Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 135 reviews
on August 12, 2015
This game appeals to those with an intellectual bent who enjoy negotiating and building coalitions in a geopolitical context. Diplomacy is to Risk as chess is to checkers. There are no dice and the results of each turn solely depend on each player's orders and the support he/she can garner from other players. You should play this game only if you know people well enough that they won't be offended after the game if you betray an alliance.

The classic version uses blocks of different colors to represent the armies and fleets of different countries and it is easy to distinguish one country's units from another's. However, with the cardboard pieces in this version, the pieces look much the same (I have a slight degree of color blindness). I plan to use multicolored blocks and multicolored "popsicle sticks" (cut into thirds) I purchased from a hobby store to use instead of the cardboard pieces; I'll still have to paint some of those white. Multicolored stickers for the cardboard pieces would be an easier solution.
on December 15, 2013
The game board is very well made and looks beautiful too, with sharp lines and good color. The pieces the,selves are cardboard, and although this disappointed me at first, the pieces are actually some tough-ass cardboard if I ever saw it. Rulebook is clear enough. No disappointments in production quality.

Gameplay is tense and I remember multiple times being immersed in the game and the players. I remember everyone writing down orders as fast as they could. I remember being betrayed and betraying others. 10/10 would play again. If i could find more players...
review image review image
on December 13, 2012
I love this game. I think it is a brilliant way to spend an afternoon, however; this is not a game for everyone.

The good:
One of the most in depth games I have ever played.
Takes hours and hours. (A positive for me)
Can play by mail or play by email.
Simple rules but deep strategy.

The bad:
Takes hours and hours. Honestly, I've never seen a game take less than 5 or 6 hours... Some people won't like that.
Component quality is so-so. The map is beautiful, but the pieces are cardboard... Honestly, I would much prefer wooden blocks or metal pieces. Plastic would be acceptable as well. (I recommend getting wooden blocks from a craft store and painting them to give the game a touch more class)
You need the right play group. This game is at it's best as a 7 player game, and people who are faint of heart will not like this game. It's very backstabby.
ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR KIDS. It says 12 and up... That's waaaay too young. I say 16+

In conclusion: Do research before you buy it. See if it's a game you would be interested in. If you can handle long games of political intrigue... This game is for you, if not, don't get it.
on December 27, 2014
This is a fantastic game because it relies on complex strategies, like chess, where you have to consider multiple different possible moves and outcomes, but has a very pronounced human element, as well. There is a learning curve but by the third game everyone is very much up to speed, and even the first game is not too difficult, but play may proceed more slowly. What makes it interesting is the interpersonal dynamics of the negotiations between moves. Luck is mainly a result of player choices, there are no dice. The difficulty is getting enough players--you really should have at least five players or more to have the most fun with it. The game tonight involved five---France, Germany, and Turkey allied against Russia and Austria-Hungary, and although outnumbered, Russia-Austria-Hungary was holding their own and pressing Germany hard and within a couple campaigns of destroying Turkey when the game was halted. France had a giant army and Navy (having stayed largely out of the conflict!) but was in no position to defend or help either of its allies. This particular set has a great board and good maps but the pieces are punched out of cardboard. I recommend using Risk wooden blocks for the armies and the Risk beans for navies. Works much better than the cardboards. The flags made out of cardboard, however, are fine.
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2013
It is a classic game.

Diplomacy is an excellent game where the name really does get at the essence of the product.

Players take the role of head of state for countries during the Great Powers period.

Through hook and by crook they connive, wheel, deal, and renege on agreements in order to capture territories and capitols.

It is not a matter of whether you will betray the other players, it is only a matter of which turn.

The rules are amazingly simple, and there is no chance involved.

For those of you with a mind towards stealth and subversion, this is the perfect strategy game.
on April 15, 2016
Great, great, great game. Even the board looks great. We are still waiting to get a full compliment of 7 players for a hardcore game. As it stands, if you have friends who won't get mad about what goes on in a game, and if you have several hours to spend on a strategy game with no luck, but instead negotiation, this won't disappoint.

(Well, mostly. The reason for the lost star is that the game comes with flat, square cardboard pieces for your fleet and army units. They look so cheap I decided to not even use them, and bought my own set of differently-colored plastic game pieces (ships and cannons) from Amazon to use with the game; it adds tremendously to the feel when playing. That they wouldn't provide quality game pieces for an extra $10-$15 is a little disappointing--good, quality games typically cost more than the $25 price point Wizards of the Coast was apparently trying to hit. Still worth it, just worth noting that if you want a real wargame feel, you might prefer your own pieces.)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2014
It's a great game, but know what you're getting yourself into. It took us an hour and a half to go over the rules, then EIGHT HOURS until the first person was knocked out. We were doing twenty minute timed negotiation sessions, and I recommend you do the same, or shorter. Also, make sure you all agree to be friends in the end before you start, because things will get ugly.
on September 18, 2013
This game...I bought Diplomacy for my husband because he has had it on his wish list for some time. I am a HUGE fan of games like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Elder Sign, Pandemic, etc., and thought this would be something fun to do together.

WRONG.

If you're looking for a silly good time like you get with the games above, don't bother with Diplomacy. We first played the two-player version, and my brain hurt just trying to absorb the instructions. We decided the best way to learn was to just start playing and correct ourselves when we discovered we weren't doing something right. It took us a couple of hours just to get going, and then we played a couple more fast-paced games. I have never played Risk, Axis and Allies, or any other war-related strategy-type games, and so I found myself at a significant disadvantage. It's difficult to see where you have some of your pieces because they blend with the board, so meticulous record-keeping helped a little, but overall I found my husband was much better at keeping track of his forces and thinking far ahead of me. I am not a great loser, so I found it frustrating, but it must have been at least a little fun because I continually challenged him to rematches.

We have only once played with a group (5 people, I think), and THAT'S when things really started to get fun. It turns into quite the riot when you run into another room, collude with another playing to stab a friend in the back, and they end up betraying you on the next turn. This is really where you learn who of your friends and family are the good liars, who are the ruthless strategists, and who you're going to kick the crap out of.

I only give 4 stars for durability because of the insane number of teeny tiny pieces. With diligence, this game will last a long time, but because some of the little tokens blend with the board so well, it can be really difficult to make sure everything gets put away. On a more basic level, all the pieces are thick cardboard and the board itself also seems sturdy and well-constructed.
on June 3, 2017
Lengthy but enjoyable. Fewer players = more conquest. More players = more conflict. Nice cross between "Risk" and "Settlers"
on November 21, 2016
It is a good game but I didn't notice that it takes a lot of time to play. I prefer games that last around 1 or 2 hours. The estimated time for this game is 6 hours. I am not saying it is a bad game but keep in mind that it last 6 hours before buying it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.