touch more class)
You need the right play group. This game is at it's best as a 7 player game, and people who are faint of heart will not like this game. It's very backstabby.
ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR KIDS. It says 12 and up... That's waaaay too young. I say 16+

In conclusion: Do research before you buy it. See if it's a game you would be interested in. If you can handle long games of political intrigue... This game is for you, if not, don't get it.
on November 1, 2016
The great grand-daddy of modern tactical games. Chess, Go and Hnefltafl are much older and slightly to one side, they're more the great great great grand-uncles and aunts. Diplomacy sparked off play-by-mail variants, with games sometimes running across continents. In a nutshell, diplomacy is what this is all about. Setting up temporary alliances, letting false plans fall on enemy ears, the works. It's on the borderlands between live role-playing and board gaming. I've occasionally played it, but now it's different. I own a copy.

The quality is excellent, typical of the era it came out. Back when playing pieces were REAL playing pieces!

The rules are simple, even if gameplay will take time to get used to.
on April 15, 2016
Great, great, great game. Even the board looks great. We are still waiting to get a full compliment of 7 players for a hardcore game. As it stands, if you have friends who won't get mad about what goes on in a game, and if you have several hours to spend on a strategy game with no luck, but instead negotiation, this won't disappoint.

(Well, mostly. The reason for the lost star is that the game comes with flat, square cardboard pieces for your fleet and army units. They look so cheap I decided to not even use them, and bought my own set of differently-colored plastic game pieces (ships and cannons) from Amazon to use with the game; it adds tremendously to the feel when playing. That they wouldn't provide quality game pieces for an extra $10-$15 is a little disappointing--good, quality games typically cost more than the $25 price point Wizards of the Coast was apparently trying to hit. Still worth it, just worth noting that if you want a real wargame feel, you might prefer your own pieces.)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2014
As a Diplomacy set for either play or strategizing, this edition is worthless:
1) The pieces are cardboard cut-outs with colors that in some cases are quite difficult to tell apart.
2) The map for Italy, Germany, England, and parts of Turkey and Austria-Hungary is colored so darkly that the black province borderlines are hard to see unless you're standing within 2 feet of the board.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2016
Best board game of all time. Want to know if your friends respect you or not, in 45 minutes you can find out. Then you can think about it for the next few hours as your "friends" slowly wipe you off the map. Very intense game, not for those who take things personally.
on December 5, 2014
It's a great game, but know what you're getting yourself into. It took us an hour and a half to go over the rules, then EIGHT HOURS until the first person was knocked out. We were doing twenty minute timed negotiation sessions, and I recommend you do the same, or shorter. Also, make sure you all agree to be friends in the end before you start, because things will get ugly.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.